View Single Post
Old 10-30-2006, 04:17 AM   #29
longislander1

I came late to this thread, but I have to tell you that when I hear this stuff, it makes me think I've bought my last Porsche. This company is ignoring inherent defects and riding on its past reputation.

I always compare my Porsche experience with that of my Mazda Tribute, not in terms of driving experience -- which would be ridiculous -- but in terms of ownership experience. I drive the hell out of the Mazda and will probably run it into the ground. It's a pretty peppy and sharp-handling SUV (zoom-zoom) and I take full advantage of that. At 47K miles, it's performed flawlessly and has no rattles. At around 6K miles, I'm already getting noises in the Porsche. The transmission works great, as opposed to the horror story on this thread. At around 30K, the dealer resurfaced -- not replaced -- the rotors. And, by the way, the dealer service with the Mazda has been excellent, as opposed to my outlandish four-day ordeal when I took my 987S in for its one-year service. Oh, and I might add that the dealer "could not duplicate" the annoying right rear squeak that my 987S has had since new. I, too, will probably need a shock replacement down the line -- hopefully under warranty.

I just use this example -- as well as the numerous stories I've read on here and elsewhere about low-mileage Boxster mechanical failures -- to point out that Porsche has something of a charade going here, in terms of mechanical defects and erratic dealer service. It's pathetic when the ownership experience is better on a car one-third the price of the 987S.

Believe me, when it's time to trade the 987S, I'll be shopping around. No Porsche Kool-Aid for me.
longislander1 is offline   Reply With Quote