Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster Owners and Others > Porsche Boxster & Cayman > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #1

Anybody using a GT3 master cylinder

Anybody running one of these?

Would like to firm up the brake pedal a bit (for reference, brakes are bled and they don't sink as the session goes on, the pedal has just a bit too much travel to make heel/toe seamless.

part number is 99735591030 , made by TRW

Any reviews would be great, as well as any install tips.

thanks!
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Nope, but a bunch of 987 drivers did at some point for the reasons you suggest. A lot of them reported: "awesome!", "totally transformed my brake pedal" "solid as a rock now".

My impression after driving hot laps in several of their cars vs mine with stock master cyl? It did not do what they wanted it to do. I noticed no significant difference between the two. I chalked-up the comments to confirmation bias. YMMV
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Nope, but a bunch of 987 drivers did at some point for the reasons you suggest. A lot of them reported: "awesome!", "totally transformed my brake pedal" "solid as a rock now".

My impression after driving hot laps in several of their cars vs mine with stock master cyl? It did not do what they wanted it to do. I noticed no significant difference between the two. I chalked-up the comments to confirmation bias. YMMV
Since I have a 987 Cayman S as well as the Boxster - I had been following the forums and I never quite understood the whole GT3 Master Cylinder thing. My Cayman's pedal is very firm. Same with my 986 Boxster S. Pedal location on both is fine for heel/toe as well.
rastta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #4

I think this is more about personal preference. My spb brakes feel over boosted, making it very easy to over brake. My last race car had a dual-master cylinder setup with no boost, which, when set up properly, made it very easy to modulate the brake, but you had to push HARD. I believe the GT3 master and vacuum setup do the same (you must increase foot pressure to get the same brake pressure) for the spb, but I'm finding it hard to justify the cost when I have other items still on my list.

Larger MC = equals shorter throw, but more foot pressure to build brake pressure.
2015 Boxster (daily driver)
CDI Alabama Region PCA
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:04 AM   #5

Tim, the part can be had for $180, so really not too bad.

Its made by TRW, part number is the same (99735591030), and arizonaautohouse (use abrreviation for arizona and german word for house) has it for $181.

I think i'll give it a shot.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Tim, the part can be had for $180, so really not too bad.

Its made by TRW, part number is the same (99735591030), and arizonaautohouse (use abrreviation for arizona and german word for house) has it for $181.

I think i'll give it a shot.
Priorities, right now I need a two post lift and tire mounting and balance machines first.
2015 Boxster (daily driver)
CDI Alabama Region PCA
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #7

haha, I know how that is and I want a tire mounter/balancer in the worst way, but no place to put them.