Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 09:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
BTW- that guy has a rep within the dealer service depts. To say he is not loved is an understatement.
I complained about him to Customer Commitment, who forwarded it up the chain. I also will be sending a letter to Doug Battie and Scott Codute personally, which seem to be the next two bosses up from him in his chain of command. I've also witnessed personally how abusive he is to the service reps and am wholly unimpressed.

Now, the talk about "sell your car" is all interesting to me too. My problem is that I'm hooked--if I sold the car, I'd want to turn around and buy a 2007 987S. Sad eh?

I'd probably lose about $12,000 in that deal, even with any compensation that Porsche may see fit to throw my way.

Conundrum. My service guy has been saying that I should keep the car and that the dealership would take care of me, but that sounds like a fool's game.

Advice? There is really nothing else out on the market for a daily driver within my price range that impresses me.

Old 10-28-2006, 09:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Redlining a car, or exceeding it, isn't the only way to shorten it's lifespan or that of the transmission. Merely the practice of keeping one's hand on the stick while driving and inadvertently applying pressure can lead to early wear to the balk rings or synchros. Shifting early or late can also have detrimental effects. And there are many others too.
Thanks for the objective statements, Jim.

The problem is, I'm not doing anything that I consider "classic tranny killers". I'm not engine braking--I'm matching revs. I'm not leaning on the shifter like a gangster--I return my hand to the wheel after every shift. I'm not dropping the clutch from 6000 RPM--I have never launched the car. I'm not speed shifting, power shifting or otherwise driving like a hooligan.

The only thing I do that is at all a "drive it like you stole it" thing, is I use the entire power band. I would expect that to offer up less-than-stellar engine life, but nothing else and certainly not within 20,000 miles.

The fact that they WERE willing to replace both transmissions indicates to me that they DON'T have a leg to stand on. The fact that I've gone through two trannies tells me that the car had issues.

As for the brakes, I fully expected to have less-than-optimum brake life, as I am hard on the brakes--I have a daily commute that involves a fairly steeply-graded offramp that chews up brakes. That, and I brake a little hard due to my time on race tracks. I don't consider brakes a huge expenditure, so I don't treat them kindly.

Transmissions though, I'm like a mother with a newborn!
Old 10-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #23

changing cars would surely tell you if you're driving style is the problem. If you have no problems in the new car then there you have it. They didn't exactly completely overhaul the 06 tranny did they??
Me suspects it just 1st year redesign woes. Maybe bad build quality/procedures and things are internally not as well put together. A reason why people bite their nails and wait until the 2nd year.
It sounds to me that the Porsche not being so rare in SoCal has lead Porsche reps to becoming very stupid, from showroom sales people to service managers.
They need to hire more folks from Lexus, and other more customer valued co's.
Ditch the Mazda/Toyota attitude. I got plenty of that when I had my Miata and POS corolla. I think they hire their sales people from electronic stores and their service reps from Jiffy Lube. Sometimes I felt like tape recording my interactions and sending the tape to everyone from the franchise owner to the CEO.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
Thanks for the objective statements, Jim.

The problem is, I'm not doing anything that I consider "classic tranny killers". I'm not engine braking--I'm matching revs. I'm not leaning on the shifter like a gangster--I return my hand to the wheel after every shift. I'm not dropping the clutch from 6000 RPM--I have never launched the car. I'm not speed shifting, power shifting or otherwise driving like a hooligan.

The only thing I do that is at all a "drive it like you stole it" thing, is I use the entire power band. I would expect that to offer up less-than-stellar engine life, but nothing else and certainly not within 20,000 miles.

The fact that they WERE willing to replace both transmissions indicates to me that they DON'T have a leg to stand on. The fact that I've gone through two trannies tells me that the car had issues.

As for the brakes, I fully expected to have less-than-optimum brake life, as I am hard on the brakes--I have a daily commute that involves a fairly steeply-graded offramp that chews up brakes. That, and I brake a little hard due to my time on race tracks. I don't consider brakes a huge expenditure, so I don't treat them kindly.

Transmissions though, I'm like a mother with a newborn!
Hi,

All sounds OK to me, I was just stating the obvious that in any failure, especially a premature one, driver involvement cannot be automatically ruled out.

It's a b*tch going through the things you are, and I hope you're seeing the end of it. But, with luck like yours, no offense, I don't wanna be sitting in the seat next to yours on the airplane...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 10:50 AM   #25

Smile

I do think this 05 trans is from a new manufacturer. That alone could be the issue.

Yes, Porsche could learn TONS from Lexus.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #26
bmussatti

Yeah...I'd say Eslai is a little hard on his brakes!!

Last edited by bmussatti; 10-29-2006 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:08 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
It's a b*tch going through the things you are, and I hope you're seeing the end of it. But, with luck like yours, no offense, I don't wanna be sitting in the seat next to yours on the airplane...
I hope so too, as I really can't imagine continuing problems like this. I can't really sell the car now and buy an '07--I'd be losing too much money in the process. Best hope is to get an extended warranty out of Porsche or something. I love the car; I hate the car.

And yeah, you wouldn't want to sit next to me on the plane. I would fall asleep and drool on you. Not only would you crash, but you'd crash with another man's drool on you and that's just not right!

bmussati: Nice picture! I haven't managed to get these rotors to light up though.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:41 PM   #28

Eslai, did you have the car put on a PST tool
and printouts created before you took delivery
of it to see if the 3 over-rev's were there before you
took possession of the car?

One has to wonder if someone at the factory test track,
or a complete moron of a salesman took it out for a
"spirited" drive before you got to the dealership.
Or, if it was a lot car you bought, who decided to test
drive it and stand on it like they REALLY stole it.

Bmussati: Please, oh please res-down your attached
pix to a normal web page size! They're funny, but the
side to side scrolling to read the thread posts is killing me!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 AM   #29

I came late to this thread, but I have to tell you that when I hear this stuff, it makes me think I've bought my last Porsche. This company is ignoring inherent defects and riding on its past reputation.

I always compare my Porsche experience with that of my Mazda Tribute, not in terms of driving experience -- which would be ridiculous -- but in terms of ownership experience. I drive the hell out of the Mazda and will probably run it into the ground. It's a pretty peppy and sharp-handling SUV (zoom-zoom) and I take full advantage of that. At 47K miles, it's performed flawlessly and has no rattles. At around 6K miles, I'm already getting noises in the Porsche. The transmission works great, as opposed to the horror story on this thread. At around 30K, the dealer resurfaced -- not replaced -- the rotors. And, by the way, the dealer service with the Mazda has been excellent, as opposed to my outlandish four-day ordeal when I took my 987S in for its one-year service. Oh, and I might add that the dealer "could not duplicate" the annoying right rear squeak that my 987S has had since new. I, too, will probably need a shock replacement down the line -- hopefully under warranty.

I just use this example -- as well as the numerous stories I've read on here and elsewhere about low-mileage Boxster mechanical failures -- to point out that Porsche has something of a charade going here, in terms of mechanical defects and erratic dealer service. It's pathetic when the ownership experience is better on a car one-third the price of the 987S.

Believe me, when it's time to trade the 987S, I'll be shopping around. No Porsche Kool-Aid for me.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:43 AM   #30

Garage
Are you sure they replaced the original tranmission..

at 5K?

I ask since it seems pretty amazing that two different Porsche trannies would fail with in 20K miles. I say that because I have not not seen any other reports of faiures with this transmission on either the 997 or 987 or Cayman boards.

Which makes me wonder if there was a transmission replacement; sounds more like it might have ben opened up, worked on and then put out back together. Two similar failures in two different transmissions sounds odd as heck. Was there a significant difference in the shift feel when you got the new tranny? I would think the linkage would be stiffer compared with a unit with XK miles on it.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 07:05 AM   #31

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
at 5K?

I ask since it seems pretty amazing that two different Porsche trannies would fail with in 20K miles. I say that because I have not not seen any other reports of faiures with this transmission on either the 997 or 987 or Cayman boards.

Which makes me wonder if there was a transmission replacement; sounds more like it might have ben opened up, worked on and then put out back together. Two similar failures in two different transmissions sounds odd as heck. Was there a significant difference in the shift feel when you got the new tranny? I would think the linkage would be stiffer compared with a unit with XK miles on it.
I could be wrong here but my local service guy told me they do not repair trans internals. They swap out the box entirely.

That could be a dealer decision or Porsche, I don't know.

The other possibliity is that any failure of the new transmissions from the new supplier is shipped out for analysis.

Since Porsche had a bad batch of new engines years back with the Box, it is not unheard of that they might have the same issue in year 1 of the new transmissions.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:30 AM   #32

The dealer told me that they do not repair the transmissions, they send 'em back to germany whole. I'm pretty sure that they replaced the tranny twice--the regional manager was pretty pissed about it so I'm pretty sure.

Randall--didn't even know that the counts existed when I picked up the car. In the future I'm pretty sure I'd do what you suggested!

Car's at the dealership today getting the new shock installed. My service guy also had to reset my stereo (which had locked up completely this morning) for me by pulling a fuse. Niiiice.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #33
bmussatti

[QUOTE=eslai]Randall--didn't even know that the counts existed when I picked up the car. In the future I'm pretty sure I'd do what you suggested!QUOTE]

I wonder if these rev-counts are time & date stamped in the DME?? Like Randall suggested, they may have happen prior to your purchase. It would be interesting to see the print-out from your dealer, Eslai.
Old 10-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
I wonder if these rev-counts are time & date stamped in the DME??

I'm pretty sure only the hour of the most recent incident is recorded.
DVST8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #35

Hi,

Porsche was not allowing Dealers to do any repair to either Engines or Transmissions. That has relaxed slightly with some internal repair now being done by the Dealerships. I do not know whether they have the option to do it or not.

But, for the type of failure Eslai experienced, even under the new rlaxed rules, the Dealer would not be able to service it, remove and replace only...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote