Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2024, 10:53 AM   #41

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpepperracing View Post
Thanks for that link. I assume the prices you are mentioning are the USD prices. I don't see the heritage one but I'll keep looking.
No, those are CDN dollars... they are in BC.

1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 10:31 AM   #42

Garage
This morning I got the engine installed in the car (i.e.- it is in position with the engine and transmission mounts attached. Now I have to get all the other things attached...
Old 04-07-2024, 10:44 AM   #43

Garage
The dipstick tube is so brittle that it broke near the engine side connector while I was trying to reposition it. I used a length of 3/8" rubber hose to fix it.

Old 04-09-2024, 12:11 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
The dipstick tube is so brittle that it broke near the engine side connector while I was trying to reposition it. I used a length of 3/8" rubber hose to fix it.
Mine did the same when I was trying to take it out, and I've repaired it the same way. I see now that I need to undo it an put the firewall cover on first, hopefully it doesn't break again farther up...
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 12:49 PM   #45

Garage
Back to my experience with the oil pressure gauges. As mentioned earlier, since replacing the blown engine in my 2000 S I had a cheap Amazon gauge and sender. At idle with the engine hot I was getting almost zero oil pressure on the gauge, but the oil pressure idiot light never even flickered... so I figured the pressure is low, but not critical (it is an "experienced" engine with around 130K miles on it). Today I completed the installation of the VDO gauge and Porsche (VDO) sender and suddenly I have 20 psi at hot idle! So it seems the Amazon kit that I have is not very accurate at low pressure. I am assuming that it is the sender that is inaccurate not the gauge, because I ran the VDO gauge with the Amazon sender and was getting the same low reading at hot idle.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:00 AM   #46

Good to know. I am using the Porsche 996 sender, haven't procured a gauge yet. I re-did my oil dipstick tube yesterday successfully without breaking it again, so that's good. I think you are about a month ahead of me in terms of timing.
redpepperracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 07:30 PM   #47

Garage
Whoopie

This is always a great moment after an engine swap!

https://youtu.be/pAYE2K2Y0kI

This start was just to see if the engine would run... there was no coolant in the engine and I forgot to put the oil filler cap on so had a massive vacuum leak. It did not stall, I shut it down. Subsequent starts with the oil filler cap in place and filled with coolant were much smoother. No fluid leaks so far and the oil pressure is good, but I knew that because the engine was temporarily installed in my S last year.
Next is installing the exhaust system and the suspension then it will be test drive time.

Last edited by elgyqc; 04-11-2024 at 07:32 PM. Reason: added info
Old 04-12-2024, 11:19 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgyqc View Post
This is always a great moment after an engine swap!
Next is installing the exhaust system and the suspension then it will be test drive time.
Congratulations!
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2024, 03:30 AM   #49

Garage
It is taking a lot of time to complete everything since the first start 2 weeks ago, but things are looking good... except a problem with the brakes that took some time.
https://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/85587-do-i-need-new-brake-booster.html
Otherwise the road tests have not uncovered any problems. There are still some details I am working on before I officially put it on sale: returning the top to power operation (waiting for a part), refitting the panels under the car, a pesky rattle that I think is an exhaust shield, finish putting the frunk and trunk panels and lining back in place, the moulding on the seat backs that has pulled out, a CEL on start up, an amplifier bolt anchor that seems to be stripped and a thorough cleaning inside and out.
Maybe I'm putting too much into these details, I'm sure that the majority of other Boxsters for sale locally haven't been as well prepared, starting with a wash and a vacuuming.
Old 05-09-2024, 01:53 PM   #50

Garage
The CEL code I was getting was "P0102 The Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF) Sensor is unplugged, or the wiring is damaged, Loose or corroded electrical terminals in the MAF Sensor circuit, Faulty MAF Sensor".
I ordered a Cardone remanufactured MAF sensor from a popular supplier (only $34.79 US) and, between the rain showers, got into the engine compartment and had a look at the MAF sensor to see what screwdriver I needed... and noticed in passing that nothing was plugged into it. Hmmm that could be the problem. Once the connector was connected I went for a test drive and didn't get a CEL! And had more power. If only all problems were that simple to correct.