Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 06:10 PM   #1

central locking problem

The red light beside the door lock toggle switch on the dash is stuck "on". If I push the button the horn honks twice and the light remains lit. I looked in the owners manual and it says I need to bring the car to the dealer. I'm afraid the dealer is going to charge $2k for what seems to be a minor problem. It seems the passenger door window does not lower/raise upon closing. Otherwise, the car (a 2001 S) runs fine. Is it possible to bypass the central locking system and just unlock the door with a key? Anyone know what the problem is?

brp987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:33 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp987 View Post
The red light beside the door lock toggle switch on the dash is stuck "on". If I push the button the horn honks twice and the light remains lit. I looked in the owners manual and it says I need to bring the car to the dealer. I'm afraid the dealer is going to charge $2k for what seems to be a minor problem. It seems the passenger door window does not lower/raise upon closing. Otherwise, the car (a 2001 S) runs fine. Is it possible to bypass the central locking system and just unlock the door with a key? Anyone know what the problem is?
Uh, yes...

Also, check the relay(s).
Old 05-04-2023, 12:12 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
99 44/100% probability that there is a bad micro switch in the latch on your passenger side door. Actually, the switch is probably fine, but the plastic face on the cam which actuated it is gone - not that it matters, because the path to a repair is to replace the latch.

There is the Porsche version of the part and the VW version of the part. I bought the VW version… you will have to poke around to find the part number.
tcoradeschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 04:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoradeschi View Post
99 44/100% probability that there is a bad micro switch in the latch on your passenger side door. Actually, the switch is probably fine, but the plastic face on the cam which actuated it is gone - not that it matters, because the path to a repair is to replace the latch.

There is the Porsche version of the part and the VW version of the part. I bought the VW version… you will have to poke around to find the part number.
When you say "latch" are you referring to what porsche calls a "lock"? In Pelican Parts there are 2 types of locks: with or w/o so called M535 anti-theft 315 MHz. Either a $700 or a $300 part. Yikes. There is a $155 URO part but it doesn't mention the M535 stuff.
Old 05-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Latch is referring to this:
Door Lock Mechanism Malfunction (window springs back up) -What's Really Going On?

VW do latch/actuator
Old 05-05-2023, 01:49 PM   #6

Thanks for that 78F350. Do you know what the "M535 anti-theft 315 MHz" stuff is about? What happens if a non-M535 latch/lock is installed into a M535 car (on the passenger side)?
Old 05-05-2023, 02:46 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for that 78F350. Do you know what the "M535 anti-theft 315 MHz" stuff is about? What happens if a non-M535 latch/lock is installed into a M535 car (on the passenger side)?
I'm not sure of the differences. I have had Boxsters that did not have a key hole on the passenger side and some that did. That may be related.

Here's some related parts catalog parts.

Option codes:

#14 shown as the entire latch piece in the diagram:

Old 05-05-2023, 04:45 PM   #8

There is much good information on this thread: Windows drop troubleshooting.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 01:20 PM   #9

My drivers side (offside) window drops when you open the door but when the handle both inside and out goes all the way up and gets trapped in the ridge of the soft top could anyone advise me of the problem and how to solve it please
DamonMarc28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:20 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonMarc28 View Post
My drivers side (offside) window drops when you open the door but when the handle both inside and out goes all the way up and gets trapped in the ridge of the soft top could anyone advise me of the problem and how to solve it please
Start by reading what people wrote in the thread you posted in. The links have lots of info that will help. Like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
There is much good information on this thread: Windows drop troubleshooting.