Thread: LED Bulbs
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 10:55 AM   #7
ike84

I have swapped all my headlight (non-litronic) bulbs (high, low, and parking) for LEDs and have no issues.

I don't know much about the litronic system but with other halogen hid headlight systems there is a voltage by regulator that steps up the 12v to a huge voltage (20000v+) for ignition and then a constant 85v to keep them on. Run that through a standard 12v led and they would definitely buzz (if not explode) from the over-voltage.

Also, all these bulbs (at least in mine) share a common ground. So if you're running 85v through your headlight, most of that will make it to your ground. Then turn on your fog lights, which are going to get a standard 12v through the hot side, and your ground will have a higher voltage. Thus, current may actually flow in the opposite direction and the majority of LEDs require correct polarity to operate (canbus friendly LEDs have a control chip to run regardless of how they are plugged in). I would NOT simply flip the fog light around though because when you activate them and the bulb lights up, it may actually send 85v back to the voltage supply and dry it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ike84; 04-05-2022 at 10:59 AM.
ike84 is offline   Reply With Quote