986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Which tyre is best? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9058-tyre-best.html)

Henrik 01-17-2007 04:52 AM

Which tyre is best?

Hello,

I own a 2.7 1999 Boxster and I am going to swap my tyres soon but I was wondering which tyre is the best ?!?

As far as I have gathered these are the recommended ones by Porsche:

Pirelli P Zero Rosso
Michelin Pilot Sport
Continental Sport Contact

I have only owned my car for half a year and it came with different makes front (Continental) and back (Uniroyal). At the moment I am finding it unpredictable in slippery English roundabouts! How should a Boxster behave in slippery conditions?

Regards,
Henrik

unklekraker 01-17-2007 05:47 AM

Hi Henrick!...we have the same year of Boxster and i bought Kumho Excsta few months ago and it's working out fine with me....just sharing it with you :)

Boxtaboy 01-17-2007 06:35 AM

I thought the 2.7L engine started from 2000, with the 2.5L being standard on 97-99. In any case, Kumho brand tires, as Unkleraker have suggested, are a good economical tire, with good bang for the dollar, but if you are looking for better performance in the wet, then you might want to try directional tires up front with assymetrical tires in the rear. This type of set up is good for rear and mid-engined cars, for better wet weather stability. Porsche, in fact, specified this set up for my model year (2001), and I've found it to perform really well on wet roads.

As for general brands, Michelin PS2s, Bridgestone Potenza RE050A, Yokohama Advans, and Goodyear F1s, are all really good tires. Hope this helps.

blinkwatt 01-17-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik
As far as I have gathered these are the recommended ones by Porsche:

Pirelli P Zero Rosso

I have the Rossos on my car now,stay away from them. For the price go they are not worth it. Go for the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A(Max Summer Performance) or RE-01R(Extreme Summer Performance),both are less $ and based off of my past experiences with higher end Potenzas they should be better. Whatever route you decide to go,be sure to give us a review.

SC986 01-17-2007 03:16 PM

I had the Continentals on my BMW 3 series and really hated them. They had a decent ride but no handling and I did not get a good life out of them.

I replaced them with a version of the Pilot Sport I have on the Boxster..Pilot Exalto. They ride great and the handling improved 100 percent. They were a good bit cheaper than the sports.

racer_d 01-17-2007 03:45 PM

Henrik - "best" for what?

If normal, spirited street driving, as Porsche intended, in most elements, then follow the porsche suggestions. Since you are in the UK, I am not sure what other brands you can buy that have been mentioned here already (ie Khumo, or Toyo)

I am not suprised that your car currently feels slippery given the fact you have mixed brands of tires. I am sure tread patterns and likely tire constructions are different between the two. You don't mention how many miles you have on the tires, but the rears typically don't last more than 15,000 miles. Fronts can take as much as twice as long to wear out. Obviously, tread depths will impact their wet weather performance.

David_J 01-17-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer_d
You don't mention how many miles you have on the tires, but the rears typically don't last more than 15,000 miles.

15,000? I got a tiny bit over 6000 miles out of my last set. I bought them new in April and by December they were gone.

kls 01-17-2007 05:50 PM

I am also searching for tires and have decided on the Bridgestone Pole Positions. A great resource for tires is tirerack.com. Try the link below, then you can get reviews from everyone with a Boxster about how they liked each tire. It's a little confusing to find that - but enter you car in their search engine and it will give you loads of info.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

smagerstein 01-18-2007 12:23 AM

I have the P Zero Rossos

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSS of grip.

These were new when I bought my car 4 months ago (since done 3000miles)
Still look like new but many say wear very wuickly. We will see I suppose.

I like em. Even if they only last 7 or 8K then I will get them again.

Ciao

noone986s 01-18-2007 12:46 AM

Hi,

I have Dunlop SP9090 on 18inch sport wheels and find them a good balance for the damp UK roads. I previously had the pirrellis which were very nervous at the first sign of rain.

Also it would be a good idea to check your tyre pressures, I use 31/36 rather than 29/36 as recommended and find it a bit more stable.

smagerstein 01-18-2007 02:59 AM

I find the pirellis fine in the rain as long as common sense prevails. They dont like freezing temperature though at all!!!

Henrik 01-18-2007 03:24 AM

Thank you for all the replies!

I don't know how many miles the tyres have done as they were on the car when I bought it half a year ago. They do have lots of thread left but I suspect the different makes are upsetting the car.
I drive as you should...slow in quick out...and when I apply the power it sometimes just snaps without any warning.

When I say "which tyre is best" I mean for everyday normal (Porsche) driving. I think grip is more important than that they will last long.

Regards,
Henrik

P.S. As regards to when the 2.7 came out I believe it was 1999 model year. My car is in fact built in 1998, Stuttgart.

Henrik 11-07-2007 04:45 AM

Well, I thought I would let you know how I got on.
I got new tires a some time ago and I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport. I have now driven a few thousand miles and the car feels planted in all situations. They were the most expensive tires but only a little bit more than the Pirelli Rossos which aren't supposed to be as good in the wet as the Michelins. Since it rains everyday in England......it was an easy choice!

I would strongly recommend these tires!

Henrik

rick3000 11-07-2007 06:42 AM

I always recommend checking out 1010tires.com.
They have ratings on most tires, and break it down into groups like wet, traction, thread life, etc. Personally, my biggest cocerns are treadlife and wet traction. but it depnds on your needs for the car. :D

porsche986spyder 11-07-2007 06:50 AM

I like the Kumhos Ecsta SPT. I now have them on the front and rear. Great all season tire with aqua-tread design and good grip. :dance:

Bobby Carbn 11-07-2007 10:51 AM

Check out what Falken has to offer. I put a set on my supercharged jag and they are performing flawlessly, even in the rain.

porsche986spyder 11-07-2007 11:44 AM

Is this the tire of the future? No more air needed.
http://www.lltek.com/PRS_bin/PRS_77_AudiMichelin.htm
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y15..._img_03_xy.jpg

rick3000 11-07-2007 12:18 PM

^ That is crazy!
The wear, and ride quality must really suck. I would rather deal with the occasional flat or blowout than the ride quality that thing must have.
But it would definitely be a head turner.
:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 11-07-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

I got new tires a some time ago and I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Good choice. The Pirelli's have such a soft compound that they wear out ultra-fast and the soft rubber also doesn't do well in colder weather (not freezing by any means, but just cold weather).

I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather and they seem to be wearing well.

kabel 11-08-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

I opted for the Michelin Pilot Sport.

Did you get the Pilot Sport or the Pilot Sport PS2? Both are excellent tires, but there is a difference.