Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #1301

Excellent - glad you are back in action.

Congrats and good luck at both Sears Point & Button Willow.

Keep us posted on your results!

Old 10-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #1302
Certified Boxster Addict

Well, that didn't go as planned!

I spent 1.5 hrs trying to get from South Pasadena to Palmdale this morning (normally 45 mins) to test at Willow Springs Raceway. No bueno!

All of the freeways heading north out of LA; I-210, I- 5, and CA-14; all had fire closures, but Hwy 2 showed as open (but with slowing). After about an hour of heading north, it was blocked solid with no movement for 30 mins. I gave up and came home.

But I had a beautiful morning drive through the San Gabriel mountains!

The Boxster ran perfectly and handled great in the canyons. That car can seriously haul ass on a canyon road.

Onward to Sonoma...

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 PM   #1303
Who's askin'?

Yer kinda my hero, y'know?
I'm probably not the only one living vicariously here.....

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:19 PM   #1304
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
Yer kinda my hero, y'know?
I'm probably not the only one living vicariously here.....

Thanks for the kind words. Just an average Joe trying to make a go of this racing thing.

One of my other racing friends commented today that I seem to be cursed with bad luck lately. Some days can certainly be frustrating when things don't go your way despite putting all of your effort into them.

I think that there is some sort of life lesson that I was supposed to learn from these recent experiences. But I am pretty hard-headed when it comes to life lessons - which means that I'm sure to have several more future opportunities to learn this same lesson!
1979 911 SC
Old 10-17-2019, 09:00 PM   #1305
Certified Boxster Addict

I had the House Automotive sponsor graphics re-installed this week. That's it. All of the damage has been fully repaired. A little prep this weekend and we'll be ready to race at Sonoma in 10 days!

Thanks to Greg, Alex (pictured), and Joey at House Automotive for all of the support.

1979 911 SC
Old 10-18-2019, 05:31 AM   #1306

Yahoo - AWESOME! So happy you're back at it, Tom!

Good luck at Sonoma - we'll be cheering you on
Old 10-18-2019, 06:05 AM   #1307
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
I had the House Automotive sponsor graphics re-installed this week. That's it. All of the damage has been fully repaired. A little prep this weekend and we'll be ready to race at Sonoma in 10 days!

Thanks to Greg, Alex (pictured), and Joey at House Automotive for all of the support.

Very nice. Well done.
Out of curiosity, did the driver who hit you end up kicking-in to help? I know you said he was apologetic.

Im watching a trend, recently. That's why I ask.

Old 10-18-2019, 02:46 PM   #1308

Isn't it great to be done ahead of time? That way any little items that pop up are just that - no big deal. Makes for a much more enjoyable race w/e.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:22 PM   #1309
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Out of curiosity, did the driver who hit you end up kicking-in to help? I know you said he was apologetic.
He helped with ~10% of the total bill (which had 5 digits to the left of the decimal).

And even that was bizarre. About half of that amount was comprised of used air-cooled 911 parts. He offered them to me to re-sell. Thanks, but I thought that he should have sold them and then offered me the proceeds. Ultimately, the repair shop took the parts and gave me a cash credit that was less than the re-sale value of the parts since they had to store, list, sell, and ship them.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #1310
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Isn't it great to be done ahead of time? That way any little items that pop up are just that - no big deal. Makes for a much more enjoyable race w/e.
Haha! Yes! I hate rushing around at the last minute to get everything ready for a race weekend. This makes everything so much less stressful.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-20-2019, 02:56 PM   #1311

Quote:
Haha! Yes! I hate rushing around at the last minute to get everything ready for a race weekend. This makes everything so much less stressful.
Looking good Tom! Glad you are back!
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #1312

Quote:
He helped with ~10% of the total bill (which had 5 digits to the left of the decimal).

And even that was bizarre. About half of that amount was comprised of used air-cooled 911 parts. He offered them to me to re-sell. Thanks, but I thought that he should have sold them and then offered me the proceeds. Ultimately, the repair shop took the parts and gave me a cash credit that was less than the re-sale value of the parts since they had to store, list, sell, and ship them.
Ouch --

I'll be honest, I don't expect to be paid from an on track incident... I drive what I can either afford to fix or afford to walk away from.

There are some folks I share the track with whose cars cost more than my house!

Not sure what my mental state will be when I cause something.
things can go wrong so quickly on track -- and we're all amateurs out there.

I try really hard to play nicely and in the big picture of things, conservatively.

I think I'm more of a "just stick my head in the sand and hope for the best" kind of racer, as opposed to the "stick my nose in the corner and pray :-)"
I'd rather give space or spots than trade paint.

Probably why I get to watch a lot of good racing in front of me :-)

Mike

Last edited by seningen; 10-21-2019 at 12:14 PM.
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:07 PM   #1313
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Ouch --

I'll be honest, I don't expect to be paid from an on track incident... I drive what I can either afford to fix or afford to walk away from.
This has always been my approach as well. I'm coming from the bike world, but it would have never occurred to me to ask someone who ran into me at the racetrack to participate in the repair costs. That's why I asked the question, though. I'm allowing for the possibility that it's different in the car world.
And truthfully: I'm also witnessing a trend that people are now suing track day promoters and race organizers for injuries and damages incurred. It's like they think the waiver means nothing.....

Not talking about this incident specifically, of course... just generally

Last edited by maytag; 10-21-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:47 PM   #1314
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
This has always been my approach as well. I'm coming from the bike world, but it would have never occurred to me to ask someone who ran into me at the racetrack to participate in the repair costs. That's why I asked the question, though. I'm allowing for the possibility that it's different in the car world.
Its not different in the car world. I am the same as you - I assume that I will have to pay for any damages to my car regardless of fault. And I have.

This situation was a little different and let me explain - there is a certain level of agreed and accepted risk that every driver takes when going wheel to wheel racing. But its a shared risk. We accept that none of us are professional drivers and mistakes will be made and that comes with the territory. And if you can't live with that, both personally and financially, then you shouldn't be out there racing.

After 100 races, I know what a racing incident is and I have no problems with that. If we were side by side racing for position and we hit, there would have been no hard feelings on my part. That is just racing and I accept it just like everyone else.

But in this case, the mistake was so egregious that it went outside the bounds of accepted risk. This was a rookie driver's mistake, something that should have been learned during a driver's HPDE days and something that no licensed racing driver should make.

And that set it apart. The other driver violated the agreed risk by acting negligent.

Why do I consider this negligent?

This driver already had a 13/13 and was on probation from a previous accident. He should have been on his best driving behavior.

This driver was racing two Boxster's who weren't in his class.

This race had a split start which means that he started a half-lap ahead of us. He was in last place in his class and last place overall. The two Boxster's were racing in the Top 10.

The Competition Director announced in the drivers meeting NOT to try to pull back onto the track after putting two wheels off since doing so would surely result in a wreck.

Add all of that up and you have a driver who isn't meeting the minimum expectations for being out on a track and racing in a safe manner. Racing while not meeting the minimum requirements for safe racing is negligent in my book.

That's how I saw it. I might be wrong, but you might feel different when someone plows into you and the reason it happened is that they don't know what they're doing.

At the next race (which I did not attend), I was told that the Chief Driving Instructor took to the podium in the drivers meeting and told 911 drivers that if they are being passed by Boxster's then they aren't in the race and to let them go.

And at the end of the day, the other driver mostly agreed with my viewpoint. He knew that he effed up big time and he knew that it wasn't a racing accident. It was caused by his doing exactly what the CD told everyone not to do. That is why he offered to pay what he could. Fair enough for me. But the 911 parts thing caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting that at all.
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-21-2019 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2019, 07:11 PM   #1315
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Its not different in the car world. I am the same as you - I assume that I will have to pay for any damages to my car regardless of fault. And I have.

This situation was a little different and let me explain - there is a certain level of agreed and accepted risk that every driver takes when going wheel to wheel racing. But its a shared risk. We accept that none of us are professional drivers and mistakes will be made and that comes with the territory. And if you can't live with that, both personally and financially, then you shouldn't be out there racing.

After 100 races, I know what a racing incident is and I have no problems with that. If we were side by side racing for position and we hit, there would have been no hard feelings on my part. That is just racing and I accept it just like everyone else.

But in this case, the mistake was so egregious that it went outside the bounds of accepted risk. This was a rookie driver's mistake, something that should have been learned during a driver's HPDE days and something that no licensed racing driver should make.

And that set it apart. The other driver violated the agreed risk by acting negligent.

This driver already had a 13/13 and was on probation from a previous accident. He should have been on his best driving behavior.

This race had a split start which means that he started a half-lap ahead of us. He was in last place in his class and last place overall. The two Boxster's were racing in the Top 10.

The Competition Director announced in the drivers meeting NOT to try to pull back onto the track after putting two wheels off since doing so would surely result in a wreck.

Add all of that up and you have a driver who isn't meeting the minimum expectations for being out on a track and racing in a safe manner. Racing while not meeting the minimum requirements for safe racing is negligent in my book.

That's how I saw it. I might be wrong, but you might feel different when someone plows into you and the reason it happened is that they don't know what they're doing.

At the next race (which I did not attend), I was told that the Chief Driving Instructor took to the podium in the drivers meeting and told 911 drivers that if they are being passed by Boxster's then they aren't in the race and to let them go.

And at the end of the day, the other driver mostly agreed with my viewpoint. He knew that he effed up big time and he knew that it wasn't a racing accident. It was caused by his doing exactly what the CD told everyone not to do. That is why he offered to pay what he could. Fair enough for me. But the 911 parts thing caught me off guard. I wasn't expecting that at all.
I hear ya. And I think it's fair to say that every incident should be considered independently.

During a pre-race-weekend track day in '06, I was hit just before the apex at the end of a fast straight, by a "hero" who blew the corner entry (early-apexed it, if you could call it that) and would've ended up in the gravel on the outside of the turn anyway..... but he t-boned me and collected me with him.

I was doing about 65mph with my knee on the ground, and he was doing over 100mph when he hit me, straight up and down. Very clearly negligent. Something even a beginner shouldn't have done, let alone someone in the "experienced" group.

I broke my tib and fib, and totaled a brand-new cbr1000rr..... with fewer than 200 miles on it. Nothing was salvageable.

It cost me not just the bike and the medical bills, but some time off work as well. Add it all up, I was well over $20k out-of-pocket. I sure would've appreciated a more considerate approach from the guy in that incident.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:16 AM   #1316

Quote:

Totally reasonable -- and in fact I'm often the caboose in the SPB world (or close to it) but -- as a newish SPB guy I was evaluated by an experienced racer as -- you're fine, you're just a tad slow everywhere :-)

With a lot of Endurance racing experience -- I'm situationally aware and I also am very cognizant of mixed-class racing. Heck I enjoy the thrill of racing, but I just as much enjoy the bench racing with beers after -- and if you can't coexist on track -- who's going to want to have a beer with you after.

I'm glad he made the reach -- even if it was with paper weights :-)

More importantly -- I'm glad you're back on track!

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:12 AM   #1317
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
.... but I just as much enjoy the bench racing with beers after -- and if you can't coexist on track -- who's going to want to have a beer with you after.

I'm glad he made the reach -- even if it was with paper weights :-)

More importantly -- I'm glad you're back on track!

Mike
Amen to all of that.

I know myself well enough to know that if I'm ever the guy causing an accident that's not clearly a "racing incident", I'll feel responsible too. But, as was said previously: some of those guys are racing cars worth more than I make in a year. How do I decide what the line is? And does that mean that if I'm not willing to give-up a year's salary (or more) if I have a brain fart, that I should stay off the track?

Like was said below, I've always believed (and taught newcomers) that if you aren't willing to leave the track without it, then you shouldn't arrive WITH it. But why would that apply to my "cheap" boxster, and not to some guy's 6-digit cup-car?

Like I said: just trying to find the line in the grey area. I think it's likely at some point that each of us experience an on-track incident that somebody would say we were at fault for.

It's a tough spot I'll find myself in when that happens to me, if I agree that I was at fault.

Old 10-22-2019, 08:42 PM   #1318
Certified Boxster Addict

Good conversation and definitely one worth having. Now, all of my focus is on getting back out there and having a decent run at Sonoma with the NorCal PCA guys this weekend. Then onto Buttonwillow the following weekend where I hope to do well. Nothing like a screaming flat-six at 7000 rpm to make the outside world fade away. I'm ready to rock & roll!
1979 911 SC
Old 10-23-2019, 05:12 AM   #1319
On the slippery slope

Garage
Glad your back Tom. Go kick some ass
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:26 PM   #1320
Certified Boxster Addict

Overall, it was a good weekend at Sonoma. Good, but weird.

First, the good. The car ran and handled perfectly. It felt really good to be back in the drivers seat. This was my first time at Sonoma and I had spent a good amount of time watching video and using the sim (Forza 7). I really credit both of those with making me feel reasonably comfortable the first time that I went out onto the track. Sure, I still had to "learn" the course but it was much, much better than having done nothing.

The most surprising thing about the sim vs the real course was that the sim made the course feel longer, like there was a lot of time between corners. The reality is that the course felt fairly short and kept me quite busy as the corners come at your rather quickly. This meant that it was important to look ahead and plan ahead. This was especially true in Turns 2/3/3a which are a quick succession of blind uphill curves and in the S's, Turns 8/8a/9. Getting the flow correct was key to getting through quickly.

The most challenging was Turn 2 at the top of the hill. You come flying up the front straight (which actually has a turn (T12) in the middle of it) and have to get properly lined up for the blind right at the top of the hill - all while braking and downshifting.

It is downhill into Turn 4 which made it difficult to gauge the proper speed and the exit is deceptively shallow so it was easy to over-cook the entry speed and put two wheels in the dirt. Ask me how I know.

I spent Friday getting to know the track and working on getting some basic speed. My best lap time on Friday was 1:58. The track record is 1:52 and a decent BSR time is 1:54-1:55, so I had still some work to do.

On Sat, I qualified 10th of 12 Boxster's but I only got 1 clear lap. And I apologize to the Spec911 that was caught behind me for half of that lap but I really needed to maintain my line (I respectfully let him by as soon as we passed the Start/Finish line). With around 45 cars of all types in a single run group, there was constant traffic from catching slower cars and being caught by faster cars.

The race went well. I was stuck behind a couple of cars that had more power than my Boxster but were slower in the corners, so I'd catch up and almost pass them, then they'd drive away from me on the straight, only to repeat it again at the next set of corners. This allowed the group in front of me to pull a big gap which I couldn't make up and I finished 11th out of 12.

But I put down a couple of good laps during the race at 1:55 and was hoping that would bode well for Sunday's two planned races.

And that brings me to the weird stuff...

I drove the Boxster up on Thursday (6 hrs) and went for a run on Thursday afternoon and suffered a migraine headache while running. I had to walk a couple of miles back to the hotel and then rest up most of the afternoon. This has happened before while running but it always throws off my routine (which I try to adhere to on race weekends).

Then on Sat evening, the power company turned off the power to most of the region due to high winds and fires in NorCal (even though the fires were 20-30 miles away). The hotel staff went room to room handing out glow sticks prior to the power outage but I always keep a small flashlight in my suitcase. The power went out at 8:30pm so I went to sleep. The hotel made arrangements to get a generator and it came on at 1:30am because that was when all of the lights in my room came on - I had forgot to turn them off after the power went out!

I went to the track at 7am only to find that the track had no power and that all of the ambulances had been called away to support fire evacuation efforts. No ambulances = no racing. Everything was cancelled for Sunday so I packed up and drove the 6 hrs back home.

Also, the PCA announced that they had cancelled the Buttonwillow race (but Time Trial/DE is still happening) for this weekend due to the low number of racing registrants. In my opinion, they should have run the race regardless of how many race cars showed up - especially since they were still running the TT/DE event and the fact that I selected to miss another racing event to attend this one. In the future, I'll now have to consider whether to skip another race for a PCA race since they might not hold the PCA race. Which probably means that I'll do fewer PCA races in the future. Which is too bad, because the PCA hosts great events but I can't be left out in the cold and not racing.

Overall, Sonoma was a really cool track to visit, it was good to hang out with the NorCal racers (who are a group of really nice and very talented drivers), and I really enjoyed the weekend even with all of the weird stuff.

I'll post up some video soon.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-29-2019 at 09:37 PM.