Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #41

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
One thing I think that is overlooked in these discussions is the fact that our cars hold twice as much oil as US cars that recommend 5000 to 7500 mile oil changes for normal service.

Our motors are smaller than V8s, run cleaner, and have twice as much oil, so the additives last longer.
Yes, the sump is bigger and that does make a difference. I question why you think our motors run "cleaner"!!!. Why do you say that?

My BMW has a 7 qt sump and the mileage minder never exceeds 11K miles or so.

I am still doubting 20K and moreover, why would you risk premature wear to prove the factory correct?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 PM   #42
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
BTW for all you 3000 mile oil change believers, do you change your brake fluid every 2 years like Porsche recommends?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:20 PM   #43
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I change my oil about once a year which is usually 9,000 to 14,000 miles. My owner's manual states 15,000 miles. My average trip in the car is always over 20 miles and includes many 500+ mile trips each year.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:32 PM   #44

7,500 for me...yep, the glass is half empty.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #45

Break-in Period Confusion

Last month I picked up an `07 Boxster. I'd driven it at one dealer and had it transfered to another dealer for the actual purchase. Being a Porsche virgin I'd been reading these forums to come up to speed on what kind of care and feeding was required. I'd read a post lamenting the fact that the Boxster manual recommended 4.2K max on the tach for the first 2K miles.

In an effort to clarify the situation, I asked both sales people what was the "dealer's recommendation" on the break-in period. "There isn't any" came spouting out of both mouths. I challenged them with the 4.2K limit and they said, "nah, that's bogus", but they couldn't provided any sound justification for their remarks.

I decided to lightfoot the puppy til I could read through the manual myself. Sure enough, my `07 manual gives the 4.2K for 2K recommendation. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I've just tried to knock out the 2K miles as fast as possible; 1710 mi and counting. It's a bit like buying a candy bar and having to carry it around with you for a month or two before you can eat it.

It's interest to see all the opinions tossed around here, it would be nice if a real Porsche tech rep could be coaxed into explaining the break-in period and the oil change interval.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:07 PM   #46
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre_oh
I decided to lightfoot the puppy til I could read through the manual myself. Sure enough, my `07 manual gives the 4.2K for 2K recommendation. I'd rather be safe than sorry so I've just tried to knock out the 2K miles as fast as possible; 1710 mi and counting. It's a bit like buying a candy bar and having to carry it around with you for a month or two before you can eat it.

It's interest to see all the opinions tossed around here, it would be nice if a real Porsche tech rep could be coaxed into explaining the break-in period and the oil change interval.
Good job, Tre_oh! You are doing the right thing, IMHO. Only a couple hundred miles to go. I did the same you did, drove as many miles I could, as soon as possible, to complete the break-in process.

If you plan on keeping your car, long term, I would also recommend an oil change now. Well worth the $100-200 for the piece-of-mind. I did my first oil change at about 1,200 miles and again just prior to winter storage.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by tre_oh
Last month I picked up an `07 Boxster... In an effort to clarify the situation, I asked both sales people what was the "dealer's recommendation" on the break-in period. "There isn't any" came spouting out of both mouths. I challenged them with the 4.2K limit and they said, "nah, that's bogus", but they couldn't provided any sound justification for their remarks... It's interest to see all the opinions tossed around here, it would be nice if a real Porsche tech rep could be coaxed into explaining the break-in period and the oil change interval...
Hi,

Why? Just like the Salesmen, they drive Hondas. And, they're not gonna stand behind you if their advice is wrong. There are several opinions here which I'd value just as highly, if not more so, than many of the Porsche Techs I've met. Good Luck with the new ride...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:38 PM   #48

The Honda manual actually specifies a break in period and methodology. Does the 987 manual?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #49

`07 Manual Page on Break-in Period

The manual has a single page entitled "Break in hints for the first 2000 miles" (p. 19). It's too tedious to reproduce it all here. Quoting some of the key points as follows:

"This wearing-in occurs mainly in the first 2000 miles"
"Preferably take longer trips"
"Avoid full throttle starts and abrupt stops"
"Do not exceed maximum engine speed of 4200 rpm"
"Do not run a cold engine at high rpm either in Neutral or in gear"
"Do not let the engine labor, especially when driving uphill. Shift to the next lower gear in time"
"Never lug the engine in high gear at low speeds. This rule applies at all times, not just during the break-in period"
etc....
Old 01-05-2007, 06:11 PM   #50

Tre-Oh - How high did you rev it out during your "test drive"

Back in the days of aircooled 911s, the motors were run on a dyno for break in. I believe Porsche still said in the manual there is a break in period but, cmon, if its run on a dyno to red line at the factory, I think its fine.

That said, I have no idea how Porsche prepares/tests the new motors before they are installed. You can't do any harm by actually following the owners manual. So be patient. And enjoy
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Tre-Oh - How high did you rev it out during your "test drive"

Back in the days of aircooled 911s, the motors were run on a dyno for break in. I believe Porsche still said in the manual there is a break in period but, cmon, if its run on a dyno to red line at the factory, I think its fine.

That said, I have no idea how Porsche prepares/tests the new motors before they are installed. You can't do any harm by actually following the owners manual. So be patient. And enjoy
Hi,

I remember when Porsche did that. But, as you know, there's more to the break-in than just the motor. Synchros, CWP, Wheel Bearings, Ancillary Bearings, even the Rotors, Pads and Tires break-in and establish wear patterns. Observing the recommended Break-in procedure and schedule insures all of these bed-in properly for long service life...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #52

I followed Brucelee's advice because it made the most sense. I religiously followed the break in period and changed the oil at 1500 miles. I change the oil regularly at 7500 miles. Might be overkill, but I want to take care of my engine for the long term for me or for the next buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Generally speaking, your dealer is an idiot.

I do like the 1000 mile change idea IF you intend to keep this car for beyond the warranty period.

Otherwise, don't bother.

And change your oil at 7500 intervals IMHO.

Find another dealer if this is indicative of what they know. The "hard break in" theory is nonsense.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 01:43 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Not to put too fine a point on it but M1 never said that it's 0W-40 oil is good for 20K miles. They tell folks to follow their manufacturer's recomendations.

Of course, that way, they are off the hook, as it is Porsche's recommendation.

It IS notable that for its PREMIUM oils, ie the ones that are more expensive than 0-40, they say you can go to 15K MAX.

Again, if you really want to drive around with oil that is OBJECTIVELY shot for say another 8K miles, hey, more power to you.

If you you don't buy my line of reasoning, spend a few bucks and send a sample of that 20K oil to Blackstone.

You may get some religion!
It seems to me that oil change intervals are something that nearly everyone has a fairly strong opinion on, but little data. I did at least send a sample of 9k Redline from my WRX to be analyzed, and everything was fine. I don't have those results here, but brucelee, do you remember what it was that was making the oils you mention in this post and others "shot"? Was it TBN, PH, metal contamination, or? I have always been interested in lubricants, and spent most of the last 30 years living in temps down to 60 below, in which conditions they can be critical. TIA, Alan.

PS BTW, has anyone sent any of the 20k oils in for analysis, I'd love to know the results...
zemmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:53 PM   #54

This may be a tad off topic but does Porsche still say their coolant is a lifetime antifreeze? If so, I don't buy it, just like I don't buy Mobil 1 should go 20k miles. Additives break down and contaminants build up.

Another example from another manufacturer is Volvo says their ATF is a lifetime fluid and the only maintenance required is visual inspection. Give me a break, everyone who knows Volvos knows the documented transmission failures and they know it is important to flush the ATF. With regular flushes (at least every 50k, ideally 30k) the Volvo transmissions last a long time (speaking of Mobil 3309/Volvo 3309 ATF here).

I guess my point is don't just blindly follow the manufacturer's suggestions, take it with a grain of salt (as most of the manufacturers own mechanics probably do), and look for other advice, if you study it you may find that there are better products and better advice out there (such as in the case of the Volvo ATF needing regular flushing).
saaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 05:51 AM   #55
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by saaber
This may be a tad off topic but does Porsche still say their coolant is a lifetime antifreeze? If so, I don't buy it, just like I don't buy Mobil 1 should go 20k miles. Additives break down and contaminants build up.

Another example from another manufacturer is Volvo says their ATF is a lifetime fluid and the only maintenance required is visual inspection. Give me a break, everyone who knows Volvos knows the documented transmission failures and they know it is important to flush the ATF. With regular flushes (at least every 50k, ideally 30k) the Volvo transmissions last a long time (speaking of Mobil 3309/Volvo 3309 ATF here).

I guess my point is don't just blindly follow the manufacturer's suggestions, take it with a grain of salt (as most of the manufacturers own mechanics probably do), and look for other advice, if you study it you may find that there are better products and better advice out there (such as in the case of the Volvo ATF needing regular flushing).
Saaber, most recommendations that I have read say the coolant should be changed at the 5-year mark.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #56

For my Z4 I followed the 1200 mile break-in procedure religiously. There's more than just engine parts that have to get acclimated to use as someone said in this thread.

I plan on doing exactly as Porsche recommends (break-in wise), though my oil is getting changed at 7,500 namely due to my environment and driving habits.
sp330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 AM   #57
1JB

I followed the break in period as well but I don't believe Porsche specifies one for their cars sold in Europe? I think there's a good argument to be made that the break in period for NA is more for the driver to get used to the car than for the car. I still manage to scare the beejeezus out of myself with this car every so often.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 01:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Saaber, most recommendations that I have read say the coolant should be changed at the 5-year mark.
I would say 2 years max personally but I have also seen the 5 year rec. Here is what the Porsche website says

saaber is offline   Reply With Quote