Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2014, 02:31 PM   #1

Garage
Oxygen sensor

I have a 1998 Boxster setup for BSR. I have been running it with no oxygen sensors. I can't see any reason to use them since there is know cats. Anyone have a comment?

Jcognetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:36 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcognetta View Post
I have a 1998 Boxster setup for BSR. I have been running it with no oxygen sensors. I can't see any reason to use them since there is know cats. Anyone have a comment?
Yes, you want the front two in place because they control fuel and mixture trims. The car will run like poo without them. The two in the rear you can tie off up out of the way because they are for emissions only.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:38 AM   #3

Garage
Thanks I was told to tie off the front use the rear, thanks for your help.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:32 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

The O2 sensors provide feedback to the ECU which continually adjusts the mixture to balance performance and emissions. If you don't have the O2's hooked up, then the ECU runs in "open loop" mode with the stock mixture maps and can't adjust the mixture for performance or emissions.

In my Spec Boxster, I have the Fabspeed cat delete pipes which have a mount for the O2 sensors but still delete the cat's.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:55 PM   #5

Garage
Thanks I also have the fab speed exhaust.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:41 PM   #6

Pleasure to meet you (Spencer called me about your car)
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 05:29 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Pleasure to meet you (Spencer called me about your car)
Got it on the track after O2 in and ran very well. Now I have to get use to the car after 6 years racing with the 944!
Old 08-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #8

You'll be fine. I took a multi time 944Spec champ and put him in a BoxsterSpec. He promptly won a championship in BoxsterSpec

These cars move a lot under braking.. rear wheel steering, so be aware of that.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:30 PM   #9

and.. you will end up running the car square I see it's narrow front right now. Your 944 was square, the Boxster is also.

The fast east coast guys are all square, the fast TX guys? square, the fast west coast guys? square.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:36 PM   #10

Where is this rear steering effect coming from? If these cars are fitted with the urethane bushings or spherical ends on the suspension pieces and your set up is right whats happing? Bump steer, roll steer, chassis flex?
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #11

I cant tell you that

I will say it's more pronounced the larger/wider/stickier tire you use.

Porsche changed a few of the rear suspension pieces multiple times from 97-2012.

I know why
Old 08-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #12

I gave you just enough information to go on. I was blown away when I learned about it. It took mounting strain gauges on multiple suspension components. The results? Crazy. The fix? easy
Old 08-12-2014, 01:08 PM   #13

If braking causes this, then cornering forces must do something similar.

Just for the record I've never raced a Boxster and haven't competed since the early 90's and that was in SCCA class of Sports 2000. This just brings out the racer curiosity in me is all.
Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:06 PM   #14

We utilized a data logging strain gauge. We initially tested with it mounted to a anti roll bar drop link to test the effective rate. You turn on the logger and run the car around come back and download the info and dump it into Excel for a nice plot

I'll see you TX and some time and let you know what we found. It's very interesting, and only the really pro race guys have it figured it. Only the guys who know to use strain gauges to test
Old 10-06-2014, 03:48 PM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
and.. you will end up running the car square I see it's narrow front right now. Your 944 was square, the Boxster is also.

The fast east coast guys are all square, the fast TX guys? square, the fast west coast guys? square.
If I use stock 8.5 x 17" rims with 255/40-17 all around do I need front spacers?
Old 10-07-2014, 05:55 AM   #16

No spacer needed. In fact you may rub the outer of the tire on the fender lip with a spacer.

It all depends on the tire, some run wide. I have most recently run a 245/40-17 Hoosier R7 on an 8.5" et 50 on the front. No spacer, no rubbing.

MaxD is offline   Reply With Quote