986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Carrera-S and 2.7L Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/8001-carrera-s-2-7l-boxster.html)

edevlin 10-31-2006 02:23 PM

Carrera-S and 2.7L Boxster

Beautful fall day here in Virginia, temp in the 70's, sunny, leaves are changing, great stuff. I had to do go to Richmond, about a 70 mile drive from home, of course with top down, I was loving it. On the way to town I noticed a beautful black Carrera-S convertible also with the top down come up from behind me. We both waved and had these big smiles on our faces.

I followed him for several miles through town and was hoping he was going the same way I was onto the onramp to the highway. Sure enough he was. This is one of my favorite onramps that I take and use the excuse of merging into the traffic to run through the gears. As I followed the Carrera S I could tell he had the same idea. I was in second gear at 4000 rpm, right at the start of the powerband in my little 2.7L Boxster. At the end of the onramp we both stepped on it.

I could tell he was going hard as I could see smoke blowing hard out of his 4 tail pipes and could hear him agressively shifting. My dyno runs show I am making peak HP (about 200) at 6500 rpm (falls off noticably above that), which is where I was throwing my shifts. When we started I was about 5-6 car lengths behind him. When I stopped accererating at somewhat over 100 mph, he had only gained about 2 car lenghts, but I could tell he was still slowly wideing the gap between us.

There was little or no traffic to contend with and our "merge into the traffic" was all over in less than 10 seconds, but I was impressed by how I could almost keep up with the more expensive car, great fun.

Ed

:dance: :dance: :dance:

CJ_Boxster 10-31-2006 02:28 PM

nice, about a month ago, on crenshaw blvd in torrance, a guy in a early 90's Carrera 4 S and I were stoped at a red light. Both of us side by side and up front of everyone else. He told me, I know you dont think you can beat me in that car. I said HAha, i know i cant beat you. Then the light turned green, he slammed on the gas, as did I and he was only able to pull away by 1 car length before we reached 60mph and stopped accelerating. It was a huge suprise to me and the driver of the C4S

bmussatti 10-31-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edevlin
I could tell he was going hard as I could see smoke blowing hard out of his 4 tail pipes and could hear him agressively shifting. My dyno runs show I am making peak HP (about 200) at 6500 rpm (falls off noticably above that), which is where I was throwing my shifts. When we started I was about 5-6 car lengths behind him. When I stopped accererating at somewhat over 100 mph, he had only gained about 2 car lenghts, but I could tell he was still slowly wideing the gap between us. :dance: :dance: :dance:

Is this normal? Should our cars be blowing smoke on hard acceleration? Or is the Carrera getting reaady to blow a motor?

CJ_Boxster 10-31-2006 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Is this normal? Should our cars be blowing smoke on hard acceleration? Or is the Carrera getting reaady to blow a motor?

The C4S i raced puffed out some smoke between shifts from 1st into 2nd gear.

SD987 10-31-2006 03:19 PM

I can't believe you were so irresponsible as to engage in such dangerous behaviour on public streets.... :dance:

(nice job, boys :cheers: )

Grizzly 10-31-2006 03:35 PM

Read it again, CJ. He wasn't chastising you.

blue2000s 10-31-2006 03:37 PM

Maximum power occurs at a relatively rich level. It's also common to use extra fuel to keep the engine cooler. Also, when going from a small throttle opening to full throttle, the cylinder mixture can run lean so the ECU compensates by injecting extra fuel. Under full throttle and heavy load, the car dumps alot of extra fuel into the cylinders. This is why most cars will puff some black smoke when accelerating hard. It's normal. If it's blue smoke, it's a different story.

bmussatti 10-31-2006 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Maximum power occurs at a relatively rich level. It's also common to use extra fuel to keep the engine cooler. Also, when going from a small throttle opening to full throttle, the cylinder mixture can run lean so the ECU compensates by injecting extra fuel. Under full throttle and heavy load, the car dumps alot of extra fuel into the cylinders. This is why most cars will puff some black smoke when accelerating hard. It's normal. If it's blue smoke, it's a different story.

Great, explaination, but, what if I see...say...green smoke? Should I call Ghostbusters!!!

Boooooo. Happy Holloween!

CJ_Boxster 10-31-2006 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Read it again, CJ. He wasn't chastising you.

Opps haha, i didnt notice the (nice Job Boys) :cheers: at the bottom haha.

blue2000s 10-31-2006 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmussatti
Great, explaination, but, what if I see...say...green smoke? Should I call Ghostbusters!!!

Boooooo. Happy Holloween!

Either that or it's burning some kind of new veggie-fuel.

Boxtaboy 10-31-2006 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blue2000s
Either that or it's burning some kind of new veggie-fuel.

Green smoke. Hmmm. Must be proof that Porsches burn money. :p

KevinH1990 10-31-2006 05:48 PM

Ed - Which Is Your Favorite On Ramp?

I'd like to try it myself.

edevlin 11-01-2006 01:51 AM

On Ramps

I like several of the onramps onto 288, my favorite is comming off of Powhite Parkway onto 288. It is normally not busy and I almost always behave myself unless there is no traffic in front of me. There is very good visibility and it is a long fast sweeper.

This is the same onramp the Eurosports Porsche dealer took me when I was testdriving the 2006 Boxster S with 19" wheels (wishful thinking only). At the top of the onramp there is a concrete divider separating you from the main traffic flow for close to a mile and two lanes available for merging. Its a good place to see if you have tread squirm.

Ed

:cheers:

1JB 11-01-2006 06:07 AM

It's fun to rock and roll with the Carreras. I think a lot of them don't know much about the Boxster nor have many of them ever driven one. I've never gone head to head on acceleration on the highway but on the twisties they really get caught by surprise. I drive to work on a beautiful winding, wooded and hilly road. So I'm enjoying the day rolling along at about 50 and a 911 comes right up behind me, not on my butt to be totally rude but closer than courtesy would dictate. So we go up a windy hill with very tight curves and after the first curve he's falling back, by the top of the hill he's way back and comes racing down the straight away to the stop sign. Now I know on a track the 911 would kick my booty with a decent driver because I am by no means an expert but the Boxster is simply so easy to drive in the twisties without that butt losing, wallowing beasty, gut renching hang on to the steering wheel sensation of the 911 that the everyday 911 driver is not going to stay on my butt for long on a winding public highway. If I hadn't fallen in love with a convertible I would have gotten the Cayman and I just can't imagine what a Cayman with a limited slip and 997 powertrain would to do the 997. The driving dynamics of a mid engine are just unreal. When the warranty's up on my Boxster I'd love to put a Ruf powertrain in it. That will be one unbelievable car.

YellowJacket 11-01-2006 06:21 AM

Quote:

I like several of the onramps onto 288, my favorite is comming off of Powhite Parkway onto 288. It is normally not busy and I almost always behave myself unless there is no traffic in front of me. There is very good visibility and it is a long fast sweeper.

This is the same onramp the Eurosports Porsche dealer took me when I was testdriving the 2006 Boxster S with 19" wheels (wishful thinking only). At the top of the onramp there is a concrete divider separating you from the main traffic flow for close to a mile and two lanes available for merging. Its a good place to see if you have tread squirm.

Ed

:cheers:

I live about 2 miles from there, and I completely agree. All of those new 288 on-ramps are great! It certainly doesn't hurt that the road is almost brand-new from the Powhite Parkway up to the West end, and that during off-peak hours the road is almost always empty .

jeffsquire 11-01-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Beautful fall day here in Virginia, temp in the 70's, sunny, leaves are There was little or no traffic to contend with and our "merge into the traffic" was all over in less than 10 seconds, but I was impressed by how I could almost keep up with the more expensive car, great fun.

:dance: :dance: :dance:

As a respected member of this forum, I'm personally appalled at the outrageous, unprofessioal behaviour of my fellow members on public thoroughfares. To think you actually exceeded the speed limit, endangering all those pretty, doe-eyed deer.

I'm officially lodging a complaint with Brucelee.

Bruce, take it away. . . .

Brucelee 11-01-2006 06:54 AM

If half of what was written here was actually true, I would be appalled.
Fortunately, I know testosterone speaking when I see it!

Hey, one time I was driving my 1997 Box when I came upon a Lotus Esprit Turbo ........

"Everyone is Bruce Lee on the Internet!

binaryc 11-01-2006 10:49 PM

At the last DE there was an old 911 turbo without cats that would literally shoot flames out the tailpipe when he would lift at high RPMs because there was suddenly a ton of unburned fuel in the exhaust.