Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #1

Garage
Code P0103

After cleaning the MAF and checking all vacuum lines seamed to cure the no idle issue and the car 2001 S starts idles and seems to have good throttle response. Yet I am still pulling a P0103 Code I have not had the chance to drive the car yet, my question is, will this code clear with driving and time? or should I consider a new MAF? I just bought the car and it had many issues due to lack of maintainece I am thinking it was not driven much and left outside to the elements.

Thank you

Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:41 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
After cleaning the MAF and checking all vacuum lines seamed to cure the no idle issue and the car 2001 S starts idles and seems to have good throttle response. Yet I am still pulling a P0103 Code I have not had the chance to drive the car yet, my question is, will this code clear with driving and time? or should I consider a new MAF? I just bought the car and it had many issues due to lack of maintainece I am thinking it was not driven much and left outside to the elements.

Thank you
It would be better if you clear the code with a scanner.
That way if the MAF is still an issue that code will come back.
If you clear the code and it does not return then your MAF is ok.
Any scanner that can read that code should be able to clear it.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #3

Garage
I am using a xtool 100 pro2 and it would not clear the code, It did give me the option but it would not clear, I am wondering if I might have an issue with the tool?
Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race View Post
I am using a xtool 100 pro2 and it would not clear the code, It did give me the option but it would not clear, I am wondering if I might have an issue with the tool?
Go to an auto parts store ( like O'reilly's) that scans codes see if they can clear it.
If it will not stay cleared then you have an issue with the MAF or the wiring from the MAF to the DME/ECU

Last edited by blue62; 08-15-2021 at 05:31 PM.
blue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 04:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Go to an auto parts store ( like O'reilly's) that scans codes see if they can clear it.
Not sure if it's local to here or national, but the parts stores in OMA won't clear codes for you anymore. They just read them for you. I imagine there's probably some sort of liability issue with them clearing the codes.

A decent inexpensive reader costs $70. I have a Bosch that does quite well with reading & deleting codes. If you don't want to go that route, you can disconnect the battery (DON'T CLOSE THE HOOD!) for a few days and the ECU will go back to base settings w/ no codes.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:35 AM   #6

make sure you are clearing it correctly also. Key in the On position (engine not running). clear code. turn key off then start car. code should be cleared. If it isn't that means the code set it self again.

Get a BT reader from amazon, runs about $25 & use Torque.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 07:42 AM   #7

As MAF codes generally clear themselves once the fault that triggered the code is repaired, you may be overlooking the obvious: P0103 is the code typically caused by a wiring issue, which has not been mentioned as having been identified or repaired. If the problem is still there, so will the code be.......