Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #1

Headlight electrical connectors

Howdy folks,

I was hoping for some assistance on my headlight retrofit project. I'm installing retrofitlab projectors and shrouds into some "ebay specials" spare headlights I bought just for this project.

I managed to get the headlights open and remove the old burned lenses and lamp housing on both lights without difficulty. I was prepared for it to be more difficult but I recall watching some videos and that helped a lot.

The issue I am having is the wiring inside the old headlights is shot. I know some have used liquid electrical tape stuff to seal the old wiring but I honestly think mine is too far gone and I would feel more comfortable just rewiring it. I removed all the wiring and it's not a big deal...except for getting new pins for the connector. What I am looking for is pins that go into this connector on the headlight side of things. The pins are male.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99965283240.htm?pn=999-652-832-40-OEM&SVSVSI=1048&fs=0

Porsche sells the connector to go into the car side connector (female) as these:

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99965287122.htm?pn=999-652-871-22-M100

But I can't seem to locate a Porsche part number for the male/headlight side connector.

Scouring the interwebs has led me to this connector:

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-962842-1.html

But no one seems to stock it that I can find.

Any suggestions or if possible if there is a part number that exists?

Pictures of my connector below.

Thanks

dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 01:44 PM   #2

What I usually do for stuff like this is try to use the original. You should be able to use a very small flat screwdriver, pick, snipes to uncrimp the end of the wire. then when you put in the new wire, crimp it back...but also go ahead and solder it in. The solder will hold the wire in place in addition to the crimps. Done this on many 944's & other older cars.

Porsche will usually use TE for their connectors/pins With that said, Mouser does have these in stock: https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=962842

Loose part: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2-962842-1-Loose-Piece?qs=u4fy%2FsgLU9M4ir46pBsb1A%3D%3D

When looking for things like this you have to understand that one part number might be for reels and some might be for individual. Reels are what are used in the mfg process by machines.
2002 996 (SOLD)
1986 944 (gone but missed)
Stl-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 02:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
What I usually do for stuff like this is try to use the original. You should be able to use a very small flat screwdriver, pick, snipes to uncrimp the end of the wire. then when you put in the new wire, crimp it back...but also go ahead and solder it in. The solder will hold the wire in place in addition to the crimps. Done this on many 944's & other older cars.

Porsche will usually use TE for their connectors/pins With that said, Mouser does have these in stock: https://www.mouser.com/Search/Refine?Keyword=962842

Loose part: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/2-962842-1-Loose-Piece?qs=u4fy%2FsgLU9M4ir46pBsb1A%3D%3D

When looking for things like this you have to understand that one part number might be for reels and some might be for individual. Reels are what are used in the mfg process by machines.
This is very helpful, thank you. I have purchased plenty of stuff from Mouser over the years. No idea why my many searches never pointed me to that one on Mouser. So I thank you.

I might just give it a shot to reuse the crimp connectors. Earlier I did watch some guy uncrimp a spade connector and it worked but it looked like it might have weakened the metal as they are pretty thin, but adding the solder would strengthen it enough.
Old 07-05-2021, 05:50 PM   #4

Just go slow & take your time. Worse case you can get some new ones.
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #5

New connectors are a great idea. I found that McMaster Carr sells clear flexible heat shrink tubing which I used a lot of on my headlight project, along with heat shrink butt connectors with solder in them.
Former: 2003 S, 3.6 LN Nickies, ARP rod bolts, under-drive pulley, Fabspeed sport headers, Softronic tune, 987 airbox 987 motor mount, Function-First Sport motor mount insert, Ben's short shifter, Nine8Six projector headlights & center caps, ROW M030, stainless flexible brake lines, B-K rollbar extension & fire extinguisher mount, hardtop
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 08:08 AM   #6

Thanks for the help guys. Rewired both donor headlights for the bi-xenon conversion using new connectors. I had one extra donor headlight from 98 (I think) and found that it used different pins in the plug. But I wasn't using that one anyway so it didn't matter.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:39 PM   #7

were those the right pins?
2002 996 (SOLD)
Old 07-19-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stl-986 View Post
were those the right pins?
They were identical to the originals. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-23-2023, 05:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsallean View Post
They were identical to the originals. Thanks for the help.
dsallean - sorry, I realize this is an old thread. I'm going through a similar rewiring process now with my litronics. Other than the TE pins listed, did you replace any of the other pins and connectors or did you simply reuse them? If you replaced any of the other pins/connectors is there any chance you still have the part numbers?

Thanks,
Jeff
jstoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 06:44 AM   #10

This is great! I wish I had the pin part number a week ago. I was splicing and shrink wrapping. I have another one to rebuild so I will definitely make a new harness.
wiebuschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstoddard View Post
dsallean - sorry, I realize this is an old thread. I'm going through a similar rewiring process now with my litronics. Other than the TE pins listed, did you replace any of the other pins and connectors or did you simply reuse them? If you replaced any of the other pins/connectors is there any chance you still have the part numbers?

Thanks,
Jeff
I did buy some of the other connectors, and reused some as it wasn't too difficult to remove the old wiring. I will go look and see if I have any other part numbers.

I did see recently that someone sells a wiring kit to replace the internal wiring in the headlights. That wasn't available, or at least I wasn't able to find it at the time I did mine. Honestly not a hard job once you get the headlights open.

I would post a link to the headlight wiring but it would get removed by the admin anyway. A search on the web for the internal headlight wiring harness will get you there.

Dave

Last edited by dsallean; 04-24-2023 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-24-2023, 11:23 AM   #12

Here are some other part numbers that I used.
Old 04-25-2023, 04:22 PM   #13

Thanks so much dsallean! I de-pinned everything today and will order the parts - I appreciate the help. One last question - did you start with Litronic or Halogen lights? I'm rewiring Litronics and apparently the parking/city bulb is H6W and the Halogen is W5W (I think). Did you replace or reuse the parking light receptacle? If you replaced, any pointers on where I could find that? If you reused did you just pry open the connector?

I did see the replacement harness from Adrian lights but he says that it is only for Halogen lights. I did see a reference to him working on a Litronic version but have not been able to get an answer from him

Thanks, Jeff
Old 04-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #14

Jeff,

Sorry for the delay I was traveling. I started with Halogen lights. I replaced the parking light receptacle. I scoured the webs for the correct replacement using the markings on the original. I finally did locate some which were supposed to be correct (and I can't find records of where). They looked correct but were not. They were way too tight and honestly didn't fit very well. I went with them anyways and sorta forced them to fit and one fell out and I only noticed while walking in front of the car one day. They are both still in now but I would have been better off just reusing the originals. Or finding proper replacements.

Hope this helps.

Dave
Old 04-28-2023, 03:53 PM   #15

Thanks Dave - I appreciate the help again. I'm having no luck with the H6W litronic parking light receptacle. The wire insulation has fallen off right up to the crimp in the receptacle, so I will try to pull the connectors out and re-use. I've had no luck even getting close to finding one of these. It is interesting to note that adrian lights (the guy making the halogen wiring harness) offers a version without the parking light, so that could be another option to just not wire it in.

Thanks, Jeff