Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 PM   #21

I would use a rod slender 3/8" maybe, a barbecue skewer [roast type] not shish-kabob [sic].

Point downwards onto the starter and tap so you hear a tink tink tink. You may get lucky and tap and start.

mrmickeymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2004, 09:27 PM   #22

I use a 3 foot extension which is good for weight and size.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 PM   #23

Sometimes it takes a hammer tap on the end of the extension. You should be careful and make sure what you are tapping.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:32 PM   #24
Forum Contributor

Thanks Scott for taking the time.

I will try this tomorrow and post an update. Can't wait to solve this issue.

Much appreciated!

DB
devboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 12:07 AM   #25

Common problem on the older cars is the ignition switch. Has it been replaced?
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2004, 06:46 PM   #26
Forum Contributor

Tool Pants,

No the ingition switch has not been changed that I know of.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:53 PM   #27
Forum Contributor

Unhappy Update after visit to dealer

Well,

The car was taken to the dealer today and they found nothing wrong. Tested the battery and it was fine, tested the started and it was fine ... the only thing that they didn't test was the solenoid.

The car has started fine in the past few days. It makes me wander why it would not fire up when this problem first happened.

So ... I am sure there's got to be something wrong with it but it is so hard to know when the problem comes and goes like this.

... If I find anything else out I will post it.

BTW does anyone know what the cost for a solenoid is? Should I change it anyway?

Regards,

DB
Old 04-16-2004, 08:13 PM   #28

Solenoid and starter are usually sold as a pair. They are one unit, side by side, you can part them, but only to repair them. I personally would have it rebuilt. It is simple and much cheaper to put bushings and a bendix into it and be done with it.

To bad it's not a Ford, really simple then, but "Found On Road Dead"[FORD] needs all the help it can get.

But that's me...

Sorry Ford fans....
Scott
Old 04-16-2004, 08:19 PM   #29
Forum Contributor

Well, I am _glad_ it is not a Ford :-) although the guy with the tow truck said his Ford starts every time.

Thanks Scott ... I will keep an eye on the car and see how it works out.
Old 04-17-2004, 04:40 PM   #30
Forum Contributor

Lightbulb Update

Well ...

For anyone following the issue of my '99 periodically not starting I have some additional insight. It turns out if I put it in Neutral it does start ... if it is in Park that is when it some times doesn't.

Does anyone have any insight? I am thinking there must be a sensor that tells the car that is in Park and somehow mine "forgets" it and doesn't let the engine start.

... thanks in advance,

DB
Old 04-17-2004, 04:55 PM   #31

I have not read my manual on this subject, but automatic transmissions have what they call, a neutral safety switch.

The switch prevents you from starting in gear, similar to our manual transmission requiring a depression of the clutch.

Usually the switch prevents the car from cranking. over, you said your car was cranking over, maybe it was a modification of that switch that allows it to crank but not spark.

I will check my manual and get back to you.

I encountered this problem one time back in 1975, so it goes to show you it does not happen often.
Old 04-18-2004, 08:10 AM   #32
Forum Contributor

mrmickeymouse,

Actually the car wasn't even cranking over. It would just sit there with all the electrical on but no engine sound or anything that would indicate starting. I think you are right, it seems that some safety that tells the car that is in gear is probably off ...

I will read the manual too just in case.

DB
Old 04-18-2004, 07:41 PM   #33

Thanks MJB ( about the sig comment last week)

Anyway, first off let me say that I really don’t know too much about the inner workings of Porsches, however, the symptoms that people keep talking about here seem very similar to some problems I was having with my Pontiac Firebird a few months ago. Basically, the alternator slowly went bad and would periodically stop working causing the battery to drain, and then it would start working again and charge it back up. Bottom line is that it took me forever to figure out what was going on because every time I checked the alternator (and battery) to make sure that it was working and everything checked out. Eventually, the alternator just plain failed and a simple 20 min swap out fixed all my problems. I’m not sure this is the problem here, but I thought I would throw that out there.
Old 04-18-2004, 07:59 PM   #34
Forum Contributor

QporscheQ

... after what I have seen so far, I think I agree with you. I am sure something is about to become a replacement piece any time now. I have been reading a number of forum answers in relation to my issues ~ they seem similar. Another thing that is hard is after you buy a '99 with 5 years of use and no records it is impossible to know what was done and wasn't done to the car as well I would expect some of the compoents to start failing.

... good insight!

DB