View Single Post
Old 12-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
maytag
Who's askin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
What is the fascination? I'll tell you mine. It is the sound. The sound of high performance. I could never ride a Harley even though I'm a Boomer and supposed to be drawn to that iron. I can't stand the sound of both cylinders firing on the same stroke, it just sounds wrong. Singer sewing machine? quite possible, well tuned and the sound of the cooling fan is unmistakeable even today. Don't know about you but when just about anything with military power flies overhead I look up because that is what high performance sounds like. It stirs the emotion. Like the sound of the Boxster when in the perfect twisties just using throttle and singing up and down the rev range. I love it.

Aww damn just read Chuck Yeager passed away. Greatest pilot ever. RIP.
This is as it should be, Monty, and gets my full support.
It's that emotional component to our automotive love affair that has to be sated; the auditory experience is a HUGE part of that. You and I could argue about which sounds better: the shriek of a tiny V8 at High Rpm, howling through miles of intake-plenum, versus the sewing-machine in my mother's basement, but ultimately that IS subjective, and MUST be so.

I'm kidding, by the way; I CAN tell the difference between the sounds of an air-cooled flat 6 and the singer sewing machine. (Though the jury is still out which one excites me more)
maytag is offline   Reply With Quote