Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 277
Self-levelling annoyance

On my litronic-equipped car, there's an adjustment evertime I turn the key to the start position. The motor is quite loud.

Can the motor be disconnected somehow? How?

wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Hi,

I too have a "Self-levelling annoyance " every time I consume copius amounts of Luksosowa (Polish Potato Vodka)... j/k

Seriously, I suspect you may have a motor going out on you...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:38 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab
 
Boxtaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,273
Garage
This is easy. Go into your owner's manual, and look up how to remove your headlights. You just go to the tool kit that's located behind your spare tire and use the headlight tool to pop out each headlight. Once the headlight is freed from the housing, just disconnect the wire loom at the rear of the headlight. This will disable the self leveling feature. Do the same for the other headlight. Then, just reseat the headlights back into their spaces, and pop them back in.

Once you do this, however, you will need to re-adjust the beam of the headlight low beams because they normally face down and then move up as the system self levels. Your headlights will now be stuck in the down position, and your low beams will be too low when you turn them on if you don't adjust the beams up. It shows you in the owner's manual how to adjust the beams as well, or you can take it to the dealer and have them adjust them properly. That's all there is to it. Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
On my litronic-equipped car, there's an adjustment evertime I turn the key to the start position. The motor is quite loud.

Can the motor be disconnected somehow? How?
__________________
Current: 07 Carrera S Cab in Midnight Blue

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 939
My self levelling system doesn't seem to make any noise I can hear.
__________________
2001 Boxster - Grey on Grey
1969 911T Targa - 'Stinky'

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:46 PM   #5
Registered User
 
TriGem2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,431
Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Mine doesn't make a sound. It could be as Jim stated a motor is about to go out on you.
__________________
http://i46.tinypic.com/2qx0rqs.jpg
2001 Boxster Artic Silver / Black Interior
-GT3 Front Bumper w/ Lip
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
This is easy. Go into your owner's manual, and look up how to remove your headlights. You just go to the tool kit that's located behind your spare tire and use the headlight tool to pop out each headlight. Once the headlight is freed from the housing, just disconnect the wire loom at the rear of the headlight. This will disable the self leveling feature. Do the same for the other headlight. Then, just reseat the headlights back into their spaces, and pop them back in.

Once you do this, however, you will need to re-adjust the beam of the headlight low beams because they normally face down and then move up as the system self levels. Your headlights will now be stuck in the down position, and your low beams will be too low when you turn them on if you don't adjust the beams up. It shows you in the owner's manual how to adjust the beams as well, or you can take it to the dealer and have them adjust them properly. That's all there is to it. Hope this helps.
Thanks Boxtaboy for the procedure and thanks to all for the opinions.

No doubt the motor's on the way out. I don't think I'll miss it much, BUT is the motor readily visible, do you think?

If it's not too much of a pain (and it's nearly gone anyway) I may fiddle around with it to see if it's "user serviceable".
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 3,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna986
Thanks Boxtaboy for the procedure and thanks to all for the opinions.

No doubt the motor's on the way out. I don't think I'll miss it much, BUT is the motor readily visible, do you think?

If it's not too much of a pain (and it's nearly gone anyway) I may fiddle around with it to see if it's "user serviceable".
Hi,

The motor is integral to a component known as the Angle Sensor, which through a series of levers and intermediate links provides the mechanical force required to move the headlights. The Parts Manual describes it as Electric Motor, but lists no PN or Price, it says to Call. One thing though, once this is fixed, it takes a PST2 to calibrate it, so the Dealer has to get involved at some point. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 84
wonder if you can readjust the "level" line to be further up. I easily outrun my low beams and high beams. There is adequate light - for stockers - they just could be aimed a bit further out.

never enough candlewatts on a dark and twisty night.

eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page