Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2023, 07:05 PM   #1

Convertible top stuck in open position. Need help with next steps

Hi all,

Today when I was opening the top on my '04 Boxster I could feel something was "off" towards the very end of the process. Can't pinpoint what that was exactly, but it just felt different.

When I got to my destination I realized it won't close. I played with the buttons a bit, at some point, it started lifting for a second and then stopped. The bottom line is that the top now is in a fully open position, and won't go back up.

I started browsing the forum for potential solutions:
- Handbrake is up, and the dash light works.
- I can hear a single 'click' in the top switch where the hook should go when I manually press it. I played with it a bit to see if it solve the issue. It didn't. The only thing that happened is that now I have a constant dash light as the top is being operated - even though it's fully open.
- I checked the fuses, no visual damage
- I unplugged and replugged the relay to make sure contact is not loose, no effect.

When the car is off, with the ignition on, if I try clicking the open/close buttons I can hear some sort of clicking sound from the top area. It happens every 1-2 seconds or so for as long as I hold the button. I can't pinpoint where exactly it is coming from - it feels like it's in the middle area where the central brake light is. But I'm not 100% sure.

Since I do get this clicking sound, my hunch is that the electrical system works fine and it may be something mechanical.

Can you please confirm (or deny!) my suspicion, and hopefully recommend the next steps in identifying the problem?

I guess it's a good time to mention that I don't have the space or knowledge to perform complicated fixes, so unless it's something fairly simple, I'll be probably taking it to the shop anyway. But even then, it would be nice to diagnose it beforehand so that I can minimize my chances of getting ripped off!

Thanks everybody!

WhatAmIDoing is offline   Reply With Quote