Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2006, 02:23 PM   #1

Carrera-S and 2.7L Boxster

Beautful fall day here in Virginia, temp in the 70's, sunny, leaves are changing, great stuff. I had to do go to Richmond, about a 70 mile drive from home, of course with top down, I was loving it. On the way to town I noticed a beautful black Carrera-S convertible also with the top down come up from behind me. We both waved and had these big smiles on our faces.

I followed him for several miles through town and was hoping he was going the same way I was onto the onramp to the highway. Sure enough he was. This is one of my favorite onramps that I take and use the excuse of merging into the traffic to run through the gears. As I followed the Carrera S I could tell he had the same idea. I was in second gear at 4000 rpm, right at the start of the powerband in my little 2.7L Boxster. At the end of the onramp we both stepped on it.

I could tell he was going hard as I could see smoke blowing hard out of his 4 tail pipes and could hear him agressively shifting. My dyno runs show I am making peak HP (about 200) at 6500 rpm (falls off noticably above that), which is where I was throwing my shifts. When we started I was about 5-6 car lengths behind him. When I stopped accererating at somewhat over 100 mph, he had only gained about 2 car lenghts, but I could tell he was still slowly wideing the gap between us.

There was little or no traffic to contend with and our "merge into the traffic" was all over in less than 10 seconds, but I was impressed by how I could almost keep up with the more expensive car, great fun.

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:28 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
nice, about a month ago, on crenshaw blvd in torrance, a guy in a early 90's Carrera 4 S and I were stoped at a red light. Both of us side by side and up front of everyone else. He told me, I know you dont think you can beat me in that car. I said HAha, i know i cant beat you. Then the light turned green, he slammed on the gas, as did I and he was only able to pull away by 1 car length before we reached 60mph and stopped accelerating. It was a huge suprise to me and the driver of the C4S

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 02:59 PM   #3
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
I could tell he was going hard as I could see smoke blowing hard out of his 4 tail pipes and could hear him agressively shifting. My dyno runs show I am making peak HP (about 200) at 6500 rpm (falls off noticably above that), which is where I was throwing my shifts. When we started I was about 5-6 car lengths behind him. When I stopped accererating at somewhat over 100 mph, he had only gained about 2 car lenghts, but I could tell he was still slowly wideing the gap between us. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Is this normal? Should our cars be blowing smoke on hard acceleration? Or is the Carrera getting reaady to blow a motor?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Is this normal? Should our cars be blowing smoke on hard acceleration? Or is the Carrera getting reaady to blow a motor?

The C4S i raced puffed out some smoke between shifts from 1st into 2nd gear.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-31-2006, 03:19 PM   #5

I can't believe you were so irresponsible as to engage in such dangerous behaviour on public streets.... :dance:

(nice job, boys )

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:35 PM   #6

Read it again, CJ. He wasn't chastising you.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:37 PM   #7
Porscheectomy

Maximum power occurs at a relatively rich level. It's also common to use extra fuel to keep the engine cooler. Also, when going from a small throttle opening to full throttle, the cylinder mixture can run lean so the ECU compensates by injecting extra fuel. Under full throttle and heavy load, the car dumps alot of extra fuel into the cylinders. This is why most cars will puff some black smoke when accelerating hard. It's normal. If it's blue smoke, it's a different story.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Maximum power occurs at a relatively rich level. It's also common to use extra fuel to keep the engine cooler. Also, when going from a small throttle opening to full throttle, the cylinder mixture can run lean so the ECU compensates by injecting extra fuel. Under full throttle and heavy load, the car dumps alot of extra fuel into the cylinders. This is why most cars will puff some black smoke when accelerating hard. It's normal. If it's blue smoke, it's a different story.
Great, explaination, but, what if I see...say...green smoke? Should I call Ghostbusters!!!

Boooooo. Happy Holloween!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Read it again, CJ. He wasn't chastising you.

Opps haha, i didnt notice the (nice Job Boys) at the bottom haha.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
Old 10-31-2006, 04:08 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Great, explaination, but, what if I see...say...green smoke? Should I call Ghostbusters!!!

Boooooo. Happy Holloween!
Either that or it's burning some kind of new veggie-fuel.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:43 PM   #11
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2000s
Either that or it's burning some kind of new veggie-fuel.
Green smoke. Hmmm. Must be proof that Porsches burn money.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:48 PM   #12

Ed - Which Is Your Favorite On Ramp?

I'd like to try it myself.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:51 AM   #13

On Ramps

I like several of the onramps onto 288, my favorite is comming off of Powhite Parkway onto 288. It is normally not busy and I almost always behave myself unless there is no traffic in front of me. There is very good visibility and it is a long fast sweeper.

This is the same onramp the Eurosports Porsche dealer took me when I was testdriving the 2006 Boxster S with 19" wheels (wishful thinking only). At the top of the onramp there is a concrete divider separating you from the main traffic flow for close to a mile and two lanes available for merging. Its a good place to see if you have tread squirm.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:07 AM   #14
1JB

It's fun to rock and roll with the Carreras. I think a lot of them don't know much about the Boxster nor have many of them ever driven one. I've never gone head to head on acceleration on the highway but on the twisties they really get caught by surprise. I drive to work on a beautiful winding, wooded and hilly road. So I'm enjoying the day rolling along at about 50 and a 911 comes right up behind me, not on my butt to be totally rude but closer than courtesy would dictate. So we go up a windy hill with very tight curves and after the first curve he's falling back, by the top of the hill he's way back and comes racing down the straight away to the stop sign. Now I know on a track the 911 would kick my booty with a decent driver because I am by no means an expert but the Boxster is simply so easy to drive in the twisties without that butt losing, wallowing beasty, gut renching hang on to the steering wheel sensation of the 911 that the everyday 911 driver is not going to stay on my butt for long on a winding public highway. If I hadn't fallen in love with a convertible I would have gotten the Cayman and I just can't imagine what a Cayman with a limited slip and 997 powertrain would to do the 997. The driving dynamics of a mid engine are just unreal. When the warranty's up on my Boxster I'd love to put a Ruf powertrain in it. That will be one unbelievable car.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
I like several of the onramps onto 288, my favorite is comming off of Powhite Parkway onto 288. It is normally not busy and I almost always behave myself unless there is no traffic in front of me. There is very good visibility and it is a long fast sweeper.

This is the same onramp the Eurosports Porsche dealer took me when I was testdriving the 2006 Boxster S with 19" wheels (wishful thinking only). At the top of the onramp there is a concrete divider separating you from the main traffic flow for close to a mile and two lanes available for merging. Its a good place to see if you have tread squirm.

Ed

I live about 2 miles from there, and I completely agree. All of those new 288 on-ramps are great! It certainly doesn't hurt that the road is almost brand-new from the Powhite Parkway up to the West end, and that during off-peak hours the road is almost always empty .
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Beautful fall day here in Virginia, temp in the 70's, sunny, leaves are There was little or no traffic to contend with and our "merge into the traffic" was all over in less than 10 seconds, but I was impressed by how I could almost keep up with the more expensive car, great fun.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

As a respected member of this forum, I'm personally appalled at the outrageous, unprofessioal behaviour of my fellow members on public thoroughfares. To think you actually exceeded the speed limit, endangering all those pretty, doe-eyed deer.

I'm officially lodging a complaint with Brucelee.

Bruce, take it away. . . .
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:54 AM   #17

Talking

If half of what was written here was actually true, I would be appalled.
Fortunately, I know testosterone speaking when I see it!

Hey, one time I was driving my 1997 Box when I came upon a Lotus Esprit Turbo ........

"Everyone is Bruce Lee on the Internet!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:49 PM   #18

At the last DE there was an old 911 turbo without cats that would literally shoot flames out the tailpipe when he would lift at high RPMs because there was suddenly a ton of unburned fuel in the exhaust.

binaryc is offline   Reply With Quote