Thread: Wanna Buy But
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #26
KevinH1990

When I was a teenager, a friend of mine had a 66 912. I'd like to drive one again just to see if it is as good as I remember.

I moved up to the Boxster from a Miata last April, so I understand your reluctance to move to a more complex car. As far as the mechanical repairs are concerned, I have to admit I'm a little intimidated by the Boxster. I changed the oil myself, and I can take care of most minor issues like the cabin and air filters and burned out bulbs.

When I had a problem that turned out to be the Mass Air Flow sensor, I had to take the car to a pro for diagnosis and repair. This board and some others are great for assistance and suggestions, but you need access to decent diagnostic software. AutoZone can point you in the right direction with their code reader, but for some things you need the PST2 or equivalent to tell you exactly what is wrong. You don't want to start swapping in parts at the price Porsche charges.

The good news is that there are a lot of good independent Porsche mechanics out there, and with a little effort you can find one that will treat you decently. The good independents aren't deadly cheap, but they will help keep ownership affordable.

The price of good used Boxsters is so reasonable (I paid $21,250 for a 2000 with 30k on it that listed for over $48,000 new) you should be able to put aside $2000 for repairs in case you need them. It does seem that there can be catastrophic problems with the engines. You will just have to take that chance if you want to enjoy the ride.

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote