Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 12:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
My entire golf bag ( irons and woods ) fits just fine in the rear trunk.

My fold down cart, however, doesn't even come close to fitting in the front trunk .

Any suggestions for a fold down cart that does fit ( not that I'll be playing anytime soon ).

Thanks,

Nick
are you talking about this thing with the three wheels?
gold cart
I had a birdautomotive.com rear mounted bike rack and I know the guy sold
a golf bag attachment. Maybe you could go that route.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 01-23-2007 at 12:40 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickCats
My entire golf bag ( irons and woods ) fits just fine in the rear trunk.

My fold down cart, however, doesn't even come close to fitting in the front trunk .

Any suggestions for a fold down cart that does fit ( not that I'll be playing anytime soon ).

Thanks,

Nick
Not to turn this into a golf thread, but do you guys seriously do the three wheel cart thing?...lol....just kidding to each their own... Better yet, leave your sticks at the club and only take them when you travel to another course...
IowaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #23
boggtown

Heck, if you want a car that will go fast just buy an 05 or 06 pontiac GTO. Those things are dirt cheap now (so ugly) and they have the corvette engine. You can fit clubs in that thing. There are tons of options, but if you go that route you could add another 100-200 HP by doing some lingenfelter mods. So all in all you could have a 560 HP car for well under 30,000. But if you want to be cool, buy a boxster.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:02 PM   #24

I owned a C5 and traded my C6 for a Boxster S.
One reason I traded was poor dealer service. My experience with GM dealers are they are a constant source of frustration - I am hoping my Porsche dealer will be better - maybe naive, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

In terms of performance, the C6 is much better than the C5 and both are faster than my 2006 Boxster S. The C6 handles differently but probably on a track just as good as the Boxster.
For me, I like the Boxster being a roadster, and I think it is easier to drive fast - if that makes any sense.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:33 PM   #25

You mean it's more stable at high speeds?
Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM   #26

no, I mean that the Corvette generates so much torque it can be a handful when floored even with stability control, can be fun/scary. Downshifting out of a curve is interesting.
The Boxster feels more under control - it also shifts (up and down) easier.
The Corvette is very stable once at speed.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:08 PM   #27
Track rat

Garage
Exactly. With the Corvette the ride goes from kinda boring to kinda scary without much middle ground. In the Box I always feel like I am in control of the car instead of the other way around. It feels great at any speed... except stop and go freeway traffic. Ugh!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:21 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
no, I mean that the Corvette generates so much torque it can be a handful when floored even with stability control, can be fun/scary. Downshifting out of a curve is interesting.
The Boxster feels more under control - it also shifts (up and down) easier.
The Corvette is very stable once at speed.
Hi,

I'm not speaking of you specifically, but that could be as much about the Driver than the Car. I mean you're talking about feeling...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 04:06 PM   #29

Oh - I'll admit both cars could be driven by better than me!
Old 01-23-2007, 06:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
Not to turn this into a golf thread, but do you guys seriously do the three wheel cart thing?...lol....just kidding to each their own... Better yet, leave your sticks at the club and only take them when you travel to another course...
We play a lot of 9 hole after work and my bag is pretty damn heavy !

Ever since I bought the Box, I have to rent a pull cart ( even though I have 2 in the garage ).

There has got to be a cart out there that fits in the front trunk ?

Help !

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #31

[QUOTE=Topless] With the Corvette the ride goes from kinda boring to kinda scary without much middle ground. [/QUOTE]

Well put and accurate. There's more of a progressive feel in the S. But if you're having problems deciding, do what I did...get both.
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:24 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz
I owned a C5 and traded my C6 for a Boxster S.
One reason I traded was poor dealer service. My experience with GM dealers are they are a constant source of frustration - I am hoping my Porsche dealer will be better - maybe naive, but I figured I had nothing to lose.

In terms of performance, the C6 is much better than the C5 and both are faster than my 2006 Boxster S. The C6 handles differently but probably on a track just as good as the Boxster.
For me, I like the Boxster being a roadster, and I think it is easier to drive fast - if that makes any sense.

My 2CENT advise before you even step foot at a Porsche dealership is know 100% what you want done. Otherwise you will max out your credit card.
The #1 reason is everyone in the Porsche dealership gets a commision from your car.Yes the parts dept get %.

porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 PM   #33

The only thing similar between a Vette and a Porsche is the number of seats and number of wheels. YOU must test drive them. Test drive them in the environment you will USE the car. Judge and compare everything good and bad. Then come to the "right" conclusion (a Boxster )
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
I have a good friend in Maryland that was looking for a ZO6 this past summer. I told him about a dealer here in Charlotte that keeps a lot of nice Vettes as well as other cars. He drove down and checked out the cars and ended up with the beast pictured below. It's a heavily modified 2002 ZO6 with a supercharger and too many other mods to list. It makes 600+ horsepower and has had suspension and brake work. It is by far the fastest street car I've ever ridden in. The handling and braking is damn impressive as well.

Oddly enough, he's now getting ready to sale the ZO6 and an E55 Mercedes-Benz he has and plans on purchasing a 996. It isn't because he doesn't like the ZO6 or Benz, he just doesn't keep anything very long.

ddb

ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 02:47 PM   #35

That ZO6 is sweet!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 04:27 PM   #36
Track rat

Garage
"I have a good friend in Maryland that was looking for a ZO6 this past summer. I told him about a dealer here in Charlotte that keeps a lot of nice Vettes as well as other cars. He drove down and checked out the cars and ended up with the beast pictured below. It's a heavily modified 2002 ZO6 with a supercharger and too many other mods to list. It makes 600+ horsepower and has had suspension and brake work. It is by far the fastest street car I've ever ridden in. The handling and braking is damn impressive as well." Quote from ddb

Now That is a lot of sportscar! Any of you guys out there pineing for big horsepower... here you go!

I drove a similarly tricked out Dodge Viper for a couple of laps about 5 years ago. We voted that Viper "Most likely to get wrapped around a telephone pole." On the street I think it would be difficult to keep the rubber on the road in one of these. I have been upside down hanging from the straps before. I didn't really care for it.

Clint Eastwood said it best... "A man's gotta know his limitations." I'll stick with my little 2.5 Boxter.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:10 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbth
dbth,

Thanks ! Nice cart, but $200 for a pull cart is a little excessive...

Appreciate the help, though...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #38

winding road articel

i found an interesting little article matching the boxster and the C6 from 2005 in "the winding road" magazine. i don't know if the direct link will work:

http://windingroad.com/features-page/porsche-boxster-chevrolet-corvette/

if not, just go to windingroad.com, sign up for the free subscription and it's in the porsche section of reviews.
HIFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:50 PM   #39

I have owned both cars, so coming from a American muscle car background, I can tell you the choice is hard. I love speed, but also love turning. I had my trans am and corvette running 9 seconds in the quarter mile. So yeah I dumped a ton of money into the cars. But I also did the suspension, everything shocks, springs, coilovers, rear end, tranny, anything you can think of. Actually the cars handled twice as good as my Boxster. But I had to dump a ton of money into it to get that kind of power plus handling. So all in all, if you plan on doing mods to your car, then get a Corvette and spend a few thousand on the suspension. It will kill all Porsches. But if you plan on not doing any mods, then get a Boxster S. Once again, do you plan on driving straight or around turns? Good luck!
Tiptronic, Sport Package, 18's
1998 Red Pontiac Tran Am
9.46 sec @146 mph
2005 Black Jaguar X-Type
Navigation, Subs, rims
BlueBox2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 07:16 PM   #40

i would take that corvette over any boxster any day, that engine is a work of art to any car guy. i'm still wiping my mouth....

hdpt73 is offline   Reply With Quote