986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Which tyre is best? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9058-tyre-best.html)

Mrmaddbrad 11-30-2011 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 265289)
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs? I know one member here (ekam I think? Forgive me if I'm wrong!) has a set and really likes them a lot. Recently, though, I was talking to a technician at a local dealership who also does a lot of track events as well. He was, IIRC, given a set of them to test, and he said that's the only reason he's still even driving on them..said he hated them. Don't remember the details, but I believe he was having problems with uneven wear, scalloping, etc. Don't recall if he commented on the driving performance per se (we were talking about LOTS of other stuff---specifically about my car---and I was more focused on those items. The Star Spec discussion was an 'oh, by the way' afterthought).

Anyway, was curious what, if any, experience other folks had had with this tire since (before talking with that tech) I was very seriously considering them as my next tire.

AHH!! Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs are my favorite tires!! Ahh!!! If you autocross in cold weather (Like i do), they are THE BEST street tire... The work amazing cold unlike a lot of street tires! (Hancook RS3, Toyo R1R's, etc). So if you aren't burning them up on the track, or have an autocross league in mild weather (50 to 68 degree weather, like me :( ) Then these are for you!!

Almost TOO good for the street :P lol

ekam 12-01-2011 01:34 PM

I agree the Star Spec warms up very quickly, don't think any tires out there can do that.

Henrik 12-02-2011 05:59 AM

Thank you for all your replies!

It is interesting to see that no one mentions Yokohama - Why is that!?!
It is also interesting that many of you are driving around with non N rated tires. Porsche seem to scare people into the must of having N rated tires!

I went and did a big service on my Boxster the other day and while I waited I had a look at the cars they had for sale. All Ferraris and Porsches were fitted with either Bridgestone or Michelin...

I will probably go for the Michelin again...but if you would have said the Yokohamas are great then I might have given them a try...

The choice of tires seem to be more limited here in Portugal than in your country.

Topless 12-02-2011 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henrik (Post 266575)
Thank you for all your replies!

It is interesting to see that no one mentions Yokohama - Why is that!?!
It is also interesting that many of you are driving around with non N rated tires. Porsche seem to scare people into the must of having N rated tires!

I went and did a big service on my Boxster the other day and while I waited I had a look at the cars they had for sale. All Ferraris and Porsches were fitted with either Bridgestone or Michelin...

I will probably go for the Michelin again...but if you would have said the Yokohamas are great then I might have given them a try...

The choice of tires seem to be more limited here in Portugal than in your country.

The Yokohama Advan Neova AD08 is an excellent tire both wet or dry but they are very expensive in the states as are Michelin PS2s. You can get Dunlop Star Specs for 30-40% less with very similar levels of grip and comfort.

986_c6 12-02-2011 08:56 PM

I still have the Bridgestone re050a on my street set and am having difficulty wearing them away. They have performed brilliantly on/off the track (I use these when it rains), and am going to replace them because of the age of the tire than wear. Overall, I would say I have at least 10k miles on the 050a's.

986_c6 12-02-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j.fro (Post 266339)
Hands down, Hoosier A6 is the best!! :D

I am with you on this one...better yet Hoosier A6/R6 scrubs!!!!!:cheers:

smshirk 12-03-2011 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frodo (Post 265289)
Has anyone tried the Dunlop Direzza Star Specs? I know one member here (ekam I think? Forgive me if I'm wrong!) has a set and really likes them a lot. Recently, though, I was talking to a technician at a local dealership who also does a lot of track events as well. He was, IIRC, given a set of them to test, and he said that's the only reason he's still even driving on them..said he hated them. Don't remember the details, but I believe he was having problems with uneven wear, scalloping, etc. Don't recall if he commented on the driving performance per se (we were talking about LOTS of other stuff---specifically about my car---and I was more focused on those items. The Star Spec discussion was an 'oh, by the way' afterthought).

Anyway, was curious what, if any, experience other folks had had with this tire since (before talking with that tech) I was very seriously considering them as my next tire.

The Star Specs are the second best tires I've had and I'm still running them now with over 10k. the rears still have 4/10 but they are noisy and I'm looking for some all seasons for the winter. I have a brand new set of Kumho Ecsta SPTs but the rears are 295 30s on 11 inch rims. i tried putting them on last weekend but they rubbed the shock tower. The calculator said they would fit but it wasn't even close to fitting. I could barely get the wheel bolted on. I tried a wider spacer but it stuck them way out past the fenders.

The best overall tire I've ever had on a Porsche were the GY Eagle F1 GS D3 but I don't think you can get in them in our sizes any more. I still have a good pair of fronts, but can't replace the rears so I guess I'll get rid of them.

fullthrottle52 12-03-2011 07:29 AM

Hankooks ?

Just stay away from Hankook V12's. I am sending mine back to Discount Tire for a full refund. I can't get them balanced. Tried 3 times. Even Road Force balanced and still a shake at 70 mph. I am convinced they are just bad tires. You get what you pay for. Discount Tire has been great to work with so I am not knocking them just the tires. They did a complete free swap for a different brand and paying for the shipping both ways.

Johnny Danger 12-03-2011 08:30 AM

Does anyone have any experience with Nitto tires; namely the Invo or the NT05 ? Both appear to have an interesting tread pattern .

Topless 12-03-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 266746)
Does anyone have any experience with Nitto tires; namely the Invo or the NT05 ? Both appear to have an interesting tread pattern .

Yes the NT05 has a ton of dry grip and is pretty good in the rain. I have a pair on the rear now and I like em. They compare very well with Hankook RS3 for grip. The Nitto Invo is a goto tire for Corvette drivers and it is available in modern low aspect sizes. One of my friends has them on his 2010 Z06 and we spent the day running Chuckwalla race track together back in May. My impression is that the car is amazing and the tires are good but not great. Between the two I would choose the NT05.

Johnny Danger 12-03-2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topless (Post 266762)
Yes the NT05 has a ton of dry grip and is pretty good in the rain. I have a pair on the rear now and I like em. They compare very well with Hankook RS3 for grip. The Nitto Invo is a goto tire for Corvette drivers and it is available in modern low aspect sizes. One of my friends has them on his 2010 Z06 and we spent the day running Chuckwalla race track together back in May. My impression is that the car is amazing and the tires are good but not great. Between the two I would choose the NT05.

Good to know . I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my vehicle . Interestingly, they no longer offer the sizes that I need. With that said, at some point I'm going to need to replace them with a good alternative . I've also looked at the Conti Sport Contact series as well . Any thoughts on those ?

Topless 12-03-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 266770)
Good to know . I currently have Goodyear Eagle F1's on my vehicle . Interestingly, they no longer offer the sizes that I need. With that said, at some point I'm going to need to replace them with a good alternative . I've also looked at the Conti Sport Contact series as well . Any thoughts on those ?

Yep, my brother has a set of those on his Boxster. Very good all around tire similar to the PS2. Nice quiet ride and good road manners but not as much ultimate grip as the NT05. An excellent summer DD tire . Not cheap though.

ohhh my 12-03-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 (Post 266740)
Just stay away from Hankook V12's. I am sending mine back to Discount Tire for a full refund. I can't get them balanced. Tried 3 times. Even Road Force balanced and still a shake at 70 mph. I am convinced they are just bad tires. You get what you pay for. Discount Tire has been great to work with so I am not knocking them just the tires. They did a complete free swap for a different brand and paying for the shipping both ways.

All i've heard are good things about these tires... Was planning to get a set for my rears... are you running aftermarket rims?

986_c6 12-05-2011 09:35 PM

I have had Hankook V12 on 2 other vehicles, no issues and very good wet/dry traction. Not saying Fullthrottle didn't have the balancing problems, but I have had good luck with V12's.

Johnny Danger 12-08-2011 01:20 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Yokohama Advan Neova ?

fullthrottle52 12-08-2011 02:19 PM

C6 - I love the look of the Hankook V12's but just could not get them to work with my Box. I'm very glad you are having luck with them. I wish I would have had the same experience. I repalced them today wiht Yokamohama's all season tires and what a difference. They run smooth and straight. I think I just got a bad set of times. Interesting thought is I took them to UPS today to ship them back and they weighed the tires for shipping. There whas a 1.5 lb difference between the 2 front tires and a 1 lb difference between the back tires. ??????

AndyA6 12-09-2011 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 (Post 267779)
C6 - I love the look of the Hankook V12's but just could not get them to work with my Box. I'm very glad you are having luck with them. I wish I would have had the same experience. I repalced them today wiht Yokamohama's all season tires and what a difference. They run smooth and straight. I think I just got a bad set of times. Interesting thought is I took them to UPS today to ship them back and they weighed the tires for shipping. There whas a 1.5 lb difference between the 2 front tires and a 1 lb difference between the back tires. ??????

Is that normal???? I thought that in today's world and production products like these should be very similar!

Don't know but I would consider this as not good at all.

Andrew McD 12-09-2011 06:58 AM

I'm about to give these a go....

PROXES T1 Sport | TOYO TIRES - United Kingdom

986_c6 12-10-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fullthrottle52 (Post 267779)

Whoah!!!!!! You definitely got a defective set with a 1.5 lb difference.:barf:

Which Yokohama exactly did you replace with?

ekam 12-10-2011 07:48 AM

That's what happens when you buy from second-tier tire company, bad QC means you will never get perfect tire balance.

When the tire guy put my Z1 Star Spec on, he said they need very little wheel weights to get a perfect balance.