Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 02:40 PM   #21

That's kind of where I'm at, can't do 5K. Their original version did not have the side window and I liked it even more.

Stinks that you have to remove your trunk and top cover. That would eliminate the quick conversion back to original for the day.

I like the look and really want a hardtop but can't find one in my color or without shipping. I could buy a new one for less th any used ones I've seen by the time I add shipping and painting.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:40 PM   #22

I have a factory hard top for my 2001 and absolutely loved it and used it a lot of the time, until I got my plastic window soft top replaced with a GAHH glass top and hooked up the defroster element. Now, the hard top never even goes on my car. I just keep it stored in the shipping box in the back yard, I'm sure one day it will come out again but not this winter as its almost over. I do enjoy having it when I go to the track on cold days though as its got better rear visibility then the GAHH top. On warm track days its much more fun just to drop the top.

Take care,

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 PM   #23

I think Zeintec top looks much better than both the standard top and the top above but I agree, (imo) it's just too pricy...

Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC986
Stinks that you have to remove your trunk and top cover. That would eliminate the quick conversion back to original for the day.
That's why I prefer the one sold at Stuttgart. It is not needed to remove the trunk and you can just remove it when you want your convertable top down. Unlike the other one, where it is more for people who want a perminate hard top. But I agree, the Zientop looks better.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #25

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I absolutely love that zientec top. $5k though is a lot of money, though. It also looks like a lot of work to put it on and take it off, not to mention the boot lid and top cover.

The top is the best looking one I've seen.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:00 PM   #26

Zeintop Update

Hey everyone,

I've been following along the numerous discussions about the Zeintop (when they'll be available, how much, etc.). I noticed that several people inlcuded links to zeintec.com in their posts, but I also found the US Website, which includes links to dealers in each state. If you're considering this top (I agree with most people - seems too expensive), I would start there, and bypass e-mailing the Zeintec folks in South Africa/Switzerland. Seems like they've given different people different quotes, etc. The US Website is a better place for info IMO.

I'm going to go see one here in LA that is in the process of being installed - I'll try to take some pics and share what I learn.

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #27

I talked to the guys in CA when I got the price info. When you click on the link for dealer they all point back to Autotech Innovations in CA no matter waht state I chose.

I look foward to the pics, if these were the same or close to the factory price I might jump, no way for 5K plus shipping across the country. I would still have to think, not sure howI feel about re-installing my trunk and cover to go topless again.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:10 PM   #28

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i think the zeintec looks nicer because of how the lines flow, but its not practicel.

also, it might just look better because the car has european bumper, diff spoiler, sideskirts, lowered, and wheels, i dunno how it woul look on dead stock box with 16s
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:24 PM   #29

if one is looking for something "different",

practicality does not always find its way into the equation.

We've all seen examples of mods that have one half of the (Porsche enthusiast) house thinking it may be the greatest addition while the half of the house is left scratching their heads.

That said I haven't heard any real world examples of how long it actually takes to install one yet so I'll reserve judgment for now.
Stock w/19" Wheels, stealth K40 front and rear
Boxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #30

Hi,

One thing which concerns me is that being Fibreglass, this top can be very noisey, creaks, rattles, etc.

A review on a UK Boxster board, had one owner complaining of this saying it was terribly noisey and distracting. He was pretty disappointed.

I realize the OEM top is also fibreglass, but it was designed for the car and uses only the OEM mounting points which may be why it's not such an issue. FYI...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM   #31

I think the Zeintop is nice, it's a great OPTION for us to have. I love the lines, and actually like that it serves as a trunk...

But before dropping a lot of coin on it, I would want to know a few things... How heavy it is. How long it takes to 'install' it, and then deinstall it.

It would be great for places where seasons really get cold and ugly for a few months if it were easy to get on and take back off. I mean, if it were <1 hour to install or remove, that might not be so bad.

Not sure if I'd do it down here, tho, as within the next year or a little longer, I plan on replacing my top with a glass rear window top. And the weather isn't bad down here for probably 8 to 9 months out of the year.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:21 AM   #32

That seems to be the biggest drawback (money aside for the moment) - the fact that you can't simply pop it off if you want to convert back to the ragtop. It sounds like a 2-man, multi-hour job to install/un-install it. Not sure any hardtop is worth that sort of effort.

2002 986
Triple Black
· Debadged
· GAHH Top with glass rear window
· Intergrated Soundgate Aux3 Switch for iPod, Changer and XM
· spec.dock from 2point5
· B&M Short Throw Shifter

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d8...as/Porsche.jpg
dcallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:35 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

I realize the OEM top is also fibreglass, but it was designed for the car and uses only the OEM mounting points which may be why it's not such an issue. FYI...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
The OEM top is aluminum. I agree with everything else you say.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:46 AM   #34

OK, Since we are on the topic of hardtops. I'm a new owner of a 2001 Boxster. Both tops came with car the car was delivered to me with the hardtop in place. I drove the car for about 3 weeks and the rattles were driving me nuts. The noise was coming from were the top meets the top of the front window.

This car is a beautiful car all OEM stuff. Can anyone give me some suggestion on the rattles?
lombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #35

Here's information on how to adjust a hard top. It might help reduce noise:

I'd advise you adjust the Hardtop, as no matter how hard the Germans or Finns tried, all cars will have flexed and 'settled' differently. If you have no leaks past the window seals when the soft top is up, use this as your datum and don't touch the windows at all.

a) Take off the plastic covers from each side of the hardtop and loosen the five alen bolts each side so you can just move the spinlocks in both planes.

b ) Open both doors and fully lower the windows, get your assistant to offer up the hardtop, clip in at the screen, make sure the spinlocks drop in, latch the top at the screen then make sure the top is sitting squarely on the car.

c) Give each spinlock a 45° turn, then carefully using a 5mm drill as a spacer, have your assistant gently press down on the top to provide a 5mm gap between the metal of the top and the bodywork on both sides, tightening the alen bolts each side. The remaining 45° turn on the spinlocks will make the top 'snug'.

d) Now have a look at the side window seals. On one side, gently pull the seal out of the aluminium channel - revealing the channel retaining screws. Loosen the screws enough to give some lateral movement of the channel. You will notice there is still a small strip of rubber on the outside of the channel - this forms the seal to the window. Now close the door and close the window, taking care that you and your assistant guide it into the slot with the small strip of rubber providing even pressure to the window. It doesn't require much, just even.

e) Hold the channel in this position, reopen the window and tighten the screws, then start at one end of the rubber seal and push back into the alumium channel in small increments. Repeat for the other side window and your hardtop will be fitting and sealing perfectly.

Here's the original post on Renntech: http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=10070&hl=hard+top
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 12:10 PM   #36

thanks for your help.
lombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:45 AM   #37

I went on a brief ride in the grey boxster on the Zeintec website while I visited Switzerland a couple of months ago. The owner took me on the rural roads for a couple of miles and I didn't hear any rattles/squeaks out of the ordinary. My softtop squeaks and rattles a tiny bit when I ride on bad roads and the Zeintec top didn't make any more noise than my softtop. I guess you have to make sure the seals sit well when installing it. It is a nice piece and I will be getting mine soon! I'll post pics when I get mine. I guess since I'm in Germany I save on the shipping fee/tax! Lucky me I guess! I can't wait!

javi-tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
thats pretty sweet that you were in the exact one on the site, and that it didnt have any noise.

great to hear from someone who has seen/touched/drove in a car w one.

thx for sharing
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #39

It was! I had to see it for myself. I know a lot of skeptics and purists frown on this top, but I just like the concept. It is mostly cold/rainy here in Germany so the top wil go on for months at a time, but knowing you can switch to convertible is a plus Cayman owners don't have. I think this top would be a good thing for folks with the newer Boxster, but my 99 will rock it just fine I think!

javi-tsi is offline   Reply With Quote