Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2006, 03:40 PM   #1

Artistic Preservation

Thats the line I plan to use if I ever get pulled over for not having a front license plate. Speaking of which, who else chooses to keep their Boxster 'eye-sore free', at least in the front? Ive driven around Los Angeles for 3 months now and haven't been pulled over yet, is it bound to happen soon? Are there any success and/or horror stories people might want to share on this subject?

-David

http://www.darkoven.com/sig.jpg
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 03:45 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
I haven't had a front license plate on any of my cars and haven't been pulled over for it.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
All i got in as far as tickets in my Boxster since ownership is 1 speeding ticket which i was guilty of 53mph in a 35mph in the Palos Verdes winding downhill roads, I could have gone faster but i didnt.

I dont think you will ever get a ticket for not having a front plate on a luxury sports car like a Porsche or a newer Corvette, Police are just used to seeing them like that, that i assume they assume the dealer sells them like that. So they dont bother. Plus Police hate to goto court for people like us that fight tickets, we know its not the money as much as it is stupid to hand a worthless ticket out like that.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:09 PM   #4

The front license plate dilemma. I actually put mine on this past weekend after debating for a few weeks...It's an eyesore, but, will save you headaches in the long run.

The fact that there is no license plate will give cops the green light to pull you over, even if you have not committed any other traffic offense. think about the aggravation of going to court and taking time off work.

Just my 2cents.

Think about it. Is it really worth it?
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:17 PM   #5

Always wondered. Are there states in which front plates are not required by law?
Old 11-28-2006, 04:34 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I've been pulled over for it on two separate occasions, once in the Boxster and the other in our 2006 S500. The Boxster actually was ticked while parked; I was walking up to my car after a long hard day at...the beach... and asked the parking officer (if they really are officers) what was going on. This FAT parking lady said "sir you have no front license plate so I am ticketing it for you, next time you should think about that". The Mercedes incident pissed me off a little bit more because the car came FROM THE FACTORY with no pre-drilled holes for a plate in the front. There is NO WAY to put it on unless u zip tie it to the grills or put it in the window. The officer cited me anyway go figure. With that one he said "next time you buy a car you should check to make sure it has holes for license plates". I’m sitting there thinking yes next time I go and buy a 100k car ill ask the sales person "so does this car have those cool license plate holes, or is that a separate package". So stupid.

I've even been pulled over in the Boxster so the officer can check and make sure my car was legally off the ground. Apparently my headlights need to be 36" off the ground or something like that and yeah it was actually “above the legal limit”.

As much as I respect those who serve the community and put their lives at risk for us, some of the stuff they do is just plain stupid.

Sorry for the rant….

James
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 04:50 PM   #7
boggtown

I accually took mine off 2 weeks ago, tons better. I live in missouri and its neccesarry for front license plate, but you dont need it in kansas, I work in kansas and live in kansas city so I figure half the cops who see me from the front will just accept it because half of all the cars dont have front license plates. I was driving a couple days ago above the speed limit and I see a car flying past people behind me (it was night), so from past experience, I slowed down to 65 (was going 80), and let the cop follow me for 5 miles before finaly turning around. I guess someone had called the police on me, but being paranoid as heck and playing it safe saved me a ticket, no tickets so far. Knock on wood.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:59 PM   #8

I've been pulled over twice now in 2.5 years of Porsche ownership. That's two times more than ever before in any other sports car. It's obviously something cops like to do to Porsche owners, and they probably do it to Ferrari and Lamborghini owners too. I actually budget one $75 ticket per year for violating Texas' "front license plate requirement so we can shoot laser and radar at your car with ease and oh yeah, nail you with photo radar or intersection cameras"

Let them ticket me as often as they like. I've talked my way out of the two times I've been pulled over, but my luck is bound to run out sooner or later. Both cops, one a Texas Dept. of Public Safety and the other Houston Police Dept. both told me they know it's required for making it easier to catch speeders with radar or laser.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-28-2006 at 05:04 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Always wondered. Are there states in which front plates are not required by law?
South Carolina doesn't require one.
JackG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #10

Hi,

The only states which do not require a Front Plate are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

You're really tickling the Dragon's Tail not to have one if your state requires it. It gives the Cops Probable Cause for a stop and then you're possibly in for a whole lot more such as Sobriety testing, Equip. Tests, etc. Luck will have it that you just left a Party and maybe had one too many for the Breathalizer and then you're gonna be screwed.

IMHO, it's not worth it. Many Municipalities are cracking down like never before on this because they need the revenue to shore-up State and Federal shortfalls. And, you are, afterall, breaking the Law.

If you don't like it, start a referendum to alter the Law, but until then, obey it like any other traffic law. IMHO, it's really arrogant to see people with these cars and not have a required plate, as if they're something special just because they can afford a nicer car, that the Law somehow doesn't apply to them...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:09 PM   #11

Jim, here in Houston there are thousands of cars and pickup trucks who don't have a front license plate on, and the cops single out the Pcars it seems. None of my buddies have their front plate on their car and they never get stopped.

And just for the record, if I am driving nary a drop of liquor touches my lips. Ever. That's the best weapon against getting stopped and nearly failing (or nearly passing) a breathalizer test.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jim, here in Houston there are thousands of cars and pickup trucks who don't have a front license plate on, and the cops single out the Pcars it seems. None of my buddies have their front plate on their car and they never get stopped.

And just for the record, if I am driving nary a drop of liquor touches my lips. Ever. That's the best weapon against getting stopped and nearly failing (or nearly passing) a breathalizer test.
Randall,

Just because thousands of others ignore the Law doesn't make it Legal for you to do so. Sounds as if a Referendum to do away with it would have a chance in your state - write your State Senator to start one.

Agree about the drinking. I don't drink and drive, nor should anyone else.

All I'm saying is that it's the Law and should be followed. Also, why make a cop's job tougher by making them make these nuisance stops? Better they go after more serious crime...

Old 11-28-2006, 05:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The only states which do not require a Front Plate are: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, and West Virginia.

You're really tickling the Dragon's Tail not to have one if your state requires it. It gives the Cops Probable Cause for a stop and then you're possibly in for a whole lot more such as Sobriety testing, Equip. Tests, etc. Luck will have it that you just left a Party and maybe had one too many for the Breathalizer and then you're gonna be screwed.

IMHO, it's not worth it. Many Municipalities are cracking down like never before on this because they need the revenue to shore-up State and Federal shortfalls. And, you are, afterall, breaking the Law.

If you don't like it, start a referendum to alter the Law, but until then, obey it like any other traffic law. IMHO, it's really arrogant to see people with these cars and not have a required plate, as if they're something special just because they can afford a nicer car, that the Law somehow doesn't apply to them...

I knew it! Whenever I saw a car without a front plate it was from PA.
I'm with Jim on this one. The spoiled aesthetics is small price to pay for avoiding probable cause.

Randall, it seems that cops are more lenient about this in a state that borders states where front plates are not required. Texas is practically surrounded by them, so cops are used to seeing a lot of cars without front plates. This leniency then encourages TX drivers (such as yourself) to also drop their front plates which produces even more cars like that.

Z.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:23 PM   #14
boggtown

I took mine off due to looks and aerodynamics. How much are tickets?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by boggtown
I took mine off due to looks and aerodynamics. How much are tickets?
Hi,

Here in MN, it's $50, but I've seen other states charge as much as $125.

Ironically, I was once out of town when a Snow Emergency was declared requiring all vehicles be off the streets for the Snow Plows. My Passport was on the street and was towed to an impound lot. When I picked it up, the Tow Co. had ripped the license plate holder off lifting the car. Honda didn't have one in stock, so I ordered it, paid a deposit and placed the plate on the dash, totally visible. I got a ticket while parked. Next day, while parked, another ticket. I called the City, explained what happened and why the plate wasn't properly mounted. They agreed to rip up only one of the two tickets. So, I sucessfully fought the other one in court on the premise that I had an order for the part, but through no fault of mine, hadn't received it so could not comply with the statute.

Also, check your state statutes. Here in MN, you don't need a Front Plate if you have Collector plates (25+ Yr. old car), Street Rod plates, etc. so I don't have a front one on my '71 240Z. 5 more years, and I can remove the one on my Esprit, 17 yrs. for the Boxster though...

Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #16

I'm not putting mine back on, Jim... and you can't make me!!!! But you do provide good sound reasoning for having one on when it's required by law. I'm just gonna ignore it.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #17

I drove my Miata for three years here in Virginia without a front plate.

For some reason I feel like there is a big target painted on my Boxster so I haven't pressed my luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 05:42 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
17 tickets so far, now i just leave it on and get on with it, its getting old here in chicago.
but then, im so pissed, my friend never had one on his e36 and never got pulled over.

they told me that they can charge you with some kind of homicide if the plate should fly off your windshield/dash and slice your passingers throat. wow
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page

Last edited by djomlas; 11-28-2006 at 05:44 PM.
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 06:06 PM   #19

Missouri is a "front plate state". I was stopped the other day by a road block set up by the Highway Patrol. I don't know about other states, but in Missouri, one doesn't really want to mess with the State guys. yes sir, no sir are appropriate responses to most of their questions! He said they had set up the block for a "safety" check..ummmm ok sir, whatever. He walked arouind the car, which is minus the required front plate, leaned over and asked for license and registration. oh dammmm i thought, the ONLY thing i can think of to bring this on is the front plate. I told him I would have to get out of the car to get the license, since it was in my wallet in my back pocket and I couldn't retreive it without getting out. Put his hand on the door, looked at me, and said.. have a nice day sir. whew... Thank you sir... I hope you catch whoever you're looking for.

I've been front plate-less for about a year and a half in the Boxster. Stopped a couple of times by local gendarmes (sp???), but never ticketed for anything!!! let alone no front plate. Stopped a couple of times by the state guys in various road blocks for who knows what, never ticketed or even suspected. lol. Either I'm very, very lucky, or they really don't give a hoot about the front plate. Now, I HAVE heard a couple of stories about the proverbial meter maids issuing tickets for front plates, but those are, at best, second hand, and somewhat suspect, given the source. Besides, if I ever DO get asked about it, its in the front trunk, behind the spare tire.... really it is. I'm waiting for the part to come in from the dealer so I can install it.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 07:31 PM   #20

For those of you resisting the front plates, you really open yourself up to being pulled over. If your state requires it, like here in CA, you should really put it on. It's just not worth the hassle and the time. Why make yourself a target for tickets and probable cause?

Trust me - - in the most inconvenient of times, you will be pulled over when you normally would not. :troll:

USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote