Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2007, 03:09 PM   #21

"I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather and they seem to be wearing well."

Yeh, me too, I got 5K out of each of my first two sets of PS2's, maybe I will get 7K out of the thrid set......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 03:55 PM   #22

I am on my second set of Kumho Excsta MX and have nothing but great things to say about the tire! Sticks as well as any tire lasts longer than other extreme preformance tires too with a tread wear rating of 220 and a whole set of 18's costs about $600 from tire rack. They really stick and in a wide variety of temperatures including near freezing.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #23
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
How do you guys get only 5k miles out of one set of tires?
Are these specialty tires of some kind.

I am still using the tires the car came with at 25k miles and they still have plenty of thread left.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:00 PM   #24

I'm with Rick. I'm running 18's with Pirelli Pzero's and have 7k on the tires with minimal wear. I run the car reasonably hard around town and don't do any track/DE or AutoX, so maybe that is the difference.

I like the Pirelli's but have no comparison on 986. I'd look at the PS2's/Pirellis if I want to spend the bucks or the Kumho's to save a few $$ when I need tires.

1989 911 Cabriolet
Grand Prix White/Black

Stock except:
Turbo 7x9 Fuchs

SOLD!
2002 986S
Seal Gray/Black
Painted Center Console
18" Turbo Twists with rear spacers
Tequipment aluminum shift knob
Colored center caps
De-ambered tail lights/side markers

Stock except:
B&B catback exhaust

http://i29.tinypic.com/i6crck.jpg
jwilson95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:33 AM   #25

The PS2 are a soft tire even with a tread ware rating of 220 and the boxster will eat up the rear tires in 5k with spirited driving (is there any other way to drive a boxster?). At minimum I drive my boxster 30 mi. a day (m-f) and autocross it a few times each year as well.

+ I'm right there with Randall too:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather...

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:34 AM   #26

New tires needed soon!

Here we go again! New tires needed soon!
The Michelin tires have been perfect. I have done 32000km in a bit more than 4 years and it's not down to the treadware indicator on the rears yet. And the fronts, as expected, have a bit more. I guess I don't drive that hard - but I have done two track days!

I would like to have a complete fresh set and I was wondering if someone has got experience and can compare these tires:

Michelin PS2 (€846)
Bridgestone S02A (€776)
Yokohama Advan Sport, not Porsche approved (€691)

Thanks,
Henrik
Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 AM   #27
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

nice chart here based on lots of user feedback.
Consumer Survey Results By Category

If you like the Michelins, then stick with them. Of the three you listed, they are much higher rated than the others.

I usually pick from tires in what Tire Rack calls "Extreme Performance Summer" which tend to have more dry grip and better track performance.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #28

I plan on trying the Pilot Super Sports in the spring, they seem to be even better than the PS2's.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:59 AM   #29

Has anyone tried the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs? I know one member here (ekam I think? Forgive me if I'm wrong!) has a set and really likes them a lot. Recently, though, I was talking to a technician at a local dealership who also does a lot of track events as well. He was, IIRC, given a set of them to test, and he said that's the only reason he's still even driving on them..said he hated them. Don't remember the details, but I believe he was having problems with uneven wear, scalloping, etc. Don't recall if he commented on the driving performance per se (we were talking about LOTS of other stuff---specifically about my car---and I was more focused on those items. The Star Spec discussion was an 'oh, by the way' afterthought).

Anyway, was curious what, if any, experience other folks had had with this tire since (before talking with that tech) I was very seriously considering them as my next tire.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #30

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
Good choice. The Pirelli's have such a soft compound that they wear out ultra-fast and the soft rubber also doesn't do well in colder weather (not freezing by any means, but just cold weather).

I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather and they seem to be wearing well.
UPDATE: I was finally able to wear out my rear PS2's so I can try the new Pilot Super Sports. Saved $100 for the pair over the last rear PS2's & they feel great so far.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #31

I was going to give the new Super Sports a try, but I was shocked to find out they do not make them in the 255/40R17 for my rear wheels!! Boo!

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #32
Certified Boxster Addict

Every tire is a tradeoff.

The PS2's are a great blend of high grip in both dry and wet conditions along with a smooth ride and quiet operation. The only downside is that they are expensive.

There are cheaper tires with more dry grip (Kumho Ecsta XS, Hankook Ventus RS-3, and Dunlop Star Spec Direzza) but you're going to give up something else (like wet grip and longevity) to max out the dry grip capability.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #33
Matt

I've had Pirellis, Michelins and Falken All-Weathers on my Porsches (4). The best all-around tires I've had have been the factory Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. They'll give up a little on top-end performance but you'll get twice the wear from them and never have an issue for any reason.
MileHighBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #34

Garage
If you're looking for performance, and to not have it "slippery" and in my experience, when the car is sliding its way easier to handle with good tires.. You should get...

1. Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs (200 Treadwear: My favorite, work GREAT cold and when wet, as well as perform amazing in warm, summer conditions)
2. Hankook Ventus R-S3 (140 Treadwear: Great for absolute performance when warm. If you're not ever going to race, not for you, but you'll notice the performance even when cold, but again not as good in the cold as the Star Specs)
3. Toyo R1R (140 Treadwear: Great tires when wet and cold and again hot and warm. But they're rather pricey.)

IMHO, if you want good, grippy tires get the Star Specs. If you want tires that will last but not perform, get Michelins, they make great tires that will last. For best of both worlds, look for a tire around 300-350 Treadwear rating...

(I can also give you info on race tires if you want it.... But you don't seem to race if you don't know how it should perform going around a round about lol)
Mrmaddbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:35 AM   #35

Garage
I have Front .... Toyo Proxes T1R......and Rear.....Nexxen N3000.

The Nexxens are holding up extremely well
The Toyos NOT so well
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 06:23 AM   #36

This is so easy - THERE IS NO BEST. Your temperatures, humidity, altitude, speed, traffic conditions.... Will be different than almost everyone else. Therefore, this is an unanswerable question. If I were you, I would start with what came stock on the car. That's probably Michelin. You won't be sorry and you'll see what Porsche put on these from the factory. Then you can adjust from there, if necessary.

Otherwise, you'll just have a list of every tire made. Happy motoring.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #37

I'm going to bite on the new Michelin Super Sports come spring time. Was running the Bridgestone RE050 but wore out way too fast for me 6000 KM on the rears and completely bald. No track days just 4 runs on the TOD and then pretty basic running around town.
tdurnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #38

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
UPDATE: I was finally able to wear out my rear PS2's so I can try the new Pilot Super Sports. Saved $100 for the pair over the last rear PS2's & they feel great so far.
Got about 600 miles on the Mich Super Sports on the rear so I stoped by the local skidpad (Long Beach traffic Circle) today, felt better than the PS2's. AutoXing Sunday so I will try & push it enough to get the rear to break loose.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #39

Thanks for all the info here. Just went through this decision myself. I have 19" rims so matched pairs are harder to find. I was considering changing to 18" rims and going with either the Hankook's or Sumi's, but after talking to one of the guys in the local Porsche Club who does a lot of events, I went with the Michelin Super Sports.

His commentary was that they run into sidewall failure often at events with both of those brands, and that they do not see the issues with Bridgestone or Michelin. Also thought they would last longer so the difference in price wasn't so bad.

The Super Sports are $150 cheaper on tirerack than the PS2 right now as well. Will report on my results - installed on Saturday.
Daylorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:49 PM   #40
Rennzenn

Garage
Hands down, Hoosier A6 is the best!!

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote