Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 08:41 AM   #1

Magnetic oil drain plug

I got a replacement magnetic oil drain plug and I'm changing the oil today. A forum member was selling them a while back...

Couple of concerns/questions...

The one I have contains a 19 mm bolt head on it, and it sticks out about a half inch. The factory one is flush with the oil pan. Should I be worried about this? I see no bottoming out scrape marks on the oil pan.

Next, it has a black plastic gasket, not the aluminum one that should be swapped out each time. Should I use the plastic one or an aluminum one?

Last, the magnet is very securely attached to this steel bolt, probably with epoxy or JB weld (can't tell if it is screwed into the bolt as well or not). Now if I'm thinking right, to attract metal to the exposed end, the glued end is the opposite polarity, pushing away from the bolt, right? That gives me rise for concern. What if the glue gives way and that magnet takes off and finds some steel to attach itself to in my motor?

So, here are THREE questions for some knowledgeable about these plugs... Please don't post a best-guess if you don't know much about them or their use. This is my motor we are talking about here, not a tire preference or something else that's quite subjective.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #2

I went ahead and put the factory plug back in with a new crush ring. Hopefully, I can get some good info here for next time I change my oil ... Um, when I change my oil in 2013 that is!
Old 01-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #3

For the past year I have been thinking the same exact thing !!! Wondering how it was attached ? And if it became un-------attached !!! Just wondering.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
It works well with no issues. Your concern is understood as anything not OEM can lead to questions. However I have been pleased with mine and while it does stick down if you look around you will see it is not the lowest part of the car. If you hit the plug, your going to have more issues then just a dinged drain plug!

In the end, it really is just your choice as you have to feel comfortable with anything you do on your car...as for me...I am good with it and have not thought twice about it.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #5

I just might use it next oil change then.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #6

randall:

i had the exact same "questions" once i received mine. i kept wondering what would happen if i hit a small rock since the head does not sit flush with oil pan.

i kept putting off using it.

a previous oil change however forced my hand. i "stripped" the oem plug's head (sorry, words fail me - the part that you put the hex bit into, not the threads themselves) and had no alternative other than to put the "big head" bolt in. i figured i'd change it out with the next oil change.

that was almost 10k miles ago. no issues with it. yes it hangs a little lower but not enough to actually hit anything. no leaks from it. i used the "heat resistant" washer and placed a regular crush ring on top though after asking the seller about he, he said it's not necessary. just figured "why not".
[------ oil pan -----]
[--- crush ring ----]
[- plastic washer -]
{== big head ==}

since putting it on, i've driven to colorado and canada. some mountain roads and a couple of "loose" pavement roads. no issues.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 01-31-2012 at 06:41 AM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:50 AM   #7

They are the neodimum magnets. Though they are very strong they are also very brittle. If they took off they probably would be chewed up by the machinery inside. I don't have one but thinking of it for the next change. I tried to put some on the head of the bolt but those nuts are not iron. So, has to be on the inside glued.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycarreon View Post
randall:

i had the exact same "questions" once i received mine. i kept wondering what would happen if i hit a small rock since the head does not sit flush with oil pan.

i kept putting off using it.

a previous oil change however forced my hand. i "stripped" the oem plug's head (sorry, words fail me - the part that you put the hex bit into, not the threads themselves) and had no alternative other than to put the "big head" bolt in. i figured i'd change it out with the next oil change.

that was almost 10k miles ago. no issues with it. yes it hangs a little lower but not enough to actually hit anything. no leaks from it. i used the "heat resistant" washer and placed a regular crush ring on top though after asking the seller about he, he said it's not necessary. just figured "why not".
[------ oil pan -----]
[--- crush ring ----]
[- plastic washer -]
{== big head ==}

since putting it on, i've driven to colorado and canada. some mountain roads and a couple of "loose" pavement roads. no issues.
Just the comment that I need to proceed with mine. Got the same concern since I am really thinking of doing the same thing. Hopefully, I could do it the right way. It would be such a mess if something would just leak out. Anyway, thanks.

Last edited by kotto; 07-08-2012 at 05:22 AM.
kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Now if I'm thinking right, to attract metal to the exposed end, the glued end is the opposite polarity, pushing away from the bolt, right?
Magnets only repel other things with a magnetic field (of the same polarity). They attract non-magnetized metal to both poles (drop a magnet in a box of nails, and you'll see them attracted to both ends. I wouldn't worry about this...

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote