986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Which tyre is best? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/9058-tyre-best.html)

alip57 01-08-2012 06:47 AM

HI
Just purchased a 2002 boxster from Stratstone UK dealer. Picked up the car and found that the car had not been pre checked prior to handover. Although the front discs and brake pads had been changed. After sales very poor and would not recommended to use this dealership.

Anyway the car was handling awfull in the wet and very light steering in dry weather. No grip on the rears at all in the wet.

On further investigation found cheap brand of tyres on vheicle. Non N rated.
Yaskowa and Yokohama.

Just fitted new Cont SP Contact 2 on the rear N rated and this has totally transformed the vehicle. The whole set up has changed and the steering is now positive and the rear now gives me confidence in the wet.

The car drives a lot quieter and the ride is a vast improvement.
I had to bite the bullet . Gladly it worked

MileHighBoxster 01-09-2012 10:56 AM

Reposted from another thread

Just put on new PS A/S Plus. After reading all the years of threads and posts about tires helped me decide to stay with Michelin Pilot Sports. My old PS had run out of tread (legal amount anyway). I spent weeks looking at everything and, not surprisingly, the Michelin PS A/S Plus came out ahead of everything. Bang for the buck, "great for the money" and good deal mean nothing to me when safety, quiet and tread wear mean everything. I've driven several tires over the years on Porsches, but none out perform Michelin tires. Every pro I spoke with over the past month agreed when you want the best it had to be Michelin. And, so it was. Thanks for everyone's input on the dozens of tire threads.

When everything is rated as compared to the Pilot Sport series, it was an easy decision.

stephen wilson 01-20-2012 05:03 AM

Here's my quick Pilot Super Sport review. I have 200 miles on my new set, and finally got a chance to lean on them a bit. I'm impressed. The roads were clear and dry, on a sunny day, but the temperature was only 25°. The grip available was comparable to my old PS2's on a summer day, they felt that good. Granted, my old tires were 2 1/2 years old on the rear, and 5-6 years old front (originals on my '06). As most of you know, the PS2's are a bit slippery below 50°.

FWIW, I purchased 245/40-18's for the front, and stock size 265/40-18's on the rear. My theory being, I can reduce understeer without having to use an aggressive front alignment (or making expensive suspension changes), allowing alignment for maximum tire life. My tire wear was actually quite even with the factory alignment, except for the inside of the RF tire .I'll have my alignment checked, though it may just be from "dragging" the inside edge on right-hand turns (ramps). I can have my cake, and eat it too!