Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 06:10 PM   #21

I drove a 914 around DC every day for almost two years. '70. Loved that car. Ski rack, etc. But maybe it was taking it skiing that caused me to start worrying about rust. That and the unavailability of parts and service. (My dealer had a spot I parked in at least once a month with my name on it. Never could get the drivers window fixed.) Sold it a week before the warranty expired to a just graduated Dr who took it to Philly. I always wanted it back.

Come to think of it, I have owned 6 VW/Porsche engine cars. One a Plymouth Horizon. One the 914. 2 Boxsters. One Type 3 and one Type 4 wagon. The Boxsters were the only ones that didn't rust on me.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #22
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Umm I call BS. I know personal perception is colored by life experience, but the 80s ? really? The most depressing decade of automotive junk ever?

What were you comparing Porsche to that you felt was so superior? American iron with the smog choked engines that were lucky to survive to 100k miles? The corvette finally in 85 put a control arm that wasn't a direct descendant of a 56 Olds. Jaguar had the glorious XJS that was like living in California, you didn't know when the electric was going to fail. Italian cars were so finicky if you drove them twice in a month you had to check them into a shop for rehab?

SO please to not sound like the snooty patched sleeve professor and believe me I do like your new car but the last jab of speaking Italian was a bit much.

While Porsche had some troubles ( catalytic converters under the cylinders, magnesium cases that spit out studs like sunflower seed shells and with a climate control system that still sucked) At least they were reliable and with bodies now being galvanize zinc dipped they were built for the long haul. AND if you really had a death wish or just enjoyed being terrified you could buy a turbo and turn both sides of the apex into white knuckle thrills.
Ah Monty; such the contrarian! I mean, calling "BS" on my opinion!?!?

I make no claims about reliability of other cars of the era, but my comments were about how the car handled, not how reliable or practical it was. What cars of the era handled better? In my own experience; nearly all of them. At the edge, the 911 was prone to pushing the front horribly (understeer plagues them all). You take a car that understeers to the racetrack and you can learn to deal with it. But you take it to a canyon and it deals with you. That's how people die. Mind you we aren't talking about mild understeer solved with better tires; no we're talking about your "white-knuckle" corner-entry being paired with recitations of prayers to deity that won't be heard because the Gods speak Italian, not German. In 1985 I was driving a diminutive '75 Fiat 124 Sport (know to most as the Spider). Twin overhead cam, High-Revving Lampredi motor with actual dual-twin-throat Webers on it. It sounded glorious at full honk, and the car went where you pointed it. It may've left something to the 911 in a straight line, but on a canyon road, the Fiat was far superior to the supposedly "Exotic" Porsche. Funny and true: the 911 was frequently mistaken for my mother's singer-sewing-machine as we listened for its sound from farther up the road where we'd pull over and wait for Darin and the "german exotic" to catch up with us.

But set aside my own proclivities, and look at other cars of the era. Yes, they were choked by smog equipment, but on the domestic-front, the fox-bodied mustang GT or 4-cylinder SVO would hand the Porsche 911 its hat in nearly any contest. On the more "exotic" side, which is the arena the Porsche was regularly lumped-into, (if for no other reason than its price-tag), Sure, there were some horrible cars (though with more character) like the Maserati BiTurbo, but the Ferrari Mondial coupe was far superior in every way. Remember: in the '90's, people were comparing the 911 to things like the Lamborghini Jalpa, and the Lotus Esprit; both far superior cars to the 911. Hell, even the ugly Aston Martin Zagato was a better choice than the german scone. And heaven forbid we start talking Nissan Skyline..... or even the 'Z-cars. Both better road-course cars than the 911, costing less too. (admittedly the Skyline cost more if you were to import one to the US).

Taste is subjective, of course, and thank heavens for that; if everyone loved the same cars I do, then I probably wouldn't be able to afford them, haha. But I was disenfranchised from every motor-journalist who got all mushy-mouthed about another Porsche which looked just like the last: Like a half-used bar of dial soap.

Merkur XR4ti, Buick GN, Mazda RX7, BMW M3, Lotus Elan, Toyota Supra, BMW Z1, VW MKII GTI, IROC-Z/TransAm, I mean, the list of cars from the '80's that excite me more than the air-cooled 911's, and which I could argue to be better cars ALL. DAY. LONG. literally goes on and on and on. And on and on and on.

Last edited by maytag; 12-07-2020 at 06:57 PM.
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #23

Garage
HAHA I knew that'd get you. One thing I found and quickly realized was that with the rear engine it would take an average person a year if ever to learn how to drive the car. Instruction was highly recommended.

Understeer? The 911 was and is known for it's lift throttle OVERSTEER. Panic in a turn and that tail is swap happy, but A slight lift off throttle to kick the tail out and back on the gas and it was point and shoot. The turbo added an extra dimension to that.

And yes I drove most of the cars on your list and while they had a certain appeal handle better? Fiat 124? Not in same league. Sorry.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:22 PM   #24
Who's askin'?

Quote:
HAHA I knew that'd get you. One thing I found and quickly realized was that with the rear engine it would take an average person a year if ever to learn how to drive the car. Instruction was highly recommended.

Understeer? The 911 was and is known for it's lift throttle OVERSTEER. Panic in a turn and that tail is swap happy, but A slight lift off throttle to kick the tail out and back on the gas and it was point and shoot. The turbo added an extra dimension to that.

And yes I drove most of the cars on your list and while they had a certain appeal handle better? Fiat 124? Not in same league. Sorry.
And yet there we were..... waiting on darin every time we went out. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 07:28 PM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maytag View Post
And yet there we were..... waiting on darin every time we went out. ;-)

Haha Don't judge the car by the driver. Enjoy
Old 12-07-2020, 07:32 PM   #26
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Haha Don't judge the car by the driver. Enjoy
Show me your elbows, monty! Haha. Cheers right back atcha! ;-)

Old 12-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #27

Garage
What is the fascination? I'll tell you mine. It is the sound. The sound of high performance. I could never ride a Harley even though I'm a Boomer and supposed to be drawn to that iron. I can't stand the sound of both cylinders firing on the same stroke, it just sounds wrong. Singer sewing machine? quite possible, well tuned and the sound of the cooling fan is unmistakeable even today. Don't know about you but when just about anything with military power flies overhead I look up because that is what high performance sounds like. It stirs the emotion. Like the sound of the Boxster when in the perfect twisties just using throttle and singing up and down the rev range. I love it.

Aww damn just read Chuck Yeager passed away. Greatest pilot ever. RIP.

Last edited by 911monty; 12-07-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 06:00 AM   #28

Garage
911monty, we are on the same wavelength. I will never understand the appeal of Hogly-Fergusons. I've tried riding with friends who had them, and it never went well. The first time I had my Honda 500 Interceptor. I quickly tired of riding slowly enough he could stay near me. And I wasn't TRYING to go fast--I saved that for the track where things were better controlled. The second time was on my Ducati ST2. It started overheating since we were going at a speed to get sufficient cooling airflow. We won't go into aesthetics, but the sound! If I wanted a tractor, I would just buy one.

Getting back to the Porsche world, I had dismissed Boxsters as "hairdressers'" or "girls'" cars, but the experience, both tactile and aural is so sublime so as to overrule that perception.

Glad to know I'm not the only weirdo looking up at aircraft overhead making delicious sounds. I even like Piper Cubs and DC3s!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
Who's askin'?

Quote:
What is the fascination? I'll tell you mine. It is the sound. The sound of high performance. I could never ride a Harley even though I'm a Boomer and supposed to be drawn to that iron. I can't stand the sound of both cylinders firing on the same stroke, it just sounds wrong. Singer sewing machine? quite possible, well tuned and the sound of the cooling fan is unmistakeable even today. Don't know about you but when just about anything with military power flies overhead I look up because that is what high performance sounds like. It stirs the emotion. Like the sound of the Boxster when in the perfect twisties just using throttle and singing up and down the rev range. I love it.

Aww damn just read Chuck Yeager passed away. Greatest pilot ever. RIP.
This is as it should be, Monty, and gets my full support.
It's that emotional component to our automotive love affair that has to be sated; the auditory experience is a HUGE part of that. You and I could argue about which sounds better: the shriek of a tiny V8 at High Rpm, howling through miles of intake-plenum, versus the sewing-machine in my mother's basement, but ultimately that IS subjective, and MUST be so.

I'm kidding, by the way; I CAN tell the difference between the sounds of an air-cooled flat 6 and the singer sewing machine. (Though the jury is still out which one excites me more)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post

Glad to know I'm not the only weirdo looking up at aircraft overhead making delicious sounds. I even like Piper Cubs and DC3s!
"There's no sound like a round."

But I like just about all aircraft sounds. There's an air refueling base at our airport, and I'm always looking up at the KC-135 Stratotankers and they even bring in C-17 Globemasters.

RIP Chuck Yeager.
Old 12-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #31

There is something "special" about an air cooled 911. The smells, sounds, feel, it's all "strong". Add the fact it was a "mostly" hand built sports car and they are something special

From the clunk of the door closing, to the "hot engine" smell of oil, and the steering feel, it's an experience. I had a 90 964 C2 as a daily driver for 8 years in the northeast, snow unless deep wasn't a problem, great heat in the winter, but traffic was an issue (don't want to look like popeye with the huge clutch leg)

Now, my 987.2 Cayman S is faster and more comfortable. There's a lot to be said for AC that works (the 964 had like a baggy of ice cubes held 10 feet away with a fan blowing over the baggy.... not effective), head lights that are modern (964 headlights were old technology, closer to candles under glass), BUT there was something special about an aircooled 911........

Until the 911 gets rear ended by a mini-van school bus........ my biggest issue with a daily driver 911.......

-Eric
99 986
09 Cayman S PDK
departed 90 964 C2, 89 944 S2, 87 951
Eric-986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2020, 01:48 PM   #32
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric-986 View Post
There is something "special" about an air cooled 911. The smells, sounds, feel, it's all "strong".
From the clunk of the door closing, to the "hot engine" smell of oil, and the steering feel, it's an experience. .... snow unless deep wasn't a problem, great heat in the winter, but traffic was an issue (don't want to look like popeye with the huge clutch leg)
FWIW: I got ALL of this just as notably from a '64 Corvair.