Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 08:28 AM   #1

Transmission mounts...RS

In my continuing efforts to elevate this car's track worthiness, I'm considering the replacement of my transmission mounts. My engine mount is a new lemfoerder unit.

While I don't believe the NVH of the semi-solid wevo style mounts would appeal to me, I'm thinking the RS style solid rubber engine mounts for 993 cars would offer an in-between solution that tightens up the mounting of the transmission without being stiff and noisy.

Anyone use this mount for this purpose or have any related experiences?

Thanks

Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #2

i am running a function-first engine mount insert - the 'street/track' yellow version, and the rennline transmission mounts - the 'street/track' blue version. did not notice any significant increase in nvh from the engine mount. did notice some from the transmission mounts, however not significant or off-putting, and the dramatic increase in shifting performance was well worth the expense. also, with the rennline units you get three sets of rubbers which you can swap between as required. ditto engine mounts - you can buy various densities (track, street/track, comfort) and swap as required (if you find the nvh too bad).
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Radium King View Post
i am running a function-first engine mount insert - the 'street/track' yellow version, and the rennline transmission mounts - the 'street/track' blue version. did not notice any significant increase in nvh from the engine mount. did notice some from the transmission mounts, however not significant or off-putting, and the dramatic increase in shifting performance was well worth the expense. also, with the rennline units you get three sets of rubbers which you can swap between as required. ditto engine mounts - you can buy various densities (track, street/track, comfort) and swap as required (if you find the nvh too bad).
RK... did you need to drop your trans to do the mounts? I didn't realize there was a good option other than stock for the trans. I'm running a new 997 mount. My original was literally free floating. Like the rubber insert literally fell out when I removed the mount. The 997 is much more substantial.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #4

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/36-TRANS-Tranny_Mounts/36-TRANS-Tranny_Mounts.htm
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:21 AM   #5

I've got the oem.engine mount and wevo trans mounts. I don't notice any increase in nvh except when I'm idling, and then there is a vibration, almost like a back massage, and if my camera on the bk bar is loose (when it is loosened so I can get the memory card out) it buzzes at idle. When tight it is silent.

It's not bad at all
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:25 AM   #6

alright, will give it a go. I'm using uro brand (which get good reviews, believe it or not) so total cost is $100.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #7

Ah, very nice. Brainless! Thanks! It might be helpful sometimes if I actually LOOK in my 101 book every now and then!
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can go cheap and cheerful and very effective with some poly and the original mounts
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:23 AM   #9

certainly a good option but went with the RS units

thanks
Old 03-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #10

RS mounts are in.

They bolted up fine and seem to be a good compromise between the stock fluffy mounts and the wevo semi solid.

There is some NVH, but its not bad by any means. Shifting is crisp.