Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster and Cayman Classified Ads > Boxsters and Cayman Cars for Sale or Wanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 07:04 AM   #1
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
1999 Boxster, 128K, hardtop, lots of parts - Atlanta

PICS now added below

For sale is a 1999 Porsche Boxster. This is a Tiptronic Arctic Silver Boxster with black power soft top in great shape. Also comes with the factory hardtop, which really transforms the car during cooler weather. I have a clear title in hand.

I currently have it on CL for $7000, but my forum price is $6000 with the hardtop, $5000 without.

The car has 128K on it, it is no garage queen! This is how a Porsche should be treated, it should be driven! It has a few dents and dings but nothing major. A previous owner did have a minor accident that resulted in no airbag deployment and no frame damage. Car drives fine with no pulls or alignment issues.

I have a number of parts and upgrades that I have not installed yet, I just don't have the time to tinker with cars like I used to. I currently have another car project that has been taking what time I do have. Not that this is a project car, it is not. It is a running driving car with the ability to be a daily driver.

EXTERIOR
Couple of dings and on the hood, and a few imperfections on passenger front fender, not a dent really more like someone leaned on the fender and left a little ripple in the sheet metal. All doors, trunks, etc close and open perfectly. Black fabric convertible top is in good shape with no leaks, and the power mechanism works perfectly. Rear bumper has a small tear from me bumping into my trucks trailer hitch when I was moving cars around in my driveway. I was quoted $250 to fix it.

Headlights, tail lights etc all work fine.

INTERIOR
Boxster red leather in pretty good shape, driver's seat has some cracking in the usual spot, but perfectly serviceable. I have some extra Porsche leather that could be used to replace the worn areas if so desired. These were replacement seats from a wrecked Boxster, the original seats were trashed. Carpets are in good shape and have been re-dyed in the Boxster Red. Most Boxsters with the red interior now have pink carpet after it has faded. This one does not. Dash and console are perfect.

MECHANICAL
Previous owner had the transmission rebuilt at around 110K, but he refused to give me the receipts. He was an odd dude. So I can't prove the transmission has been rebuilt, but you can test drive the car and see that transmission works fine.

Engine runs fine with no issues. It is leaking a little oil around the spark plug tubes on the driver's side. I have new tubes and o-rings, and will include them with car. Also have a new set of spark plugs that it would make sense to change while doing the tubes. This is an easy DIY, check youtube.

I also have a new air-oil separator that I was going to install as preventive maintenance. These often fail, and I was ordering other parts, so I went ahead and got the parts to do this job as well. Will include with sale.

WHEELS/TIRES
Original 17 inch wheels with like new front tires, and new rear tires with less than 1K on them. Matching Sumitumos. Wheel have been repainted by someone, not bad, but not perfect either.

SUSPENSION
Rear suspension needs to be freshened, I have all of the parts to do this, control arms, drop links, etc. I drive the car almost every day, so it is okay as is, but you get a creak/groan occasionally.

Front Suspension
Needs tie rod ends, maybe other parts. Haven't looked into the front suspension as much as I have the rear.

Shocks/Springs
Here is a nice bonus. I have a set of OEM struts and Springs from a 2003 Boxster S that were removed from the vehicle after logging only 3000 miles. The owner of the 2003 Boxster upgraded his suspension with a racing suspension, and he sold me these springs and struts for a good deal. There are a perfect swap and will fit perfectly. Will not change ride height, but should have a little stiffer spring rate. Again, I bought these but have just not taken the time to do the work.

ELECTRICAL

5 month old AGM battery. Have dongle attached for trickle charger.

Remote lock/unlock does not work. Key/remote needs to be reset/paired to the car, which requires a Porsche software visit, either the dealer or a German speciality repair shop.

Has been upgraded to a 4 stalk assembly that enables the onboard computer functionality. Works perfectly

OTHER STUFF

I upgraded the stereo to a Becker CD-220 and added an iPhone iSimple cable so that you can stream music using the AUX setting. Door speakers have been upgraded to aftermarket mid-bass speakers in original enclosures.

Have all of the windscreen inserts and the center clear panel.

So there ya go, I list way more stuff than most people do in their ads. No one else has a perfect car either, they just don't tell you about its flaws. This one is not perfect, but I'm not pricing it like it's perfect either, AND I'm including well over $1500 in parts.

Drive it today, upgrade it on the weekends, and in no time it will be worth much more. It is a blast to drive.

Although I don't have a picture of it attached, don't forget that this price includes the original factory hardtop, which sells for over a $1000 by itself on Craigslist. It is hanging on the wall in my garage, thus no pictures.

Last edited by leftfield6; 06-15-2015 at 08:44 AM.
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Found some pics on my Flickr account

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
Old 06-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #3

Garage
Great ad. Love the fact that the car is driven. GL with sale.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:49 AM   #4
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
I'm going to leave the for sale ad up, but be aware I'm tackling a few of the needed updates and repairs over the next few weeks. Might need a few days notice before anyone comes to inspect it.
Old 06-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #5

Is the car titled in Georgia? I ask given the plates
BrakeExpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:03 AM   #6
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
I have a clear Virginia title. At the time I purchased the car I had a 2nd house there and the car stayed in a garage there. Plus property taxes were lower there.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:13 PM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Bump...

If it's not already sold, someone needs to buy this. With all the extras its a great price on a good serviceable car. I am very tempted to sneak out and get it on a day off, but 3 Boxsters, making 9 cars in the driveway, is a bit more than I can drive in a week.

(Hmmm, maybe I could get a Redtele58-style warehouse...)
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
(Hmmm, maybe I could get a Redtele58-style warehouse...)
I'm flying to San Antonio in a few days to bring home another '99 I found. Even the warehouse is getting full. Stay tuned for pics in about a week.

leftfield6 - sorry - I don't mean to hijack your posting. If I didn't already have a silver/red Boxster (against the wall behind the hard top car), I'd be in the hunt on yours. Silver/red is my favorite combination, and yours looks like a fun driver and a great project - my favorite hobby in the world!

Rick
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTele58 View Post

leftfield6 - sorry - I don't mean to hijack your posting.
No worries, a bump is always appreciated. I haven't been actively pushing the sale lately, I've taken it off CL for the time being, just because I was tired of answering the "would you trade it for a rusty 1974 Vega" nut jobs that CraigsList seems to have a plethora of.

I've added Litronic headlights to it within the last week, and also the "Comfort Top" module.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:59 PM   #10

Just checking to see if this is still available. PM'ed.
Hammerhead2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #11
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Pm responded. Car is still for sale although I haven't actively been trying. Need to finish suspension work before it's ready for test drives.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #12
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
BIG PRICE DROP and UPDATES

I have not been actively pushing the sale on this car for a while now. Life has gotten crazy busy with a new job, and trying to finish up stuff at my old company. I have had time to do some things to the car, and have spent some money on a few updates, so let's bump this up with a new price and some new info.

Okay, price. $5250 with hardtop, $4500 without.
  • rear suspension has been completely refreshed. New control arms, new track bars, new sway bushings, new droplinks, struts, springs, brake discs, brake pads.
  • New outer rear CV boots on both sides, CVs are all in great shape.
  • Rear calipers repainted in Porsche red with new white Porsche lettering
  • Parts purchased for front end work, but not installed yet. Some parts new (inner and outer tie rods), and some purchased from a 38K wrecked Boxster that got crunched in the rear and was totaled. Those items include control arms, and an M030 front sway bar and droplinks. In addition I have new bushings for the sway bar. As listed in the original post up top, I do also have the 5K mile springs and struts from a 2004S for the front. Also have the new brake discs for the front.
  • Car now has Litronic headlights installed.
  • Now includes a custom fitteed outdoor car cover.
  • For a full price sale, I will also include a set of 18 inch Carrera wheels that will work with spacers for the rear. Wheels are in great shape with worn out tires currently mounted. Tires can be removed for easier transport.

After I did the rear suspension work, I had a four wheel alighment done. Rear lined up perfectly, with the all new bushings and parts, but the front he could not get into specs. Just too many worn out parts under there. But I have all the parts, just need to be installed and then re-aligned. I disclose this here so no one will be surprised by a front end that feels loose and "darty".

Looking to move this car soon. I start the new job on Monday, and will no longer have time for my car hobby.

Last edited by leftfield6; 10-14-2015 at 09:41 AM.
leftfield6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 05:50 PM   #13

Dude. I hate you! I would so love to buy this car, and I'm not very far away but I just have too many cars!

I bought a 2002 4Runner last week (now I have two!) to pull our waverunners and do chores. I went to get a tags today and I have none left! Put another way, to put a tag on my $3600 4runner, I have to spend $400 for the tag plus tax! No way. Gotta sell a car.

So if I came up and bought yours I'd be in the same boat!

Thats alot of car for the money. Best of luck on your sale!

Don in Panama City Beach.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:12 PM   #14

Garage
I think I've got this one. PMs exchanged and plans being made.

That will give us two matching Silver '99s (Tip and a 5-speed), plus the black 99 and white 01 to balance things out. The neighbors already think we are a bit odd, so one more isn't going to hurt relations. A line of shiny roadsters in the driveway is art. (I'm still hoping to find a way to build a bigger garage some day.)
:dance:

Old 10-15-2015, 05:13 AM   #15
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Deposit received from 78F350, I think we can consider this one sold. Thanks all!!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 AM   #16

I have to ask. Is he taking the hardtop with it?
Old 10-15-2015, 06:52 AM   #17
Yeah, I've done that.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhead2501 View Post
I have to ask. Is he taking the hardtop with it?
Current agreement includes hardtop with sale. Sorry, man, I know you are really looking for one!
Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #18

Excellent! Thank goodness.

How good is this deal?
Your getting a whole car for the price of a used motor and installation.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:53 PM   #19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Excellent! Thank goodness.

How good is this deal?
Your getting a whole car for the price of a used motor and installation.
It has been killing me for months seeing this car not sold. It just didn't make sense to me. ...so what if it needs a little attention here and there, it comes with the parts and foreknowledge. I'm really excited. Never thought my wife would buy off on it, but it turns out she agreed totally.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
It has been killing me for months seeing this car not sold. It just didn't make sense to me. ...so what if it needs a little attention here and there, it comes with the parts and foreknowledge. I'm really excited. Never thought my wife would buy off on it, but it turns out she agreed totally.
You're catching me Brother - I'd better step up my game!