Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 AM   #41

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
there are some mad fast buicks man, and we all know which ones those are. but i get your joke hehehehe

its good to know that they can do these speeds, but to tell you the truth i really dont care much about that. i jsut want to do soem autoX and track days and take turns fast, not much concerned with the top speed, as i will pretty much never be in a need to push the car to that level. its a great handling car, and its good to know that its capable of those 3 digit speeds.
so if you guys say it can do so, ill take ur word for it, no need for me to retest it especially since my car is not new, and some parts are probable worn out more than a 2kmile porsche or somethign like that

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #42

I've done 147 with the top down. I was driving alone on a completely deserted 4 lane road in west Texas... about the only place that I would feel safe enough. I would never have done it with a passenger or if there was traffic or houses in the area. hearing the sound of the road at 147 was a little unnerving for me... I cant help but think what would happen if I lost brakes or a tire at that speed. I know guys my age that take their srt-4's (front wheel drive turbo I4 with a neon body) or blown mustangs up to 160 all the time. I can't imagine how you would feel OK in a neon doing 160
Old 12-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #43

I'll take the 5th on this public site, altho I'm sure most of you guys would not rat out a fellow Boxsterite. The car was steady as a rock and I felt no difficulties. But 55 seemed like I was parked while cooling down.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 12:55 PM   #44

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I hit 100mph even a couple of weeks after I bought her and she was smooth and stable just like everyone here is describing.

The fastest I've gone is 165mph and that was on my Kawasaki ZX-10R. 163hp and 380lbs dry weight. She'll do 108mph in 1st gear before you hit the rev limiter... I tested it.... and she has 6 gears.

At 165mph the wind is incredible and you get tunnel vision. The bike was still pulling strong but I lost my nerve. I didn't see what rpm I was hitting but I could feel she had a ways to go before she hit the rev limiter.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:04 PM   #45

When I first got my car, my dad reach 125 mph when we got out of the dealer

I've gone 148 miles in a straight away in the highway, with no car in front of me.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #46

I've been fast enough to see 3 digits in my car, but only a for a short period of time.

I'm not as brave as I was when I had a rice rocket that I took to 150+mph (granted this was what the speedo read and probably not how fast I was actually going).

Short story, I was a passenger taking readings in a Cobra R when the brakes boiled over as we were trying to slow down from 150 mph in the straightaway at Grattan Raceway in Michigan. My cheeks pucker (fastest Hail Mary anyone has probably ever heard) as the driver slides the car left and right to scrub off some speed before straightening out into the grass. Fortunately the only damage was to our shorts...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #47
bmussatti

Several years ago, I did the Richard Petty Driving Experience at the Chicago Motor Speedway in Joliet. IL. It was awesome. I participated in the 40 lap driving class. In the final 12 lap set, I had an average lap speed of 153 MPH.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 PM   #48
Track rat

Garage
Fastest ever driven on 4 wheels? 160mph on the back straight at Riverside Raceway in 1974 in a full race Camaro GT. (very scary)

Fastest ever in my Boxster? 95mph at Streets of Willow racetrack. (The car was as calm and composed as if I was going 40)

Fastest ever in my Boxster on a public highway? maybe 80?? I regularly have hot rod Hondas and SUV's blow by me in traffic at 95mph+... I also see a lot of fatal rollovers. I want no part of either.

Last edited by Topless; 06-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:43 PM   #49

Send a message via AIM to shift26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
I hit 100mph even a couple of weeks after I bought her and she was smooth and stable just like everyone here is describing.

The fastest I've gone is 165mph and that was on my Kawasaki ZX-10R. 163hp and 380lbs dry weight. She'll do 108mph in 1st gear before you hit the rev limiter... I tested it.... and she has 6 gears.

At 165mph the wind is incredible and you get tunnel vision. The bike was still pulling strong but I lost my nerve. I didn't see what rpm I was hitting but I could feel she had a ways to go before she hit the rev limiter.
nice choice on the bike... here's my 10R and 6R

shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:58 PM   #50

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Nice bikes, shift. What kind of undertail exhaust do you have for your 10R? The bike is definately an 04/05 which is what I have. I really like that exhaust.

The 6R is sweet, too. Did you hear Kawi isn't making a 636 anymore? For 07 they have a brand new 599... supposed to be pretty cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift26
nice choice on the bike... here's my 10R and 6R

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:34 PM   #51

Send a message via AIM to shift26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Nice bikes, shift. What kind of undertail exhaust do you have for your 10R? The bike is definately an 04/05 which is what I have. I really like that exhaust.

The 6R is sweet, too. Did you hear Kawi isn't making a 636 anymore? For 07 they have a brand new 599... supposed to be pretty cool.

My buddy at http://www.racetaylormade.com/ made the systems on both bikes... The one on the 10R is a single and it is available on his site for purchase. I was not too excited about the plate mount and tail light that came with his setup so I re-did it myself with some other aftermarket LED's. The system on the 636 is a one-off.... If you want more detailed pics of the 10R's system, email me at atilla@shift26.com and I'll send some your way.

Atilla
shift26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:34 PM   #52

I'm with you DJ - and I think Z will agree - quick turns on the rails my Boxster provides for me is much more intense then strait at top speed.

Still can't wait for track time....

- C5150
Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #53

Highest speed? Who cares?

I'm an hour from Deal's gap, hardly a mile of straight road in the county.

Curves, baby, curves!
UroTrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 01:30 PM   #54

Must agree there, I have driven my Box at 120 (Straight road in the desert early in the morning with great visibility). I know it would have gone a lot faster but with the top down it was pretty uncomfortable.

For shear joy pushing it around the bends can’t be beat and that is why I bought the Box.

It has been cold and raining hard here so I am missing my top down driving, I need a nice dry day soon or I will go into withdrawal!
2008 Carrera S Cabriolet, Meteor Grey Metallic, Stainless Steel Exhaust Pipes, Heated Front Seats, Navigation, Floor Mats – I know the Porsche ones suck but they came with the car, Park Assist, Power Seats, Self Dimming Mirrors, 19 inch Sport Design Wheels – Classic Car and Classic Wheels, Bose, Sports Chrono Plus. Mods so Far: XPEL Clear Bra, Smart Top, Dension iPod Integration, Clear Side Markers

2001 MB CLK320 with a collection of performance mods.
MartinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #55

I did an indicated 151 mph on the speedo once...the adrenaline was pumping.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:05 AM   #56

120 MPH top down

In southern California around 2 AM no one on the highway for a mile in front or in back of me. My god was it still smooth and was bucking to go faster easily. I was too scared to go any faster - thinking about the jail time I might face if caught.
orthofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 09:24 AM   #57

Surprisingly, I have not hit 100 once since I got the car. I only got up to 99 once to pass an idiot who was hanging in the left lane (people in NY think it's ok to do that and then speed up when you try to pass them)

I would like to go to a track and have an instructor show me what to do. Is it true the 987s have actual roll bars and not just style bars? I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:07 AM   #58
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
I would like to go to a track and have an instructor show me what to do. Is it true the 987s have actual roll bars and not just style bars? I can't tell the difference.
Yes, the Boxsters (987 & 986) have "REAL" roll bars.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:57 AM   #59

So they are track accepted...generally speaking?
Old 12-13-2006, 11:14 AM   #60

top speed

The question was just how fast you've gone - no specifications, so yeah track speed is fine - we want to know what it was like.

orthofrancis is offline   Reply With Quote