Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2006, 02:39 PM   #1

Unhappy The Hidden Cost of Mods

So, I was minding my own business when I went to the college post office to drop off a CD player I just sold to fellow in NY. I have been selling some of my stereo gear to support the mods I have been doing to my 2000 Boxster. At the post office I saw that they had a large box waiting for me with my Dansk muffler I had just ordered from one of our sponsors in it.

Now, I could have waited until tomorrow to arrange to use the family car, but I figured it was 47 degrees out, that should be fine if I carefully took the top down, I could then put the large box in the front seat. I was wrong, I just started to take the top down and got out to carefully do the "carefully fold the plastic window thing" when crack, the 6-year old plastic window presented me with a nice crack right in the middle of the window. I was quite suprised as it did not seem that cold out.

I have always been very nice to the plastic rear window, keeping it polished, carefully taking the top down. Also the rest of the top is in very good shape, I was hoping to go years without thinking about a replacement. Oh well, it is a nice shinny muffler......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:46 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Bummer....I've been stupid enough a couple of times to drop my top at around 35 degrees outside after a long day of work,I guess I just got lucky.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #3

Ed, if you decide to go the route of just replacing the clear vinyl, consider strataglass: http://www.strataglass.com . There's a poster in another board who's in the boat business who can get a sheet of strataglass for about $30 plus shipping. He has a 40 mil thick piece on his Boxster and it looks promising. I would try this if my fabric didn't look as ratty as it does.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
So, I was minding my own business when I went to the college post office to drop off a CD player I just sold to fellow in NY. I have been selling some of my stereo gear to support the mods I have been doing to my 2000 Boxster. At the post office I saw that they had a large box waiting for me with my Dansk muffler I had just ordered from one of our sponsors in it.

Now, I could have waited until tomorrow to arrange to use the family car, but I figured it was 47 degrees out, that should be fine if I carefully took the top down, I could then put the large box in the front seat. I was wrong, I just started to take the top down and got out to carefully do the "carefully fold the plastic window thing" when crack, the 6-year old plastic window presented me with a nice crack right in the middle of the window. I was quite suprised as it did not seem that cold out.

I have always been very nice to the plastic rear window, keeping it polished, carefully taking the top down. Also the rest of the top is in very good shape, I was hoping to go years without thinking about a replacement. Oh well, it is a nice shinny muffler......

Ed

Sorry to hear about the window crack. I've put my top down a couple of times before even in the 30s, and no crack. I never chop the rear window, unless I see that the window is folding badly (which doesn't happen often because after the window folds down a certain way, it usually remembers how to fold the next time you put the window down). I think chopping can actually put more stress on the window and end up cracking it when it would've have if you had just let it go down on it's own.

Good thing is you can now have the choice of putting in a glass window (gahh.com) if you want, and never have to deal with the chop or worrying about putting window down in cold weather anymore.

Hope you enjoy the dansk exhaust.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 03:58 PM   #5

Sorry to hear about your window. That sucks.

I'm betting you never thought of taking the muffler out of the box. It would have fit nicely in the rear trunk of the box or the front seat with the top up. I've transported two mufflers at the same time without boxes this way.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #6

Ed,

You won't want a rear window anyway when the Dansk is in - you want to HEAR it!

Sorry about it, seriously...

2005 Boxster S - Atlas Grey/Black, PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose
2006 Infiniti M35 Sport
2007 Cadillac Escalade (tow vehicle with bling)

'00 Boxster - 2.7l w/FVD ECU tuning, Moton double adjustable suspension, custom stainless headers, lightweight flywheel, dual Magnaflow mufflers, 18" CCR wheels, 911 front brakes in front, Boxster front brakes in rear, full welded cage.

http://www.epiqautosport.com/images/epiqtoddavatar2.jpg
EPIQTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #7

"I'm betting you never thought of taking the muffler out of the box. It would have fit nicely in the rear trunk of the box or the front seat with the top up. I've transported two mufflers at the same time without boxes this way."

Now you tell me......

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 11-07-2006, 05:57 PM   #8

Hi,

Sorry about your predicament. From all the hoopla we've been hearing lately, if only you'd have bought Che's magical muffler instead of the tried and true Dansk unit, your rear window would have magically been able to withstand subzero temps without the slightest possibility of cracking!

I am truly sorry, perhaps, and hopefully, the strataglass guys can help you out! I surely hope so...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:04 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to subgraphic
"what is ahh behind you is ahhhh not ah important!" - Raul Julia as Franco Bertollini from the gumball rally
subgraphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:55 AM   #10

"Ed, if you decide to go the route of just replacing the clear vinyl, consider strataglass: http://www.strataglass.com . There's a poster in another board who's in the boat business who can get a sheet of strataglass for about $30 plus shipping. He has a 40 mil thick piece on his Boxster and it looks promising. I would try this if my fabric didn't look as ratty as it does."

The Strataglass sounds interesting, how does one get it installed?

Ed

Old 11-08-2006, 03:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

Sorry about your predicament. From all the hoopla we've been hearing lately, if only you'd have bought Che's magical muffler instead of the tried and true Dansk unit, your rear window would have magically been able to withstand subzero temps without the slightest possibility of cracking!

I am truly sorry, perhaps, and hopefully, the strataglass guys can help you out! I surely hope so...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
Jim,
Where did that come from? What do you have against Che? He has remained polite and respectful even after being bashed over and over. Just for the record, his exhaust is magical. I was promised the power of flight..........................
Old 11-08-2006, 07:50 AM   #12

Ed,
Below is the post from www.ppbb.com for a possible source of the strataglass. Searching this forum and www.renntech.org, you can find posts where Boxsters owners found a upholsterer or a top installer willing and able to install the window. Off the top of my head, it seems that range for the installation is $300 to $600 dollars. Sadly, not cheap but cheaper than a new top and installation.

================================================== ======
Robert Grindle
Rear Window Plastic
11/03/06 08:06 PM

Now that I have new front glass thought I would post a suggestion regarding the rear plastic window. Six months ago I had a new window installed by an interior restoration upholster. I have a boat canvas business and use strataglass in all my boat windows. I supplied the installer a piece of that glass for my Boxster.
This is the regular 40 guage window but has a scratch resistant coating to both sides and also is suppose to block 99% of the uv rays. You can actualy poor lacquer thinner or acetone on the window and it will not penetrate to the plastic. When installing in boat canvas I do not have to protect the window from dragging on the wood table as it will not be scratched by light dirt, etc.
Try the above two things with any other plastic window, it will be destroyed. You can check it out at strataglass.com. As it is only sold wholesale if anyone is interested let me know and I would be willing to send a piece to use.
A 109" X 54" sheet cost me about $150 including shipping to me. Did not check the exact size needed for an oem top but would think no more than $30 + cost of shipping.
http://i12.tinypic.com/47j53x1.jpg
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 09:35 AM   #13

"Below is the post from www.ppbb.com for a possible source of the strataglass. Searching this forum and www.renntech.org, you can find posts where Boxsters owners found a upholsterer or a top installer willing and able to install the window. Off the top of my head, it seems that range for the installation is $300 to $600 dollars. Sadly, not cheap but cheaper than a new top and installation."

Thanks for the info, I will consider it, but it looks like there is going to be a lot of top-down driving for me, at least for the near future.

Ed