Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Track rat

Garage
Fun at WSIR

Here are a couple imperfect laps at Willow Springs with PCA Zone 8. I ran a personal best earlier (1:39) and was lured into thinking a track record (1:38) in my class was possible. :dance: Things didn't go exactly as planned as you will see.

I am a certified computer dufus and this took FOREVER to edit and put together. All the editing mistakes and do-overs caused some waves and glitches in what was otherwise some pretty good original vid quality. Oh well... The next one is certain to be better. Enjoy!

WSIR Spin in 2 - YouTube

Old 09-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

Your not pushing the envelope unless you step over the line now and then.

It was interesting to see how a boxster handles when the rear? breaks loose. A little scary though with other cars bolting past you.

I always wondered what happens when someone is on your tail when something like this happens.?

Looking forward to my Performance driving on the wet pad in mid october.

Id rather get the feel for this in a controlled event till I get to know what the behavior is.

Looks like fun.
thanks for putting the video up.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Yes, these tires went off and the rear stepped out in a pretty big way. I corrected but it was too little, too late. We are fortunate in the PCA TT series to drive with a lot of people of similar speed and ability that we know well and trust. The guy behind me was Greg, PCA-SDR president, and we have run nose to tail many hours over the years. He saw me losing it and backed off to give me a little room. In April Greg was leading when he blew a tire sidewall in front of me and I gave him room while he wrestled his car to a stop. No muss, no fuss.

In 7 years of performance driving I have seen hundreds of spins but never car to car contact at a PCA Zone 8 TT event.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:03 AM   #4

Garage
Great video; nice track layout, with a lot of run off areas if things go wrong.

Regarding the tires, is there much of a difference between the Kumho and Nitto when new? Which do you prefer?
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #5
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH View Post
Great video; nice track layout, with a lot of run off areas if things go wrong.

Regarding the tires, is there much of a difference between the Kumho and Nitto when new? Which do you prefer?
Thanks.

Yes the NT-01 is a lot more durable and a little less grip. We usually get 50 heat cycles (10 days) from them before they cord.

The V710 is a faster tire by 2-3 seconds when new on most tracks. It is a lot more fragile and is really only good for 20 HC (4 days). When they go off, they go big.

Last edited by Topless; 10-01-2012 at 07:19 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Good video! In my experience at taking Turn 2 without lifting, I have to really be on top of the wheel to keep the rear inline. If you get behind in your steering, well, that is what happens. The track also seems to be awefully hard on the left front tire in Turn 2.

Now that you know where the limit is at Turn 2 and if you're still are looking for a track record, I'd go look under Turn 1. There always seems to be a bit more time left on the table there.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:01 AM   #7
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Good video! In my experience at taking Turn 2 without lifting, I have to really be on top of the wheel to keep the rear inline. If you get behind in your steering, well, that is what happens. The track also seems to be awefully hard on the left front tire in Turn 2.

Now that you know where the limit is at Turn 2 and if you're still are looking for a track record, I'd go look under Turn 1. There always seems to be a bit more time left on the table there.
Yep, turns 1, 5 and 9 are the money turns here. My fastest laps carried higher speeds and shaved 3 secs. I guess when we can nail these maxed out every lap Penske or Ganassi will be calling.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #8
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
I guess when we can nail these maxed out every lap Penske or Ganassi will be calling.
That and if we were 14 yrs old.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #9

Nice clip. Just curious when she snaps back the other way was that throttle lift or counter steering just a little too long and coarse. I got a suprise I the wet one time and did both......this forced me into a long wrestling match.

Love the nice wide open SoCal tracks...sand....I want to move there!

Nice to be able to push the car without smacking concrete
Old 10-10-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Nice clip. Just curious when she snaps back the other way was that throttle lift or counter steering just a little too long and coarse.
When she stepped out I was pinned at full throttle. I corrected by steering into the slide only at first but it was too little too late and the car continued to move to the right. I nearly had her straightened out but once the right front wheel went in the dirt I knew she was gone. I lifted and she snapped back and promptly ejected me from the track. If you must go off backwards at 90mph, that is a good place to do it. Old Rcomp tires were now hopelessly flat spotted. Live and learn.

I talked to the driver who was right behind me and he watched the whole thing as if in slow motion: "Oops, that was a big step out. Which way is he gonna go?? Right? Left?... there he goes!" We were running pretty close and if I had continued to fight the car we may have had contact. You gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em. Cool heads prevailed all around and the only damage was to some pretty far along tires and a little pride. I think that will buff out though.

Last edited by Topless; 10-10-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #11

Ahhhh yes I see the puff of sand come up on the right

Wow throttle pinned?....there really is nowhere to go if steering doesnt get you out of it
Old 12-01-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
Certified Boxster Addict

I was at BIg Willow today. Was able to enter Turn 2 at 97mph (full throttle) and maintain 92mph all the way through the turn (while keeping the throttle wide open). The weather was sunny but on the cool side (65F and windy) and I was on nearly new NT-01's so there was a lot of grip. I'll see if any of my video came out and will post if it did (new GoPro camera and not sure I pushed all of the buttons correctly).

1979 911 SC