Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2018, 03:31 AM   #1

Wow, switched from EBC to Hawks

Well I’ll start by saying I feel pretty foolish. I’ve been running EBC yellows and reds for years and have been promoting them to everyone including people on this site. I run time trials, and HPDEs and have always been the only guy running them and have ignored everyone telling me to switch to Raybestos or Hawks. Well I finally switched to Hawk 70s and I am in utter shock how effective these are. I spent the warm up lap tapping the brakes in complete disbelief. These require half the braking effort to lock up my 255 square Hoosier setup. At no point do I have less braking power than traction. Couldn’t be more impressed.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 04:38 AM   #2

yeaaa. EBC are ok for entry level guys who want to run them on the street. I switched to PFC 08s and not only do they last longer, the braking power is way up and they can take all the heat you can throw at them. The EBC also seem to be very sensitive to bed in, because I took a set of basically new pads out, they green faded bad in about 4 laps, and then crumbled to nothing after a 2 day rain event.

I know tom runs them in his SPB so maybe he's just not using the brakes like spbs should ( ), but I'm much happier with the PFC
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:30 AM   #3

Garage
I've purchased a set of HPS (front) and HP Plus (rear) for my winter refresh project. I've used the same setup on my Miata and it was extremely effective. Porsche people seem to gravitate to EBC and Padgid for some reason.
2001 Boxster 986 (base) #414
-PCA GGR: Class Champion AX12 '18, '19, '20; CC06 '21; CC05 '22; PAX 5th '19, 3rd '20, '21, & '22
-PCA Zone 7: Class Champion P14 '18, '19; P02 '20; P-03 '22; PAX Champion '20 & '21
BrantyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrantyB View Post
I've purchased a set of HPS (front) and HP Plus (rear) for my winter refresh project. I've used the same setup on my Miata and it was extremely effective. Porsche people seem to gravitate to EBC and Padgid for some reason.
I've heard some bad stuff about hawk's street pads, but there is a strong contingent of guys who like their DTC track pads.

Pagids or PFC seem to be the most popular for track pads on porsches.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:07 AM   #5
Who's askin'?

I went with EBC (yellow) because in the superbike world, EBC is the shizz-nitz. I'm not terribly impressed with them in the car.

I asked some of the guys at the track what they're running, and found a remarkable bunch are using the Pagid RS29.
I'll probably go that way over the winter.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #6
Racer Boy

Yeah, I’ve been running EBC Yellows, and am not happy with them. They judder badly when they get hot. Since they are okay on the street, I’ve put up with the mediocre performance on the track, as I guess I’m too lazy to switch back and forth with different pads for different uses.

I just got another set of wheels for more track oriented tires, since I will be switching wheels I may go ahead and switch pads at the same time.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #7

I've run Hawk pads in all of my race cars over the years. Loved the DTC70F/60R combo on my last 2 car but alas, they do not make that setup for the 986 base. I'm currently running DTC60 front and blues on the back.
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
Rennzenn

Garage
I had the Hawk HP Plus on my car for AX and I'd swear that thing would do nose wheelies it stopped so well.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #9
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
I know tom runs them in his SPB so maybe he's just not using the brakes like spbs should ( ), but I'm much happier with the PFC
I used to run EBC Yellow but about a year ago I moved to Pagid Orange.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #10

Brake pads are like oil - everyone has a favorite.....

Let's see since I started tracking cars I've run Carbotech XP8,10 and 12, Porterfield's, Raybestos ST41 and 43, and Pagid Black and Yellow RS29. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few. Carbotechs were ok - but wouldn't go back, they chunked a lot and didn't wear near as a well as the others.

I'm currently running the Pagid yellow front and black rear after running black front and rear on the Boxster. I ran the others on my TT and S4. Really like the Raybestos combo on my S4 and might give it a shot on the Boxster when I need new pads.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:59 AM   #11

I just put on a set of EBC yellows and maybe they work well for me because I dont push them to the max. I had considered PFC 08s and almost pulled the trigger on them before I put in the new seat and harness setup. That had a negative impact on the budget. Maybe for the next set, and call me cheap, but I can get 2 sets of EBCs for one PFC 08 my first car cost less than these
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 06:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastta View Post
Brake pads are like oil - everyone has a favorite.....
That's very likely true, but for what it's worth, everyone who runs out of the same shop as I do has Pagid blacks all around...that's about 8 SPBs ranging from DFL to podium finishers. I've run yellows, and I've run PFCs and I really can't tell a difference, though to be fair I've never tested them back-to-back on the same day. Blacks are the cheapest, so that's the answer for me. I mash the pedal, turn, and go

I am, however, considering the PFCs as I've been mowing through a set of fronts every weekend (test day plus 3-day race event) with the Pagid blacks. I run them basically down the the backing plate, but I wonder if PFC's wouldn't get me just a little more life.
Spec Boxster #714
PGas32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGas32 View Post
That's very likely true, but for what it's worth, everyone who runs out of the same shop as I do has Pagid blacks all around...that's about 8 SPBs ranging from DFL to podium finishers. I've run yellows, and I've run PFCs and I really can't tell a difference, though to be fair I've never tested them back-to-back on the same day. Blacks are the cheapest, so that's the answer for me. I mash the pedal, turn, and go

I am, however, considering the PFCs as I've been mowing through a set of fronts every weekend (test day plus 3-day race event) with the Pagid blacks. I run them basically down the the backing plate, but I wonder if PFC's wouldn't get me just a little more life.
The Yellow RS29's last longer for me than the blacks in the front, which is primarily why I run them. They have a little better feel to me as well.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #14

Which Raybestos and Hawk pads are no squeal for the street.....I have got to change all four wheels. They will be going on mid to late late life rotors.