Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2006, 03:35 PM   #21

CaymanS

The Cayman was sorta like my 912 on lots of steroids. Although I haven't driven the 912 daily for about 10 years is still gets around. One reason I have been able to keep it so long is there are many more opportunities to "do it yourself". It's a very simple car compared to the Box/Cayman. I'm mechanically challanged but was still able to take care of oil, lube, valve adjustment, brakes, etc. I know, by reading most of these posts, that there are many of you that work on your own. That's really handy but I'm not going there. So I do have to think about the costs of maintaining the car the only way I know - close to as perfect as you can get while still driving it a lot. One advantage of buying new is it starts out the way you want it so it's up to you(me) to keep it that way. However, I haven't ran the depreciation numbers, probably someone out there that has. If so is there is a sweet spot on year/miles? For those of you who are now saying to yourself "geez stop thinking and start buying" I understand. I'll get there.

69912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #22

au contraire monfreirre (horrible spellinng I know)

take all the time you need.

Boxster prices are falling (as are standard 911's) and the more time goes the more Caymans they make!

As a buyer you are in no rush at all as the deals only get sweeter.

In the last week I've heard of a poster who scored a Boxster for $15K and another guy on Rennlist that scored a '99 Carrera for $20K.
Two cars in decent looking shape for a combined price of only $35K?!? CRAZY

I've been searching for 2nd hand Caymans and you aren't touching one for too much under $60K. That car is going to be in high demmand as a used car for possibly its whole life time. I seriously doubt they will ever produce big numbers for a two seat tin top like they did for a convertible Boxster and the back seat equipped 911. Less supply more demmand. Always good for a car guy.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #23

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69912
I've been driving my 69 912 since buying used in 72. Every day car for many years and now, like an old hunting dog, I take her out in the sun once in a while. All the kids are out of school and on their own. Finally dad get's to spend some money for himself and has had his eye on a 03 Boxster S black on black. Just looking at it makes me- well you know. I did a little reading about them in Road and Track etc and my son suggested I look at a few of the forums. I didn't know what they were untill he explained them and showed me how. Hence here I am. I must say that after reading nearly everything here I'm scared to death about the problems that you all write about. It has discouraged me from moving forward but I decided to write this message to see if there was someone out there that could tell me all these problems with the Boxsters are rare and some of you have had resonable worry free ownership.
Boxster or whatever, DONT sell that 912!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:34 PM   #24

Talking

"Rennlist that scored a '99 Carrera for $20K."

Hmmm, I would LOVE to see that bad boy.

Any bets on what is in store for this bohunk?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #25

I recall the mileage being high, 70K and it being a quick sale after a
top down Inspection. Those 996's are just not holding value like they used to.

good news for us poh folk. Never thought a non-air cooled 911 could be so accessible. As soon as 2002 C4S hits the sub $40K mark... look out!
The most beautiful 911 (coming from non-911 fan).
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-20-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #26

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had a 66 912. I'd like to drive one again just to see if it is as good as I remember.

I moved up to the Boxster from a Miata last April, so I understand your reluctance to move to a more complex car. As far as the mechanical repairs are concerned, I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the Boxster. I changed the oil myself, and I can take care of most minor issues like the cabin and air filters and burned out bulbs.

When I had a problem that turned out to be the Mass Air Flow sensor, I had to take the car to a pro for diagnosis and repair. This board and some others are great for assistance and suggestions, but you need access to decent diagnostic software. AutoZone can point you in the right direction with their code reader, but for some things you need the PST2 or equivalent to tell you exactly what is wrong. You don't want to start swapping in parts at the price Porsche charges.

The good news is that there are a lot of good independent Porsche mechanics out there, and with a little effort you can find one that will treat you decently. The good independents aren't deadly cheap, but they will help keep ownership affordable.

The price of good used Boxsters is so reasonable (I paid $21,250 for a 2000 with 30k on it that listed for over $48,000 new) you should be able to put aside $2000 for repairs in case you need them. It does seem that there can be catastrophic problems with the engines. You will just have to take that chance if you want to enjoy the ride.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 10:18 PM   #27

I have an 03 S and have had zero problems since I picked it up new over 3 yrs and 19k miles ago. The car has been as reliable as a wood burning stove even after 50 or so auto-x runs and redline shifts on every drive. You have to understand that many/most owners come to forums like this because they have issues/problems. Like Blinkwatt said, most boxster owners are happily motoring along.

Last edited by Adam; 11-20-2006 at 10:22 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote