Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
well if you do damage ur car during a DE event, do u really have to tell the insurance company that you damaged it that way?
Hi,

Well, they may well ask for a Police Report depending upon the extent of the damage. Another point - Do you really want to commit Insurance Fraud for just a few thousand bucks? Get caught, and I bet you wish you hadn't...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:58 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by djomlas
well if you do damage ur car during a DE event, do u really have to tell the insurance company that you damaged it that way?

1) Insurance fraud

2) How exactly, will you tell them what happened? They will investigate. Doesn't take much. You tell them a lie like it happened alone, late at night, on a wet road. Hmm... the road doesn't look damaged. Weather forcast said no rain, No trees damaged etc.. Where's the car now? a shop? how did it get there? Tow company? hmm lets pull their dispatch records...

3) It is often best, when DE'ing (and especially racing), to treat your car as "self insured" meaning, if you can't afford to personally write it off the damage, maybe its not the right car to be using.

It should also be noted that there ARE companies that offer DE and Race insurance. It may not "be cheap" and well, it may not be available in ALL states (in NJ, for instance, is very hard to find it)
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 03:01 PM   #23

Unless it's MAJOR damage, I would pay out of pocket. No sense in alarming your insurance company for little 500-2000 dollar damages, especially w/ my record.

I guess I just need to speak to an official in person. I read all these things on sites and it's overwhelming. Can I just go to a track official or does each organization dictate the rules?

I would remove my air bags but put them back in when needed. The car is a lease anyways. I can't do anything that isn't reversible, but I helped my friend remove his air bags off of his salvage title miata and put in new ones.

I guess the problem is I just hate spending $$ on myself. I always feel guilty.

Last edited by Bavarian Motorist; 01-24-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Bavarian Motorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #24

Roll Bars are Real

The Boxster roll bars are absolutly real and offer rollover protection. They are made of super high strength austenitic steel which is a material that contains high percentages of certain elements like manganese and nickel. This is a very hard type of steel and is also non-magnetic.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8...rivewayic1.jpg
tomk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:52 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Unless it's MAJOR damage, I would pay out of pocket. No sense in alarming your insurance company for little 500-2000 dollar damages, especially w/ my record.

I guess I just need to speak to an official in person. I read all these things on sites and it's overwhelming. Can I just go to a track official or does each organization dictate the rules?

I would remove my air bags but put them back in when needed. The car is a lease anyways. I can't do anything that isn't reversible, but I helped my friend remove his air bags off of his salvage title miata and put in new ones.

I guess the problem is I just hate spending $$ on myself. I always feel guilty.
$500-2000.. ok.. well. Lets see. Thats about what a couple of Rims and tires would cost.

While the track is immensely safe on the pavement, it doesn't take much to do damage to a car when you hit an Armco (guardrail), wall or dirt embankment. Should you go off front first and impact, well, expect to replace radiators, lines, headlights, fenders? Go off backwards and there goes the rear bumper cap, mufflers, maybe a jolt into the transmission and motor. Go fast enough and you will bend the "tub" or "frame" in simple terms. There are very few cheap "offs" when visiting tracks in the Northeast.

Why would you remove safety items like airbags? - they may be the very things that would save you.

Also. Most tracks work on a CASH basis. ON the spot. Yes, most PCA regions may cover some expense should you do damage to a track, but I believe Watkins Glen still requires you to pay, on the spot, for Armco replacement. Its not cheap. A couple hundred dollars per strip (3-4 strips per section, assuming you don't damage a post) Depending on the bonehead move, you could be out $2k right there. Track officials also keep a record of who does damage to their property. What event/club and WHO (ie you, me, john doe) who did the damage.

Now, with all that "gloom" said, I have been doing DE events with PCA and others since 1990 and have NEVER hit a wall. Spun 2-3 times. Left the pavement only twice (once planed, once a suprise). It is possible to do this without hurting your car, your body or your ego.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
Old 01-25-2007, 11:30 AM   #26

Re: roll bar extensions

"The roll bar extension (R-3010) does not fit the 987. When Porsche redesigned the new Boxster they increased the height of the roll bar. It now touches the inside of the top. This left no room for an extension. They also increased the diameter of the hoops."
Sam Charnegie (Brey Krause)

and our thanks to Sam for the quick response!
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by limoncello
Re: roll bar extensions

"The roll bar extension (R-3010) does not fit the 987. When Porsche redesigned the new Boxster they increased the height of the roll bar. It now touches the inside of the top. This left no room for an extension. They also increased the diameter of the hoops."
Sam Charnegie (Brey Krause)

and our thanks to Sam for the quick response!
Post #19 mentioned that that BK doesn't have a bar for the 987 (the post didn't say why so, thanks for the reasoning). You have to be quick around here Limoncello

1970 914 w/2056 (sold)

Last edited by racer_d; 01-25-2007 at 11:52 AM.