Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2022, 07:41 PM   #1

LED Bulbs

I swapped out the halogen H7’s for LED units (all 3 in each headlamp assembly) and now my fogs don’t work, (fogs are DRL’s). I had previously had LED’s only in the fogs and everything worked fine. Now I have a really low beam, low beam and high beam, but fogs don’t work. What’s going on?

CaracasBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 03:30 PM   #2

Ensure that the connectors are fully seated. When you take the headlight out the connectors can shift.

Take out the light again, ensure that the male connector on the harness is seated and stable, and reinstall.
Sand blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 11:09 PM   #3
FoFoJoe

Garage
Hey I was actually about to make a similar post on my own issue after installing LED headlights.

In my case, I installed H7 LED bulbs in the low beams, and swapped the factory parking light in the headlight for an LED bulb as well. High beams and fogs were untouched.

Here is a video of my symptoms. Are yours similar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21uzmrdZk-k

The video explains it best, but I can answer any questions if you have any.

I spoke with my local Porsche/Euro indy today as well when I dropped off my Boxster to get the rear tires swapped.

He was thinking it's a turn signal switch/stalk issue, or possibly the clock spring. He was leaning towards the turn signal switch due to the buzzing noise from the steering column area when my fog lights are activated (as heard in the video). We discussed it possibly being a headlight switch issue, but he noted that my headlights still activate just fine, so it's probably not the headlight switch. He said on some older euro cars the factory fog lights receive power through the turn signal circuit, which could explain why my fog lights flash with the turn signals.

He also thought it could be an issue with the turn signal relay. My rear turn signals work just fine so I don't believe that's the issue but I'm keeping it in mind.

Note, in discussing the issue we mostly ruled out the clock spring because the turn signals are still switching off with the wheel rotation. But I have researched how to replace it still to get a view of how to disassemble the other parts on the steering column as I am guessing the issue is somewhere in there.

So in my mind it's either the turn signal switch/stalk, clock spring, headlight switch, or turn signal relay.

I have been researching the issue and here is what I have found so far.

Turn signal Switch replacement

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/589406-clock-spring-tab-repair-here-s-how.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hux78ZoPcAI

Onto the parts I have found. I have not bought anything yet. Here are some screenshots for reference from a parts catalog I have for the 1997-2004 Boxster. Note, on my 2.7L Base I do not have the bottom left switch that goes to the car computer. I believe only the S and 996 models have this.

I am still researching the issue, but I hope any of the information can be helpful for you.
- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #4

This is interesting. I haven’t played with LED H7 bulbs but I do have the buzzing sound you have when I turn on my fog lights. I had a broken clock spring tab and replaced it with one that has 4 arms (as I upgraded/enabled the car computer). My directional work find and my instrument cluster works properly too. One of my fog light bulbs is out so I’ll start to dig into this too.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:05 PM   #5
FoFoJoe

Garage
I don't remember a buzzing sound when it all worked, but is your buzzing sound as loud as mine in the video?

If mine was buzzing before, it definitely wasn't that loud.

Also where did you source your clock spring replacement? Any write ups that you found?
What symptom led you to replace it?
- FunctionFirst shift knob/short shift kit
- Focal speakers/Alpine amp/Kenwood deck/Pioneer 8" subs
FoFoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 10:00 PM   #6

So I focused on my headlights this weekend. I had the same sound when turning on the fog lights. I pulled relay 24, took the cover off and sprayed it with contact cleaner and the buzzing is gone. To answer your other question I bought a 4 stock from eBay and wired it up based on info from the pelican book. I now can use the car computer.

Last edited by elav; 04-09-2022 at 05:35 PM. Reason: typo
elav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #7

I have swapped all my headlight (non-litronic) bulbs (high, low, and parking) for LEDs and have no issues.

I don't know much about the litronic system but with other halogen hid headlight systems there is a voltage by regulator that steps up the 12v to a huge voltage (20000v+) for ignition and then a constant 85v to keep them on. Run that through a standard 12v led and they would definitely buzz (if not explode) from the over-voltage.

Also, all these bulbs (at least in mine) share a common ground. So if you're running 85v through your headlight, most of that will make it to your ground. Then turn on your fog lights, which are going to get a standard 12v through the hot side, and your ground will have a higher voltage. Thus, current may actually flow in the opposite direction and the majority of LEDs require correct polarity to operate (canbus friendly LEDs have a control chip to run regardless of how they are plugged in). I would NOT simply flip the fog light around though because when you activate them and the bulb lights up, it may actually send 85v back to the voltage supply and dry it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 04-05-2022 at 10:59 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote