Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2006, 06:52 PM   #21
cartagena

250 kilometers = 155.342798 miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
I think you mean 150mph.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:03 PM   #22

Quote:

"At no time did the front end start to feel light or did it float. It's ability to stick to the road is better than any other car I have driven. While driving at about 130mph I too went over a bump that felt like it went airborne but I am sure it did not leave the ground. It just feels that way since you are being pushed upwards and your body feels lighter for a split second."

Originally Posted by cartagena

Yer right, the car was probably still planted. But when I myself go airborne it still counts

Concerning reckless driving, I think the best thing anyone can do is go race on a track where they've had some proper training and a set of crash walls to contain them. Many people who I've spoken to who do a track day or two instantly feel that need to push it on the roads diminish, it's just not the thrill when you've done 130 or 140 on a real racetrack. After that the thought of doing 105 or something on the road raises real concerns like road conditions, other drivers doing stupid things, and of course the cops, and it's just not worth it.

At the end of the day I feel anyone who has a Boxster vs. a real pony car is kinda missing the point with high speed streaks. This car is built for doing twisties with the top down, carving up corners and enjoying the pleasant winding out of the flat-6. Enjoy the fact your car is built with the quality to streak, and streak well, but it is capable of so much more

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg

Last edited by David N.; 12-10-2006 at 07:13 PM.
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #23

The Boxster doesnt hit much over 100mph on the Turnpike, but I did hit 260kph last week on the A5 near Hockenheim in a rental car
thomschoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:30 PM   #24

Looking forward to track time!

- C5150
Old 12-10-2006, 07:41 PM   #25
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
On most tracks you will never even get close to top speed....
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
so ure saying that to all the people that said to take it to the track?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
250 mph? Did you drop it from a helicopter?
That's a riot......fastest I have gotne is 101.....for like a second at that was it.....just wanted to see the 3 digits on the dashboard light up
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:35 PM   #28

Insanity

I myself, sometimes find the urge to see how fast I can take the car, but, have not done so. Trust me, I love the thrill of speed having ridden and owned several sportbikes in the past, but the dire consequences of having taken a car up to such insane speeds as I'm reading below on the STREET is plain stupidity.

I wish I could share with all of you the pictures I have examined and seen in my files of the barely recognizable mangled pieces of metal intertwined with human body parts from motor vehicle accidents. The pictures of the people involved, with blood and parts everywhere haunts me. It would make you seriously think about driving recklessly on the street. God forbid, if you were ever involved in an accident and killed someone - - that, would be vehicluar manslaughter.

I know we all want to see how fast our boxster's ago, but please, reserve it for the track. Let's make sure that we all get home safe and alive and that we don't jeopardize anyone else's lives.

Sorry if I sound like buzzkill or killjoy, but I've seen too many horrible things happen and I would hate to see one of us hurt ourselves or others.

Just my 2cents.
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 10:01 PM   #29

My top speed so far has been 202kph (125.5 mph). I didn't have the car very long and was doing some spirited driving on the highway with very few cars on it. An M3 cab came up behind me and the 2 of us picked up the speed and spent the next few minutes trading places and I looked down to see my top speed of 202. I had to slow down once there was more traffic but it was quite a rush while it lasted.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:12 PM   #30

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
its not like driving on the track and crashing at 150 mph you would be ok
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:44 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
151 Top Down....Car got up to 140 no problems but it was a crawl from 140-151. Car was super stable, only thing that was worried me was the rear wind screen I thought for sure I was going to lose it.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #32

This thing goes above 35 mph? Damn, I was wondering why all those people have been flashing their lights and honking at me on the highway. I don't know what their problem was...I was safely driving in the left hand lane. Jerk offs.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 01:59 AM   #33

Quote:

"its not like driving on the track and crashing at 150 mph you would be ok"

Originally Posted by djomlas

Yeah, but your chances of taking out an innocent bystander are much less, and that's all we're really concerned about if you've made the decision to drive stupid-fast

But to be fair, a lot of tracks have wide run-off areas, and a couple tire-walls, so a lot more places to lose speed and spin vs. a tight freeway shoulder. Plus other drivers have had at least basic training to avoid doing stupid stuff, and nobody is driving hazardously slow. Willow Springs motorcycle club riders routinely reach 140-160 on the straights of the Willow Springs track, and despite the fact they've had hundreds (thousands?) of crashes, I believe you could count the death toll (from injuries sustained in crashes) from years and years of racing on one hand. I would gladly ride a motorcycle there vs. on the street.

Sadly their track is probably a little small to get a Boxster up really fast when the cars do track days there, for that you need to do a track day at California speedway...

-David
http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:22 AM   #34

Im lucky enough to have about a 4 mile straight which takes me nearly to my home.

have not seen a police car on it ever in the last year.

Every night I sit on between 130-140mph on it. Never any other cars around.

lucky me

Past Cars
2006 MB C180k
2005 Peugeot 306
1980 928
2004 Subaru Liberty GT
2000 Nissan Pulsar SSS
smagerstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #35

110mph in 4th gear on the Main Straight at Limerock Race Park, CT, but that was the LEAST interesting part of the whole experience. Taking that S-curve at the right rpms, braking correctly, (probably not faster than 70mph, but who has the time to look at the speed) and with the perfect line, is THE thing.

The forces your body feels are the same when driving 40mph and 140mph constant speed in a straight line -- except for the increased vibrations. The joy of driving comes from experiencing and manipulating forward and lateral forces (i.e. acceleration).

I will concur with all posts that raised the issue of safety while driving 100mph+ on public roads. The track is built with mishaps in mind -- run-off areas, tire-walls, banks, etc. And on the track there is a warning logistics (flaggers) in place that warns against unfavorable conditions on the road (debris, accident, slower traffic, etc.). Plus, on the track, you are driving at speeds everyone else is driving. So on the track, BOTH the likelihood AND the consequences of an accident are minimized to the maximum extent. Not so much on a public road.

I agree, after taking it all out of your system at the track, the last thing one desires is to drive like a maniac on public roads.

As always, just my opinion.

Z.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:32 AM   #36

I think about 125, briefly,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #37

Cool

I got it up to 40mph once in Bradenton Florida, Now with the Snow Birds down here it is unsafe at 25mph. But when you get on Route 75 it is like driving on the Autobahn
Old 12-11-2006, 07:40 AM   #38

135 in Canada on my way to see the GP du Canada with my son. He did 120 in NY Thruway.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:37 AM   #39

hehe my bad

I had it maxed out several times....whats that about 152 I think?

but it was on the 10, in the middle of friggin nowhere in the desert coming back from Scottsdale to socali in the middle of a weekday.

Top was down as well. The only thing I saw on the road for at least 25 miles was a few roadrunners, so I took my chance. The car felt solid, but the steering gets very touchy above 130 or so. And it took a long time to get from 135 to 150.

You take your chances. I would never had done if if the road wasn't very clear, let me say, but I wanted to be able to experience redline in 5th in the car.

But interestingly enough, last Thursday, I was going to a jobsite mtg at Camp Pendelton up the 5 from San Diego, and the traffic was pretty light at 11:00 am.....

and this guy in a V8 mustang wanted to play.....so we both hit it (the first time I have really gotten on it since the engine swap) and we got up to 130 or so. We kept it up for a few miles and then started to hit some traffic so I slowed it down and he did too. It was fun. He gave me the thumbs up when we slowed down, I think he was suprised a boxster could keep up with him.

you can drive fast if conditions are right. Of course you have to be smart about it, and willing to risk jail time of you blow past a cop. The problem is conditions are seldom right. Thus, you can't go fast very often.
Evo Intake
Partial Carbon Interior
Black Leather Sport seats
M030 Sway Bars
Litronics w/ Clear Corners
Boxster S brakes
B&M Short Shifter
PnP rear Speakers + Amp
pecivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #40

top speed

These cars were built to run at top speed all day.

Check the back of your owners manual and that should tell you what your car will do. Should you so desire.

A top speed run is not to be taken lightly. You need a road that is "safe" and free of the unforseen. Your car should be given a mechanical check much like you would prior to a track day or race event. Particular attention should be paid to tires.

Once you meet that criterion, you point the car down the road and keep your foot in it until the wind says no.

Nothing to it. As long as you. And the car. And the road are prepared. And there's no one around. Particularly no one with lights on the top of their car.

My personal top speed is 182. In a full race Viper. On a race track.

I imagine the top speed I will hit in my Boxster s will be what the owners manual says it will be... 164. On a desert road in the middle of nowhere.

These cars were built to go fast. Don't feel bad about doing it. Provided it's the right time and place and you know what you're doing.

By the way, the right time and place is almost never on a city street.

On that note, anyone who plans on driving their Porsche anywhere near the limit has a responsibility to enroll in a drivers school. Do a few track days. Learn what your car can, and cannot do.

Enough of the soapbox. Have fun in your sports car. That's what it's for.

If I wanted something to drive around in slowly I would have bought a Buick.

jh

huzzah ! is offline   Reply With Quote