Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 06:35 PM   #1

Alternator Idler Pulley bolt snapped

Hi All,

I have a 2004 Boxster S SE and the Alternator idler pulley bolt snapped off. I've searched the forums and can only find info about the Alternator pulley bolt snapping off, not the idler pulley bolt. Any suggestions on how to remove the snapped bolt? Can I just hammer the bolt towards the engine and pull it out that way. Please see the attached pictures. I was fortunate that there wasn't any other damage (that I know of). I plan to replace the pulley, bolt and accessory belt.

Thank you!

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  187.2 KB

Attached Images

spdrcr21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 07:50 PM   #2

I think your best bet would likely be a long left hand thread extraction bit, although I've not had to address this problem before. The end of the bolt will still have threads so you're not going to be able to just hammer it out I would think.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2022, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike84 View Post
I think your best bet would likely be a long left hand thread extraction bit, although I've not had to address this problem before. The end of the bolt will still have threads so you're not going to be able to just hammer it out I would think.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

HI Ike84. Thanks for the suggestion. That's another option I have know!

I've taken out the alternator before. I remember the threads just go into a bushing that can be popped out. I'm thinking I can just pop that bushing out with the broken bolt still attached and get it out from the engine side. This the main option I'm leaning toward so far. Anyone have any concerns with it.

Anyone think I can use jbweld to put the bolt back together enough to unscrew it?

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2022, 03:22 AM   #4

I have virtually zero experience with JBW, so keep that in mind.

However, I would think it would be tough to apply it in such a way that you keep it ONLY on the bolt. I'd be nervous that I'd gum up the whole works and never get any of it out again.

That said, if the stuff is as magical as they make it out to be, and you only apply a match-head amount of it in the center of the bolt and only gently push it into place, who knows? Might work.

Let us know how it works out if you happen to go that route..
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 07:53 AM   #5

3 options....

remove the intake see if you can get to it from there
drop the engine, remove the intake & see about access
get a long punch, threaded rod, etc and knock the bushing out the back from the front. This will be the most likely method that works best. you want metal on metal to do this.

JFP might have another suggest, but I very much doubt you will get jbweld to hold onto anything for this.

It's been a year and wrenched on 6 other cars since I removed the alternator so I can't remember if that bolt threads to the back of the alternator or if there is a bolt on the back end. So option 1 or 2 might be the best route.

Removing the pass intake is easier then driver side at least.

If you were removing the pully to replace the alternator then if you have to grind/drill off anything on it at least it was going to be replaced anyway.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)

Last edited by Stl-986; 06-13-2022 at 07:57 AM.
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:58 AM   #6

Garage
You should be able to pop the bushing out by tapping the broken end of the bolt from front to rear. I just looked at an alternator in the garage, here`s what it looks like, hope that helps:

Homeoboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 01:07 PM   #7

Stl-986, Homeoboxter and Frodo,

Thanks for the the advice and feedback. I appreciate it. I'll post an update as soon as I have time to work on the car. I've ordered a new pulley, bolt and belt thus far.

Thank you all!

Last edited by spdrcr21; 06-13-2022 at 01:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-15-2022, 07:22 PM   #8

Success! The bolt that sheared off uses friction to hold the alternator on. I loosened the main power wire on top of the engine that leads to the alternator and removed the lower alternator mounting bolt. Once I did this I was able to pivot the alternator to where I could unscrew the sheared bolt. I've installed the new idler pulley and bolt and just need to put the serpentine belt back on. I'll provide another update tomorrow. Thanks all
Old 06-16-2022, 05:04 PM   #9

Congrats. Persistence generally pays off, eh?

Got my Boxster in 2006 and was faced with alternator issues the end of 2008. Got her out, then rebuilt and reinstalled, and has been fine since. But that's long enough ago I couldn't remember any of the details...other than the fact that, with the close tolerances, I had a BEAR of a time getting that sucker back in and aligned so as to be able to get it bolted in place. THAT I remember well.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Got my Boxster in 2006 and was faced with alternator issues the end of 2008. Got her out, then rebuilt and reinstalled, and has been fine since. But that's long enough ago I couldn't remember any of the details...other than the fact that, with the close tolerances, I had a BEAR of a time getting that sucker back in and aligned so as to be able to get it bolted in place. THAT I remember well.
That thing is in there tight! Just waiting for my battery to charge and I'll put it back in the car and see if she starts.
Old 06-17-2022, 03:57 AM   #11
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post

Likewise with my 98. Had it rebuilt a couple of years ago and getting it back in was a PITA. I recall trying to finagle that last bolt in (same as OP?) with a tire iron, piece of lumber, and freaking broom handle. When that bolt finally lined up for that last piece... whew.
Old 06-17-2022, 09:49 PM   #12

Hi All,

I got the car running. Thanks for the advice and support

Thanks