Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #1

Headers

I've been looking around for a while to find some 200 cell cat headers for my Boxster. Since it is a weekend cruiser as well as a track car, I still need to pass emissions here in Phoenix AZ so I would think that the 200 cell cat headers should be ok for me since I have already installed secondary bypass pipes. I'm also looking for an extra few HP this would give me on the track.

I emailed TopSpeed and they don't have anything for my car. It seems as though there are 2 options: Fabspeed (expensive) and NHP. The other option is to just dedicate it to the track and put straight headers, but how big of a job is it to switch between stock and track headers? Is that something that is practical?

2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:28 PM   #2

Swapping headers would be a pain. If you just need a couple of HP, convert to electric steering pump. Gets rid of the parasite drag on the motor and save 10 more lbs. UDP and electric steering might get you 8 HP. Cheap mod too (less than $400) if you make your own kit with a Vauxhall pump (same pump as a Cup car). It's made by TRW. Buy the pump on UK eBay. I got mine for $80 US shipped. I am collecting the rest of the pieces and planning to do the mod next month.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPierre View Post
Swapping headers would be a pain. If you just need a couple of HP, convert to electric steering pump. Gets rid of the parasite drag on the motor and save 10 more lbs. UDP and electric steering might get you 8 HP. Cheap mod too (less than $400) if you make your own kit with a Vauxhall pump (same pump as a Cup car). It's made by TRW. Buy the pump on UK eBay. I got mine for $80 US shipped. I am collecting the rest of the pieces and planning to do the mod next month.
Thanks Pierre.
I looked into electric steering when my power steering pump was leaking last month, but I just ran out of time so I put in an OEM pump again, but the next time I might go electric... I already have UDP
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles
Old 06-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #4
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
You can get 200 cell integrated cat headers here in the UK on ebay.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

As long as the check engine light does not come you are good for the smog test. In Maricopa county they never actually check the exhaust gases so a 200 cell cat would likely be fine.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
You can get 200 cell integrated cat headers here in the UK on ebay.
I haven't found any.

Do you have a link for them?
Old 06-05-2017, 01:27 AM   #7
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
https://www.topgear.co.uk/exhausts/porsche?mfp=15-model[Boxster] These crop up on ebay quite regularly.

For the UK and Europe the standard 986 cars come with catless headers and rear cats only.
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
Old 06-05-2017, 09:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by edc View Post
https://www.topgear.co.uk/exhausts/porsche?mfp=15-model[Boxster] These crop up on ebay quite regularly.

For the UK and Europe the standard 986 cars come with catless headers and rear cats only.
Thanks! $642 from Topgear is a good price! I might just order them...

So I've already gone down the road of replacing the secondary cats with pypass pipes, leaving the original headers with primary cats in place, and so this is why I want the 200 cell cat headers. I believe I would have to extend the wiring of the O2 sensors that are currently on the header cats (before and after) so that I could go with the Euro configuration. I wonder which configuration is more efficient...
Old 06-05-2017, 11:42 AM   #9
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
The European way obviously If the cat headers were best then the car would be designed like that from the start