Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2007, 12:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Headlight problems

Installed the '03 headlights today, well sort of. The drivers side was tricky to get back in place and when finally locked in would not work. I took it out again and compared the socket to the pass. side and found I had broken it in one of my attempts to install the light. I managed to find the yellow brace bracket that had fallen off the plastic upright that holds the socket in alignment to mate up with the male prongs on the light body. I finally got it to stay in place and installed the light. The headlight, both beams, works but now the turn signal will not. Has any buddy encountered this grief and what was the fix? I am thinking or wiring the socket in place once I get it properly aligned. Is there any access through the fender well in order to 'plug' it in from the back one the light unit is installed? Thanks for any help in advance,

986geezer saying bad words in the liberal north east !!!!..................

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #2

Yes, you can access the headlight connector from behind by removing the front plastic fenderwell. Not a lot of room to get your hand in, but do-able as I recollect.
z281974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
boggtown

Did the bulb break during shipping or something? Switch them around.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #4

Thanks

Thanks to both of you for your timely answers. I will switch the bulb tomorrow to see if that is the case. I also noticed that the tray that holds the light, the upright connector tower and the locking cam rod is held in by 3 torx screws. I imagine if worse comes to worse I could replace this tray. I will try the rear plug in as mentioned and I will try to better secure the socket to the tower with wire, tape or nylon tie strips. I will keep you posted on my "progress" in solving this matter. I am also going to cross post on PPBB, Rennlist etc. to see if anyone else has experienced this dilemma. It seems I am cursed as every time I do any work on a car I **** it up and have to solve more problems or spend more money. Arrghhh.

986****up

Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote