Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 03:54 PM   #21

am i missing something here? I don't see the VW Bug reflection on it...can someone shed a light on me Can someone post a pix of it side by side

unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98Boxster98
Where does the big ole sunroof go when opened? Is it essentially two rear windows when it's retracted? The new Targa seems more practical for me. I don't the idea of getting out, taking the top off and then storing it. I wouldn't mind a Cayman Targa.
Exactly. The big ole sunroof slides down under the rear window, so when you look in the rear-view mirror you are actually looking through two pieces of glass. Personally, I really like the new iteration of the Targa. I know I'm going to offend someone here, but I've always disliked the old Targa. The Targa's lines are nowhere near as clean as the coupe's.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 04:25 PM   #23

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
am i missing something here? I don't see the VW Bug reflection on it...can someone shed a light on me Can someone post a pix of it side by side

I'm not saying they look exactly alike, but the two cars have very similar lines. The headlights and the rear end especially. If you think about it it's not that surprising. Ferdinand Porsche started Volkswagen for Hitler and gave him the Bug. Then he wanted to build sportscars so you can see the Bug's influence in his first cars. As the Porsche evolved it still retained the similar lines as the venerable VW car. I think that the 80's body styles looked most unique, but then the newer sleeker more rounded body styles are going back to the older days and look more like the Bug.

But that's just my humble opinion. Either way I think the car is gorgeous and I would like to own one... I just liked the "stop, take the top off, store it, and go" targa better.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #24

Well, like I said, this targa weighs too much more and costs too much more.

I think they should make the roof go ALL the way in. The one I saw and posted pics of, part of the roof was overlapping into the open-air spot.

Anyone got pics of the old targa?
Old 12-04-2006, 05:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Motorist
Anyone got pics of the old targa?
Here's the old version of the Targa. You've probably seen 70 scrillion of them.

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:34 PM   #26

Ohh. Yeah that's a LOT better than the current targa. It almost reminds me of a t top witout the t..lol

But there are some convertibles designed like that that are considered "convertibles", like the lotus elise.

So that might have been redundant if porsche came out with that again, since the only real difference from the looks is that there is a large rear windshield.

Well, let's see how the targa does. I always want the best for porsche as a company. Means better cars for us!
Old 12-04-2006, 08:04 PM   #27

not a fan of it myself, I guess it looks alright but if its a targa I agree the thing should come off, its just a huge sunroof....
super66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 05:19 AM   #28

The BIG difference between this new "Targa" and the old one is the roof pillars -- not the ability to take the roof off. The new "Targa" has roof pillars, and the old one doesn't. For me it's simple:
No pillars = Targa.
With pillars = Sunroof. And that's what the new one is. A 911 with a big sunroof.

Also, I read a couple of mag reviews complaining that rear visibility is signifficantly dimished when both glass panes are stacked at the back.

Seeing this $100k rear-engined Porsche with a sunroof, makes me feel even better about my Box S: better looking, mid-engined, full top-down, for half the price. Can't beat that with a stick.

Z.