Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #21

These cars were designed to use a maintainer plugged into the cig lighter socket, which remains hot at all times, even when the car is locked up. The driver's door area at the bottom below the outside rear view mirror has a recess in it to allow the cord from the lighter socket to pass thru when the door is closed and locked. A lot of owners use their garage door opener plug to power the maintainer, and if an extension cord is needed between the lighter plug adaptor and the maintainer, Ctek/Amazon sells them as well. This keeps the cords and the maintainer out of the way when walking around the parked vehicle, and allows a car cover to be used as well.

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-04-2021 at 09:18 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:04 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
These cars were designed to use a maintainer plugged into the cig lighter socket, which remains hot at all times, even when the car is locked up. The driver's door area at the bottom below the outside rear view mirror has a recess in it to allow the cord from the lighter socket to pass thru when the door is closed and locked. A lot of owners use their garage door opener plug to power the maintainer, and if an extension cord is needed between the lighter plug adaptor and the maintainer, Ctek/Amazon sells them as well. This keeps the cords and the maintainer out of the way when walking around the parked vehicle, and allows a car cover to be used as well.

Brilliant. I didn't know that either. Thank you.
woody3260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 09:18 AM   #23

Last edited by JFP in PA; 11-04-2021 at 09:33 AM.
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 01:51 AM   #24

My 2001 2.7L eat batteries, about once every 18 months, after a few years I had a warning light and when the garage checked the output from the alternator was low.

After changing the alternator, even an old battery that appeared to be on the way out lasted another 2.5 years. Basically the current draw when standing still is quite high and unless you use your Boxster frequently the battery discharges.

If I leave it and go on holiday the battery will last about 4 to 5 weeks, so bought a solar panel which helps, keep a bit of charge in the battery. My car sits on the drive and so not really practical to leave plugged in to a Ctek charger.

During lockdown last year I did buy a Ctek Battery Sense monitor, these just connect to the battery and use Bluetooth to your phone, it gives graphs of voltage, battery charge state and temperature, so you can see when it is getting down.

I got a second one for my other car when that failed to start one morning.

Finally, I bought a jump start battery, it will go in a glove box, but mine is higher capacity than most, you just clip it on the battery or terminals inside the cabin and it will open the front and jump start the car.

DrRobin is offline   Reply With Quote