Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #941
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
Porsche calls for a 1mm bead on all engine cam covers/oil pan cover.. that is WAY too much!! That's exactly how you kill these engines.. the silicon will end up in the oil sump pickup!!
I know. I know. Like any good DIY'er, I just can't help myself. I am in a recovery program for "guys who think that if 1mm is good, then 2mm must be better, and 3mm must be best".

You have no idea how hard it is for me to set my torque wrench to the specified setting and then actually stop when it clicks. I mean, I know that bolt can handle another 20 ft-lbs...

Quote:
and.. The next time you see me? (Dec. POC event) ask me to show you AIM oil pressure data over the last 10yrs at all the SoCal tracks
Copy. I love squiggly lines. I'll come find you.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #942

You'll be disappointed **somebody sucked you into that deep sump. The 2.5's have nowhere near the issues the 3.2/3.4/3.6/3.8 M96 and M97's. The 2.5 spins 1k less RPM and doesn't fill the heads with oil as bad as the engines I mentioned above. CA Speedway (with stock pan and X51kit) drops from 60lbs of oil pressure in the banking to 20lbs....... for 50-60ft at 130+mph. Next track that we have oil pressure *drop? Chuckwalla. Guess which corner? The banked corner. For 30-40ft. 60 down to 30. Who cares. LOL The engine will run for several minutes with no oil pressure.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #943

Tom, are you still using the cquence rotors? any issues with premature cracking? I intend to use the slotted/dimpled versions once I'm ready to replace rotors.

Thanks!
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 02:39 PM   #944
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcammer View Post
Tom, are you still using the cquence rotors? any issues with premature cracking? I intend to use the slotted/dimpled versions once I'm ready to replace rotors.
Yes, I am still using Cquence rotors. The full drilled model that I use will eventually crack but I can usually get through two sets of pads before that happens. I don't think that the slotted/dimpled model will crack at all so it shouldn't be an issue.
1979 911 SC
Old 11-25-2017, 02:40 PM   #945
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
You'll be disappointed **somebody sucked you into that deep sump. The 2.5's have nowhere near the issues the 3.2/3.4/3.6/3.8 M96 and M97's. The 2.5 spins 1k less RPM and doesn't fill the heads with oil as bad as the engines I mentioned above. CA Speedway (with stock pan and X51kit) drops from 60lbs of oil pressure in the banking to 20lbs....... for 50-60ft at 130+mph. Next track that we have oil pressure *drop? Chuckwalla. Guess which corner? The banked corner. For 30-40ft. 60 down to 30. Who cares. LOL The engine will run for several minutes with no oil pressure.
Data. Data. Data. It makes all of the difference in the world.
1979 911 SC
Old 11-27-2017, 06:04 AM   #946

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Yes, I am still using Cquence rotors. The full drilled model that I use will eventually crack but I can usually get through two sets of pads before that happens. I don't think that the slotted/dimpled model will crack at all so it shouldn't be an issue.
I'm using the slotted Cquence rotors (not dimpled), so far so good. I only have 4-5 weekends on them at this point. No cracks or issues.
2001 986 S (parting)
2015 981 (sold)
Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 06:06 AM   #947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming View Post
I'm using the slotted Cquence rotors (not dimpled), so far so good. I only have 4-5 weekends on them at this point. No cracks or issues.
cool, thanks for the info. I think I'll go with them. Price is certainly right.
Quadcammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #948

Quote:
Brad, I was at Chuckwalla last week. Reviewing my in car video, I did not see my Accusump trigger in the 10 deg banked turn. That would suggest no less than 35-40 psi, at least for my setup. Of course, I wasn't running at extreme cornering Gs either, maybe 0.9-1.0 Gs. I do run the EBS oil baffle (X51 type) with a 2 QT Accusump and the 35-40-psi system, with Mobil 1 5W50 oil.

Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/KaEAu7W8_bM

Thre's an orange LED (to the left of the dual gauges) that comes ON whenever the accusump dumps. I does come on occasionally on turns 9-10, 16.
2002 Boxster S - NHP 200 Cell Headers,test pipes,Borla CatBack,Competition Plenum,74 mm TB, EVOMS Tune,Tarett UDP,Eibach Swaybars,BIlstein PSS9s,TuneRS rear toe links,wheel studs,15 mm wheel spacers on all 4,EBC yellow stuff pads,Sebro rotors, EBS oil baffles,160 deg Thermostat,2 quart Accusump,full filtration remote oil filter,rad fan switch,custom gauge/switch plate, Race Capture data logging, 90K miles

Last edited by AZ986S; 11-27-2017 at 09:09 AM.
AZ986S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:06 AM   #949

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Brad, I was at Chuckwalla last week. Reviewing my in car video, I did not see my Accusump trigger in the 10 deg banked turn. That would suggest no less than 35-40 psi, at least for my setup. Of course, I wasn't running at extreme cornering Gs either, maybe 0.9-1.0 Gs. I do run the EBS oil baffle (X51 type) with a 2 QT Accusump and the 35-40-psi system.

Here's the link:

Thre's an orange LED (to the left of the dual gauges) that comes ON whenever the accusump dumps.
One thing to note, and this may be a factor - the accusump oil pressure switch is measuring closer to the oil pump, and most aftermarket oil pressure sensors go in the valve cover where it reads around 10 PSI lower since it is near the end of the pressurized oil path? I have always wondered too if some of the pressure dips seen on some turns is an artifact of the oil pressure measuring point in the valve cover?

It might be an interesting experiment to really zoom your video in on the gauges and the accusump light to see the correlations.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #950
Certified Boxster Addict

Follow on to this thread...Fuel Gauge Stuck on Full

I removed the fuel level sending unit and found that the arm was stuck in the full position. Once I forced it past the sticking point, it seemed to work normally again. Regardless, I replaced it with a new unit. The engine fired up on the first try and the gauge is reading 5/8 full which is about what I would expect.

Relatively easy job, 45 mins taking my time, and I only dropped the fuel pump lines and electrical wires down into the gas tank once!

By the way, I did not empty the gas out of the tank (and had no problems) but I wouldn't want to do this job with a full tank of fuel.

Old unit:

New unit:

Old sending unit:
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 11-27-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:08 AM   #951
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ986S View Post
Brad, I was at Chuckwalla last week. Reviewing my in car video, I did not see my Accusump trigger in the 10 deg banked turn. That would suggest no less than 35-40 psi, at least for my setup. Of course, I wasn't running at extreme cornering Gs either, maybe 0.9-1.0 Gs. I do run the EBS oil baffle (X51 type) with a 2 QT Accusump and the 35-40-psi system, with Mobil 1 5W50 oil.

Here's the link:

Thre's an orange LED (to the left of the dual gauges) that comes ON whenever the accusump dumps. I does come on occasionally on turns 9-10, 16.
I'll see Brad this weekend and we'll discuss...
1979 911 SC
Old 11-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #952

Tom,

You now need to calibrate the dash to the new sending unit (PIWIS1-2) which.. requires emptying the tank
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:42 PM   #953
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Tom,

You now need to calibrate the dash to the new sending unit (PIWIS1-2) which.. requires emptying the tank
Isn't it close enough "as-is"?
1979 911 SC
Old 11-29-2017, 03:25 PM   #954
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Isn't it close enough "as-is"?
No, it wasn't. I had House Automotive drain the tank and perform the calibration. Should be good to go now!
1979 911 SC
Old 12-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #955
Certified Boxster Addict

Another great weekend of racing in the books!

First, congratulations are due to Nigel Maidment (NigelT here on the Forum) for winning the POC Boxster Spec Championship for 2017! He and Anders were only 1 point apart going into this weekend and Nigel clinched it by winning races 1 and 2. Well done!

As for me, I struggled in practice on Friday and Saturday morning to get up to speed, but by race time I was finally back to my normal race pace. Nigel, thanks for the help!

I started 7th of 14 cars in the first race and had a poor start so I was happy to simply maintain my position behind John Monmeyer in 6th. While the front four cars checked out ahead of us, 5th (Andrew Weyman), 6th, and me in 7th battled hard for 13 of the 14 laps. I was able to get into 6th only to be passed back a few laps later when I slid the car out of Turn 5 and John was able to maintain his momentum to pass me on the back straight into Turn 8. Weyman did a great job defending the whole race against attacks from both John and I to hold onto 5th.

I started 7th in the second race and got a great start moving up to 4th. Again, 1st-3rd checked out ahead of us while 4th-8th battled the entire race. A very fast driver started at the rear so he worked his way by early in the race and then after successfully defending my position for 10 laps, I was finally passed and finished 6th while still under heavy attack from 7th (Ana Predescu).

Unfortunately, I didn't race Sunday since I got sick on Saturday night and felt so sick that I packed up, drove home, and spent Sunday sleeping and feeling like crap on the couch.

A well deserved and hard earned shout out to John, Andrew, and Ana for a weekend of close and clean racing.

Lots of good photos and video coming! Here is a pic of the Boxster in the paddock.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 12-04-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #956

Man that sounds like a lot of fun. I spent some of this weekend chasing a spec Boxster, caught and passed him, to then find out it was a cooldown lap and he was going into the pits
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:41 PM   #957

Thanks, Tom. Sorry to hear you got sick. For the record, Anders was 4 points ahead of me going into the weekend. And I only managed 3rd in the second race, which turned out to be good enough since Anders pulled off with a couple of laps to go after making his way from the back of the field to 2nd after an "interaction" with the lead car. I have some pretty cool video of the first race I can show you at some point if you're interested. Anders put us all in our place on Sunday with a clear victory. I finished 3rd again. A satisfying end to a great season of racing. Next year is going to be even more competitive with some fresh, and apparently very quick, entries to the BSR field.
NigelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #958
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelT View Post
Thanks, Tom. Sorry to hear you got sick. For the record, Anders was 4 points ahead of me going into the weekend. And I only managed 3rd in the second race, which turned out to be good enough since Anders pulled off with a couple of laps to go after making his way from the back of the field to 2nd after an "interaction" with the lead car. I have some pretty cool video of the first race I can show you at some point if you're interested. Anders put us all in our place on Sunday with a clear victory. I finished 3rd again. A satisfying end to a great season of racing. Next year is going to be even more competitive with some fresh, and apparently very quick, entries to the BSR field.
Nigel, thanks for the corrections and congrat's on the Championship.
1979 911 SC
Old 12-05-2017, 06:52 PM   #959

Nigel always likes correcting people. Great to see you again Tom. As much as it pains me to say this "CONGRATULATIONS NIGEL". I finally ACCEPT YOUR APOLOGY
bkovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #960
Certified Boxster Addict

I am stuck in fuel gauge hell.

If you remember, the gauge would never go above 3/4 even when the tank was full but would work normally between 3/4 to empty. Then the gauge stuck at 3/4 so I couldn't live with it any longer.

I've replaced the sending unit, made sure that the lines aren't interfering with the float, had the sender/gauge re-calibrated, checked the wiring from the sender to the gauge, verified that the sender is indeed sending the proper signal, and manually commanded the gauge using a tester - and the gauge is still stuck at 3/4.

This made racing last weekend quite interesting because I never really knew how much gas was in the tank except when I filled up completely. After the first race, I filled up completely with 7 gallons meaning that I finished the race with about a 1/2 tank or 60+ lbs heavier than I should have been.

The shop's conclusion this week is that the gauge itself has failed. A local instrument repair shop wanted $750 to repair the fuel gauge. Seemed like a pretty high price, I mean, that's almost a new set of tires to replace a circuit board (and yes, I value every financial transaction in equivalent sets of new racing tires these days). I declined their repair offer and ordered a used instrument cluster from eBay for $99 (including shipping).

Sure hope this solves the problem. I'll let you know what happens when I get the replacement cluster next week.

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 12-08-2017 at 09:37 PM.