Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2021, 05:26 AM   #1

Odd problem with my 2001 986 base

My Boxster wouldn't start this morning. Been about 10 days since I drove it last. front hood opens electronically no problem. When the ignition key is turned, there is clicking, and lights on dash and radio working, but engine won't start. Windows going up and down a small amount (as if I was going to lower the roof). I try to jump it, and same result, but now airbag light is on, high beam indicator is on and seat belt interior beeping is chirping constantly. Even with the key removed from ignition. Help please! Any ideas on what to do??

woody3260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #2

Your battery has gone bad.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:07 AM   #3

@JFP in PA - thanks. Would you have any experience with using AAA service to come and replace the battery? The car is dead in my garage, so I was thinking of calling them.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #4

Yes, but with one major caveat: I would highly recommend replacing your battery with a new AGM type battery. AAA may not do that. As taking out and replacing the battery is very simple, you might consider doing it yourself.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:28 AM   #5

@JFP in PA - AAA was just here and said the same exact thing as you - so thanks. He got the car to start, but the battery is bad he said. Needs replacing. He offered to replace it, but recommended I use an AGM battery and he didn't have one. So I let the car run for a bit, and shut it off, and it starts back up again. But so weird, when I turn it off, the seat belt beeping starts again, and I have lost the clock the digital speedometer readouts, and the high beam indicator light on the dash stays on no matter what.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:57 AM   #6

That happens when the battery is toast and needs replacing.

Pull yours out, go to your local AutoZone or whatever, and get an AGM replacement. Your car will thank you.
Old 11-02-2021, 12:34 PM   #7

And usually w/ a number of the national chain parts stores... if you register your email address online you'll immediately receive a coupon good for 10-25% off on your first BOPIS (buy online pick-up in store) purchase.

Otherwise, you can buy quality AGM batteries at local Costco & Sam Clubs w/ equal or better warranty for less.

Good luck
Old 11-02-2021, 01:14 PM   #8

So why AGM? Is that a Boxster-specific recommendation or just a good idea for all cars?
Old 11-02-2021, 01:17 PM   #9

I've found that many of the new "charged" batteries at the big box stores, still need a charge.

If you are planning on keeping your car then spend the money to buy a good battery from your local auto shop. Chances are they'll install it for free, make sure it's fully charged and stand behind it.

Then I'd buy a good battery maintainer (not just a trickle charger) for about $30, and keep it plugged into the battery when you're not using the car.....typically they help extend the life of your battery.

At least you know what's wrong and in the "big picture" of Porsche ownership got off "easy".
Old 11-02-2021, 01:35 PM   #10

@clickman - An AGM battery, as I learned today, is just basically a more sophisticated, upgraded battery than standard car batteries. From Google: "AGM or Absorbent Glass Mat is an advanced lead-acid battery that provides superior power to support the higher electrical demands of today's vehicles and start-stop applications. AGM batteries are extremely resistant to vibration, are totally sealed, nonspillable and maintenance-free. I guess the thought is, these are Porsches, so why not put in a better, more advanced battery."

I got one at Napa this afternoon, and I plan to install it tonight. Fingers crossed the car returns to normal afterwards.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:48 PM   #11

You will have to reenter your radio's code, and probably reset your windows, but otherwise it should be fine.
Old 11-02-2021, 01:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
So why AGM? Is that a Boxster-specific recommendation or just a good idea for all cars?
AGM batteries are sealed, so no corrosion, longer lived, and much more vibration resistant than common flooded cell batteries.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:12 PM   #13

@JFP in PA - Just installed it. Took me literally less than 10 mins. The car is completely back to normal. In fact, it started up much quicker and stronger than before. I guess the old battery was slowly dying without me realizing it.

Thank you very much for the advice. You saved me a trip to a mechanic which would have cost hundreds more. I love this forum. Have a fantastic night everyone.

:dance::dance::dance::dance:
Old 11-02-2021, 02:15 PM   #14

One more question - would a brand new AGM battery require a trickle charger this winter for longer periods of time when the car isn't driven?
Old 11-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #15

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody3260 View Post
One more question - would a brand new AGM battery require a trickle charger this winter for longer periods of time when the car isn't driven?
YES! Don't cheap out on a junk tickle charge, buy a quality maintainer like the Ctek units, your new battery will thank you by living years longer.

Amazon and others sell them.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #16

Agreed!....as I wrote in my previous reply:

Quote:
"Then I'd buy a good battery maintainer (not just a trickle charger) for about $30, and keep it plugged into the battery when you're not using the car.....typically they help extend the life of your battery."
Old 11-04-2021, 08:04 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob175 View Post
Agreed!....as I wrote in my previous reply:
A "good" maintainer, one with de-sulfation steps in every charge profile and a specific charging profile for AGM batteries, is going to cost a bit more than $30.........
Old 11-04-2021, 08:24 AM   #18

Thanks to everyone who responded!

I added this tender to my Xmas list. Wife is always looking for stuff like this to get me for Xmas. I figure with a brand new AGM battery, it will be fine until the end of the year without a charger.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CD44RQO/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B00CD44RQO&pd_rd_w=FXSPC&pf_rd_p=54ed5474-54a8-4c7f-a88a-45f748d18166&pd_rd_wg=56lwd&pf_rd_r=WHSJH80KY0HS9TZR3XB3&pd_rd_r=23f760f6-0a5d-48f2-8e6e-757f37e2a99f&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExM0s1Tkw3NFVHTjhYJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTM4MDgwMlI0Mk5UME9MOElBVyZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTI1Njk0Mk5EQjUwVklGRVZLVSZ3aWRnZ XROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2t SZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Old 11-04-2021, 08:45 AM   #19

You will be fine with that unit; has both a dedicated AGM profile and de-sulfation step in every charge profile. You may also ask Santa for the cigarette lighter adaptor for it; that way you can safely maintain the battery with the car locked and the alarm on.
Old 11-04-2021, 08:52 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You will be fine with that unit; has both a dedicated AGM profile and de-sulfation step in every charge profile. You may also ask Santa for the cigarette lighter adaptor for it; that way you can safely maintain the battery with the car locked and the alarm on.
Help me understand that better. Does one end of the charger plug into a standard wall electrical outlet, and the other is attached directly the battery? If yes, how does a cig lighter in the car come into the picture?