Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Garage
replacing evap valve

For those that know. I'm looking to replace the evap valve at the throttle body (996-110-129-06). I also want to use compressed air to blow out the vent line. Is the only way to get to this to remove the air intake manifold? Seems like a ton of work and like it has the potential to open a whole lot of cans of worms.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:54 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
It's been a while, but I've done it on a '99 and an '01. The pictures and some of the info in these threads may help.

Success! Finally fixed the hard start while hot and fueling issues.
Hard restart after fueling

Not a job I enjoy doing, but with patience not terrible. The bolt that holds it under the intake runner is a pain to reach. I did not pull the runner off, but I did remove the throttle body and tube(s) between the runners. Worst case hack: Cut it off and pull it out at both ends, then zip tie the new one in there.
Old 11-28-2020, 08:35 PM   #3

Garage
I saw San Rensho's post. The best idea was to take off the trunk lid. I've been able to remove the clamp from the hose and the electrical connection, but the rubber hose from the throttle body is fused to the valve.
Old 12-01-2020, 09:18 AM   #4

Garage
Well, with a lot of patience and an 8mm open wrench, I was able to remove the pipe clamp on the under side of the intake manifold. That allowed me to pull the valve towards the back and get a channel lock wrench on the valve, while at the same time getting a pair of 90deg needle nose pliers on the rubber hose that was stuck to the valve. With a twist, I freed the hose and was able to pull it off the valve. Down below, I removed the rear most plastic pan and disconnected the hose. This let me wiggle the hose and valve out as one piece. With a little heat, I was able to separate the valve from the plastic hose. Now instead of having to pay $240 for the valve with the hose attached, I'll pay $45 for just the valve ($195 for a plastic hose? Really Porsche?).

I tested the valve by applying 12v and at first it was reluctant to open. I think the contacts were dirty or something. After a little bit, the valve worked fine. I'm replacing it anyways.

What else in the system could be causing the jug noise and the p0446 code? I've already changed out the valve attached to the fuel filler, the fuel cap, and the evap canister under the fender. Anything else I'm missing?

Tony

Last edited by amagalla; 12-01-2020 at 02:17 PM.
amagalla is offline   Reply With Quote