Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2023, 07:49 PM   #1

Odd window problem.

I parked my car outside in the sun yesterday morning to sweep my garage. and since my lawn was getting cut I rolled up the windows. Decided to put gas in my other car so I locked the Boxster and was gone 20 minutes. Left the car outside until about 6, went to bring it in, lower the windows and nothing. The auto drop and raise works with the door handles fine. Checked the fuse, looked good but put a new one in just to be sure, nothing. What's the odds of both window switches going bad at the same time. I would think slim. Any ideas? Am I missing something?.

JBauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Well, JB, I think the Boxster was butthurt, because your other car got the gas.

But honestly...everything works fine, car starts, etc. except of both window switches?
Hmmm...normally weird acting windows point to a dying battery. Battery voltage 13-14V okay?
If not...alternator might be gone kaputt?
Old 05-24-2023, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Well, JB, I think the Boxster was butthurt, because your other car got the gas.

But honestly...everything works fine, car starts, etc. except of both window switches?
Hmmm...normally weird acting windows point to a dying battery. Battery voltage 13-14V okay?
If not...alternator might be gone kaputt?
Everything seems normal but I'll check the battery. Starts and everything else seems to work, weird.
Thanks 👍
Old 05-25-2023, 11:51 AM   #4

I hope it's not the same issue with yours, but when I bough mine I had the exact same issue with the windows. Auto drop and raise worked, so that eliminated the actuators. The previous owner told me the Immobilizer had gotten wet. Sure enough, after changing the Immobilizer the windows worked.

I hope it's not your issue, but maybe it had sustained prior water damage and the corrosion is only now getting to the part effecting the windows? It won't hurt to open in up and look for water damage.
Old 05-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #5

I went and looked everything seems fine under there. I've had the car for years and run a hardtop mostly now, never had a leaking problem on either top so I'm guessing it probably something else. I'm not sure where to start. I think I've got some extra switches around here somewhere. I guess that the first thing. 🤷
Old 05-26-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Both switches failing at the same time would be odd. I know that some window function goes through the relay for the top. It's a long shot, but open the latch for the top and see if you get window drop. Sometimes just pulling the relay out and re-seating it can clear a weak connection.
Old 05-26-2023, 07:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBauer View Post
I went and looked everything seems fine under there. I've had the car for years and run a hardtop mostly now, never had a leaking problem on either top so I'm guessing it probably something else. I'm not sure where to start. I think I've got some extra switches around here somewhere. I guess that the first thing. 🤷
Good! I'm glad it's not that!
Old 05-26-2023, 09:38 AM   #8

Start with the simplest things first.
Get a schematic of the wiring circuit for the entire window system do a little studying of the circuit so you can understand how it functions.
Then.....
Test the fuse in place with key on...this will tell you if the fuse is good or not and also if your getting power to the circuit or not.
Then test the wires at the switches test the positive side for power and the ground side for continuity.
Then test the switches.
All you need is a volt meter and an understanding of the circuit.
Keep working from the simplest parts of the circuit to the more complex until you find the issue.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 05:08 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I believe the fuse is good, looks good and that fuse is for the windows and the turn signals, they work. I'll go from there.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I believe the fuse is good, looks good and that fuse is for the windows and the turn signals, they work. I'll go from there.
What year is your car again? Here are diagrams for 97-2000 and 2001-2004. They changed a lot in 2001, like being tied into the Immobilizer and they seem to get power from 2 different fuses.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 97_WIndows_Circuit_Diagrams.pdf (266.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: pdf 01_Window_Circuit_Diagrams.pdf (210.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by piper6909; 05-26-2023 at 06:19 PM.
piper6909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 07:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper6909 View Post
What year is your car again? Here are diagrams for 97-2000 and 2001-2004. They changed a lot in 2001, like being tied into the Immobilizer and they seem to get power from 2 different fuses.
Thanks for the diagram. It's a 2003. Online diagram does show 2, they both look good. Any relays that maybe could of went out? ��
Old 05-26-2023, 07:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Both switches failing at the same time would be odd. I know that some window function goes through the relay for the top. It's a long shot, but open the latch for the top and see if you get window drop. Sometimes just pulling the relay out and re-seating it can clear a weak connection.
Just saw this. I run a hardtop all the time so I don't think that could be connected but Is there a relay for the power windows? If so do you know where it is?
Old 05-27-2023, 03:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks for the diagram. It's a 2003. Online diagram does show 2, they both look good. Any relays that maybe could of went out? ��
I couldn't find any relays in the diagram. It's hard to believe they'd run the circuit without a relay, so maybe it's running off the power top relay? (as 78F350 said)
Old 05-27-2023, 09:37 PM   #14

It's fixed, I make aftermarket headlights and on had an intermittent short in the wiring that was affecting my power window fuse. Put mine back in and replaced the fuse again, windows work fine. Thanks for all the help. 👍