Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2021, 12:04 PM   #1

New owner, ignition barrel removal (I'm sorry for the 1000th ignition thread)

Just bought a silver 98 Boxster 5 speed. I've seen a video of it running, but as soon as I got it the battery was dead and key wont turn in the ignition.

[see video 1] The key remote works, and it works in the car's other locks. The key will turn SLIGHTLY in the ignition to where it can't be pulled out, but not to position 1. The steering lock is engaged, turning the wheel doesn't seem to help. Removed the electrical part at the back of the lock, no change. Ordered the audi replacement part.

Trying to remove the lock barrel. Removed the torx screw near the front of the lock, and the 10mm at the steering column. Is there anything else holding the barrel in place? [see video 2] The barrel is loose but can't be removed. Feels like it is stuck in the steering column. When I pull the wheel to one side the barrel tightens up and can't be moved, I do so twice in the video. Is it possible to remove the barrel with the steering lock engaged?

I can't removed the cylinder portion of the lock, because I can't turn key to position 1 to insert a paperclip in to the release hole.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Videos
https://photos.app.goo.gl/v7c5Ndh19fayCUJE8
https://photos.app.goo.gl/NpriZjCudPjhj3Fe8

(the dash is lit up in video 1 because I turned on the lights, not because of the ignition.)

TangoBravoNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:00 PM   #2

"Using a small screwdriver, push down on the push lock pin to release the lock assembly from the steering column"

Oh, this may be the step I am missing. I need to find the "push lock pin"
Old 01-18-2021, 06:39 PM   #3

Garage
Check this out, sounds like you have the same problem as I had.
You can't "... push down on the push lock pin to release the lock assembly from the steering column" if the bolt is jammed in the extended position.

Steering locking mechanism problem - how I resolved it.

Good luck!
1987 924S 5-speed (Sold) - Blue 2000 Boxster 5 spd (Sold)
elgyqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:34 PM   #4

Thank you, that was a big help! Got the whole ignition off, lubed, and working. Just waiting for the electric switch part to come in so the key returns to run from start.

Starts and runs, just need to work on this weird idle...