Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2006, 01:34 PM   #21
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thanks bro...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaS
That is one kick %#@ watch though....
...but, at $5200, it better be!

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:17 PM   #22

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
If you could afford it, why not?

I can afford it. I simply don't get the point. I can think of plenty of other things I would value more than a $5K watch.
Yes like an Industrial Size Popcorn Machine.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 02:29 PM   #23

^yes definitely look into a career in finance or maybe real estate development/lending.
I don't know of many other industries where you can become a millionaire well before the age of 40 and retire do something else you really love.
I wish my schools and colleges had placed more of an emphasis on understanding the markets and financial lending. The money being made by talented and hungry 20 something's today is INSANE.
go to the bookstore and buy one of those books 'financial careers for dumby's" and so forth.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Oh, and I'm in the financial industry.
Hi,

The Breitling Navitimer is a great watch. I looked at it, but it was just too big on my wrist. I've always loved Breitlings, certainly on-par with a Rolex, but less common.

We had been vacationing in Playa del Carmen Mexico in the mid-90's and my last Breitling (a Hercules) was stolen. Mrs. MNBoxster said it had always been her intention to buy me a replacement

Mine, shown below, is the Aerospace Advantage, 100% Titanium (except the 18K gold accents), and very light. It is actually my Wedding Ring. Mrs. MNBoxster knew that I didn't wear any jewelry, and so bought it for me instead of a Ring while we were honeymooning in Montreal to replace the one I'd lost in Mexico.

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 03:54 PM   #25
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNBoxster
Hi,

The Breitling Navitimer is a great watch. I looked at it, but it was just too big on my wrist. I've always loved Breitlings, certainly on-par with a Rolex, but less common.

We had been vacationing in Playa del Carmen Mexico in the mid-90's and my last Breitling (a Hercules) was stolen. Mrs. MNBoxster said it had always been her intention to buy me a replacement

Mine, shown below, is the Aerospace Advantage, 100% Titanium (except the 18K gold accents), and very light. It is actually my Wedding Ring. Mrs. MNBoxster knew that I didn't wear any jewelry, and so bought it for me instead of a Ring while we were honeymooning in Montreal to replace the one I'd lost in Mexico.

Thanks. That's funny, cause I actually wouldn't mind if the watch was slightly bigger. The watch case has about a 41.8 mm diameter, and the trend is just going bigger and bigger these days. I love it though. Here's another shot:

Now before I get too off topic, here's a ON topic post: My car's interior shot...in keeping with the whole silver and black theme.

Cheers.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 PM   #26

Smile

If I was getting out of graduate school today (instead of 1975) I would head off to Wall Street or Park Avenue and start in investment banking. If you are good, the money is very very good.

I am working on raising capital right now with some old IB buddies of mine.

I love Park Ave when you are spending other people's money.

Perhaps I WILL bet the watch after this is all over.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 04:43 PM   #27

I'm 26 with a decent job, an insanely short commute and a beat up truck that's close to death. I need another vehicle. I could probably go out and get a brand new Miata or Solstice or (heaven forbid) Mustang, or for about the same money I could get a 6-year old Porsche that still performs better than 90% of the cars on the road, and I would love it every second of every day.

People at work make it seem like I'm either rich or overstepping my bounds, but bottom line is I'll trade 6 years of age for that kind of performance and driving enjoyment, the money is about the same. Sure, maintenance is slightly higher, but do a lot yourself and you might break close to even.

Buying a porsche really doesn't seem like a budget-ruining decision, it's simply a matter of priorities. I like driving something I'm really proud of, and at the end of the day regardless of how much I do actually make, driving a porsche makes me feel like a million bucks, so I say just do it!

-David
Ocean Blue 2000 S
David N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 05:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by David N.
I'm 26 with a decent job, an insanely short commute and a beat up truck that's close to death. I need another vehicle. I could probably go out and get a brand new Miata or Solstice or (heaven forbid) Mustang, or for about the same money I could get a 6-year old Porsche that still performs better than 90% of the cars on the road, and I would love it every second of every day.

People at work make it seem like I'm either rich or overstepping my bounds, but bottom line is I'll trade 6 years of age for that kind of performance and driving enjoyment, the money is about the same. Sure, maintenance is slightly higher, but do a lot yourself and you might break close to even.

Buying a porsche really doesn't seem like a budget-ruining decision, it's simply a matter of priorities. I like driving something I'm really proud of, and at the end of the day regardless of how much I do actually make, driving a porsche makes me feel like a million bucks, so I say just do it!

-David
Ocean Blue 2000 S
Hi,

That's maybe the most honest expression of someone buying a Porsche that I've ever heard. Good Luck!...

Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 PM   #29

Hi,

Watches are nice, and there seem to some very nice ones amongst this group.

But, I tell ya', I'm going to be really impressed when someone shows up with Vertu's Ascent Motorsport Edition Cellphone. Oil resistant Leather, Carbon Fibre, Liquid Metal Display (yep, the stuff from The Terminator).

Specifications

Colour: Black
Volume: 78cm3
Size: 108 x 44 x 22mm (L x W x D)
Weight: 170g
High-performance 20mm hands-free loudspeaker\
Advanced Yamaha polyphonic hardware
From 2.5 to 4 hours talk time
Up to 270 hours standby time
GSM Tri-band coverage in over 175 countries worldwide
High resolution dynamic display with Crystal Fine technology
Precision engineered stainless steel keys with jewelled bearings
Carbon Fibre battery cover with !/4 turn key
Bluetooth, Modem support, PC synchronisation
SMS, Email, MMS, Multi-language predictive text input, Advanced agenda, Calculator
1000 names in phonebook, 220 calendar notes, 100 SMS
Support English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Traditional, Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Arabic, Russian

It was produced to commemorate Ventu's participation in the Porsche Michelin Supercup and Porsche Infineon Carrera Cup Asia. It was tested by being run over by Team Vertu's Porsche 997 GT3 Supercup race car. Only 997, individually numbered, Ascent Motorsport Limited Edition handsets have been released for sale across the world - Price: $5700. Me..?? No Way!! I don't even own a Cellphone...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-26-2006 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #30

I am a Captain in the U.S. Air Force working in space operations. I didn't streach for my Boxster but I did finance for a majority of it. I also collect watches however, my collection consists of vintage Omega's, Tissot's and some newer Oris's and Glycine's. Brietling's are a tad bit busy for me and no one who is actually a pilot would use one. An E6B would be much more practical and cheaper. So while I do collect watches, they are well within my means.
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:53 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
^yes definitely look into a career in finance or maybe real estate development/lending.
I don't know of many other industries where you can become a millionaire well before the age of 40 and retire do something else you really love.
Funny you mention that. I just passed my Conditional California Salesperson License Exam about three or four months ago. Me,now I'm playing it smart and getting a permanent license instead of the conditional one(you have to take more classes). The fees that are associated with being a Realtor and member of the MLS(Mulit-Listing Service) are high if you are starting off. It's amazing how many people try to get in the real estate business and just fall off. I started with 3 other people under the age of 21,one couldn't passes the initial class exam,another couldn't pass the state exam & the third signed with the same broker as me then joined the Air Force....
Old 10-27-2006, 12:01 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigmaPi
I am a Captain in the U.S. Air Force working in space operations. I didn't streach for my Boxster but I did finance for a majority of it. I also collect watches however, my collection consists of vintage Omega's, Tissot's and some newer Oris's and Glycine's. Brietling's are a tad bit busy for me and no one who is actually a pilot would use one. An E6B would be much more practical and cheaper. So while I do collect watches, they are well within my means.

Hi,

In my youth, I was a Fleet Aviator (F4 Phantom B and N variants) and lots of the older guys sported Breitlings, mostly Navitimers. Of couse as a jg, or LT., I couldn't afford one.

But, the USAF Thunderbirds, USN Blue Angels, RAF Red Arrows, and the Italian Frecce Tricolori all wear the Breitling Aerospace (albeit with a proprietary Face).

I ended my Navy Career as a LT. Cmdr., MOS 7595, based at the Naval Flight Test Center, NAS Patuxent River, and did so with a Breitling Cosmonaute on my wrist, and I wasn't the only one, so I would have to respectfully disagree. Breitlings are highly regarded in the flying community.

I don't dispute that the E6B is a fine instrument either, but it wasn't around in my time...

Last edited by MNBoxster; 10-27-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:40 AM   #33
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Hi,

Watches are nice, and there seem to some very nice ones amongst this group.

But, I tell ya', I'm going to be really impressed when someone shows up with Vertu's Ascent Motorsport Edition Cellphone. Oil resistant Leather, Carbon Fibre, Liquid Metal Display (yep, the stuff from The Terminator).

Specifications

Colour: Black
Volume: 78cm3
Size: 108 x 44 x 22mm (L x W x D)
Weight: 170g
High-performance 20mm hands-free loudspeaker\
Advanced Yamaha polyphonic hardware
From 2.5 to 4 hours talk time
Up to 270 hours standby time
GSM Tri-band coverage in over 175 countries worldwide
High resolution dynamic display with Crystal Fine technology
Precision engineered stainless steel keys with jewelled bearings
Carbon Fibre battery cover with !/4 turn key
Bluetooth, Modem support, PC synchronisation
SMS, Email, MMS, Multi-language predictive text input, Advanced agenda, Calculator
1000 names in phonebook, 220 calendar notes, 100 SMS
Support English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Traditional, Chinese, Simplified Chinese, Arabic, Russian

It was produced to commemorate Ventu's participation in the Porsche Michelin Supercup and Porsche Infineon Carrera Cup Asia. It was tested by being run over by Team Vertu's Porsche 997 GT3 Supercup race car. Only 997, individually numbered, Ascent Motorsport Limited Edition handsets have been released for sale across the world - Price: $5700. Me..?? No Way!! I don't even own a Cellphone...

Nah...me?....I'm loyal to my Porsche branded phone- LOL!

I'm not loyal to only Breitling, however...some more of my addictions:

Old 10-27-2006, 04:24 AM   #34

MN,
The reason they wear those is because they are FREE! For those of us that are still fleet aviators, there is no way I could justify buying a 5k watch unless you all start paying a lot more taxes! I am sporting a very fine Ironman by Timex complete with a rubber band.

In the world of Flight management computers, GPS, etc...there is only one reason a pilot wears a big watch, and in this forum, drives a Porsche. It is the most important rule of aviators around the world...Rule #1: Always look good. Even if your airplane is on fire and missing a wing....make that the most spectacular crash and go out with a bang!

Quote:
Hi,

In my youth, I was a Fleet Aviator (F4 Phantom B and N variants) and lots of the older guys sported Breitlings, mostly Navitimers. Of couse as a jg, or LT., I couldn't afford one.

But, the USAF Thunderbirds, USN Blue Angels, RAF Red Arrows, and the Italian Frecce Tricolori all wear the Breitling Aerospace (albeit with a proprietary Face).

I ended my Navy Career as a LT. Cmdr., MOS 7595, based at the Naval Flight Test Center, NAS Patuxent River, and did so with a Breitling Cosmonaute on my wrist, and I wasn't the only one, so I would have to respectfully disagree. Breitlings are highly regarded in the flying community.

I don't dispute that the E6B is a fine instrument either, but it wasn't around in my time...

RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:12 AM   #35

wow I must be the only one who doesn't get it when it comes to watches.
I admit I admire the look of GMT, Daytonna or Carrera Automatic Chrono but not at those prices! It goes against every investment instinct in my body to drop more than $300 on any luxury item, for me lady diff. story.

A woman once said "you think that way and yet you drive
such a facny car"? screeeeeeechhh..... WHOA! LADY!!!
"I drive a sports car not a fancy car. If I wanted one of those fancy cars to impress the ladies I would have gone for stupid four door Merc or BMW. There are very few sports cars today (allot of sporty looking cars for sure) but I have one of the few cars made for DRIVERS."
she looked at me like I was somekind of pyscho. She hit a nerve...

my fake chrono Breitling($50) that lasted me two years and got about 140 comments "ooooo wow nice watch" (I told every last one of them it was fake) succumbed to my mistreatment. I'm hesistantly considering this $500+ Tag F1. I'd rather find a nice second hand model if I can avoid spending that for someting somewhat stylish and durable. But somehow I like the idea of wearing a watch everyone thinks is worth thousands(the knock off not the Tag) but costs less than my Nike Shox. Those guys who make those nice watches are laughing all the way to the bank. Does it really cost Rolex and Tag Heur thousands of dollars to make those watches? How much have internal parts changed in the last 80 years? How much of a mark up does a tempermental Swiss watch really merit? Its almost analagous to Porsche cars.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-27-2006 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #36

Quote:
Hi,

Jim,

Thanks for the reply; I have been unable to confirm one way or the other if at least my Air Force folk wear them. I have always heard stories from folks that pilots in general, or the demo pilots received some sort of fancy watch. I can tell you it's not standard for regular Air Force pilots. Since our lawmakers in all their wisdom have decided to reduce our Air Force by 40,000 troops, it would be pretty irresponsible to keep handing out a multi-thousand dollar watch for which there is no need. Even if some do have one, I will bet my paycheck (small as it is) they don't use it for flight planning.
SigmaPi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:57 AM   #37

I like the idea of a good fake Rolex.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 07:23 AM   #38

^I nearly bought one, this 17 year old looking kid on street was selling one in a Rolex box, with papers,etc. saying it was hot from a very well known large scale operation nearby (I'll just say the word "corner" is in the retailer's name). He wanted to quickly unload it for a couple hundred dollars. Your typical NYC street hustler wearing lots of "bling" of his own. A $3K watch for $200?
Hmm....
I checked it out and it sure as hell did look real and the papers and box were all very convincing. Then I noticed we were standing next to some fountains and I told him to toss the watch into the fountain and stand near it while I went to the ATM to get the cash. He didn't go for it and smiled

Bruce, some one told me they bought a Rolex made up from orginal Rolex replacement parts. An unathorized Rolex if you will. Just as tempermental as the
the real McCoy. That's sort of a fake Bolex right?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:31 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Funny you mention that. I just passed my Conditional California Salesperson License Exam about three or four months ago. Me,now I'm playing it smart and getting a permanent license instead of the conditional one(you have to take more classes). The fees that are associated with being a Realtor and member of the MLS(Mulit-Listing Service) are high if you are starting off. It's amazing how many people try to get in the real estate business and just fall off. I started with 3 other people under the age of 21,one couldn't passes the initial class exam,another couldn't pass the state exam & the third signed with the same broker as me then joined the Air Force....
good for you. Once you get into I'm sure you will learn that the big money in that field is not selling the properties but getting others the cash to buy them and building them. But learning all aspects of the field is a great way to start at a young age.
My friend skipped college (bad move but claims she's postponing it) and is working in a commerical mortgage broker's office where they help small business obtain business loans. For a 19 year old she seems to already know more about business (the ones that fail and the ones that succeed) than most people twice her age. Her boss is a mutant but everyone that works for him seems to be making six figure salaries so they put up with it. I guess if she's going to miss out on keg stands she's at least learning somethign useful.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #40
bmussatti

In today's news:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/10/27/pf/college/lucrative_degree/index.htm?postversion=2006102710