Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2006, 04:53 AM   #1

Thumbs up I finally had some time to spend driving the Boxster this weekend

Here are a few thoughts ....

1. The car is much better than I originally expected. It has such a Fat torque curve and it handles like a go cart. The seats are very comfortable. This car is really well designed. The trunk storage space is really good for such a small car. I am really glad I didn't go for the S2000 in that respect. The engine sounds great! It has a nice healthy sounding rumble down at low rpms that I didn't notice before.

2. I don't know if I would take a road trip in this car. The ride on the freeway is pretty rough and the windnoise would get old after a while. There is a bit of creeking and squeaking with the top up. Big Ford and Dodge trucks seem to like to ride my BUTT no matter if I am going the speed limit or 15 over. In fact, this car seems to bring some of the idiots out of the woodwork. Overall, people are checking the car out. A Porsche in NE Ohio is not a common sight like it would be in certain other large cities.

3. The shifter isn't bad once I got used to it. The gearing is nice too. I filled it up with gas and it seems to be rather thirsty... either that or the gas gauge isn't very linear and it drops quickly at the start.

Most of you already know this stuff, but over all, I ended the day surprised that the car is as good as it is. My only other Porsche ( 87 Carrera coupe ) wasn't even close as far as refinement and the overall fun factor.

Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 05:54 AM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I've noticed that too about my Porsche bringing the *ssholes of the world out of the woodwork.

People are much more aggressive and must less courteous around me when I'm in the Boxster versus the Xterra I used to drive. It's like they are thinking "he's got a Porsche so he must be a smug prick." I don't drive like one, I usually drive with the flow of traffic and don't tailgate or jump from lane to lane.... but still people act like jerk-off's around me.

I've also noticed that big trucks like to sit right on my *ss. I don't know if they really are doing it or just my perception because I'm in a little car with a short rear-end, but it is annoying nonetheless.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #3
1JB

Silverstreak - Glad you're enjoying the car. What year is it? I took my '06 for an 8 hour road trip in nice weather with the top down on all freeway driving after I got it and highly recommend it at least once. It was an experience I will never forget with the top down and wind noise and blow wasn't at all uncomforable. Just remember the sunscreen.
Auto Climate
Bose with Windstop
CD Changer
Heated Seats
Clear Sidemarkers
Midnight Blue Side Vents
1JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 AM   #4

Silverstreak:
"Big Ford and Dodge trucks seem to like to ride my BUTT no matter if I am going the speed limit or 15 over. In fact, this car seems to bring some of the idiots out of the woodwork."

Chills:
"I've also noticed that big trucks like to sit right on my *ss."

If someone is riding my butt I just let them pass me. Even on a two lane road in a no passing zone, I'll just pull over and let them go.

I wish more people did that instead of blocking faster traffic from behind. But I digress...

Actually, when out there driving my Box on some curvy country road, I find that slower vehicles usually let me pass them -- ESPECIALLY big trucks and vans. As if they acknowledge that I'm having a joy ride and this stretch of curves would be wasted driving behind them. I pass and I thank them with a raised hand. Most problematic are the Subaru (and other) station wagons. They do seem to get a bit pedagogical.

And if they don't let me pass them (and there's no passing zone coming), then I just drive VERY slow or even pull over at a point where I can see a large stretch of road behind me. Then I wait to build some distance between me and the slow pokes in front. When enough time has passed and/or I see a car coming from the distance behind me. Then I go, and the stretch is all mine.

Live and let others do the same.

Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:24 AM   #5

Silverstreak -- the enjoyment will only grow with time. I am now addicted to my two 3-hour solo sessions every weekend with my Box.

For the squeaks with the top up... Try applying some protectant on the part of the top where it touches the side windows when they are closed. Sometimes it's the rubbing of the glass against the plastic/rubber that produces those squeaks.

Enjoy,

Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:58 AM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
I watch my rear-view mirror often and move over if I see someone coming up on me. When I was talking about trucks riding my butt I was referring to in traffic where there is now where to move. It just seems the big trucks get closer to me than the sedans, but like I said in my previous post it just might be my perception and not reality.

I'm also an avid sportbike rider and I've noticed people do move out of the way when I'm coming up on them in either my Boxter or on my 10R. I'd say it's 50/50 when they do or don't. The times I've been on twisty roads (hard to find in IL) I must say people are more polite and do move over. I always give a friendly wave and a head nod thanking them.

Live and let live is a good motto.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
Here are a few thoughts ....

2. I don't know if I would take a road trip in this car. The ride on the freeway is pretty rough and the windnoise would get old after a while. There is a bit of creeking and squeaking with the top up. Big Ford and Dodge trucks seem to like to ride my BUTT no matter if I am going the speed limit or 15 over. In fact, this car seems to bring some of the idiots out of the woodwork. Overall, people are checking the car out. A Porsche in NE Ohio is not a common sight like it would be in certain other large cities.
I drove my 986S from NJ to SC, It was about 11 hours each way and the car was a pleasure, I was amazed at how much luggage it swallowed!
I dont think I would have done that trip in my 86 911.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z12358
Silverstreak -- the enjoyment will only grow with time. I am now addicted to my two 3-hour solo sessions every weekend with my Box.

For the squeaks with the top up... Try applying some protectant on the part of the top where it touches the side windows when they are closed. Sometimes it's the rubbing of the glass against the plastic/rubber that produces those squeaks.

Enjoy,

Z.

What type of protectant are you referring to? Suggestions?
jeffsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:35 AM   #9

I agree its very easy to do a long trip in a drop top. Very hard in a tight sports coupe. I'm thinking that a 911 Cab would be even better.

p.s.
You think the Boxster is more fun than 87 911? That's interesting I have the opposite feeling. I find the Boxster to be sooooo predictable and over refined/responsive that's its kind of dull in some respects. A loud, raspy, tail busy, air cooled 911 is the closest thing to a go kart since...well uh my Miata?

p.s.
I've tried that lock de-icing liquid sold at pepboys for squeaks during winter. Worked great on this hartop rattle in my old car that was driving me nuts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-23-2006 at 09:42 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1JB
Silverstreak - Glad you're enjoying the car. What year is it? I took my '06 for an 8 hour road trip in nice weather with the top down on all freeway driving after I got it and highly recommend it at least once. It was an experience I will never forget with the top down and wind noise and blow wasn't at all uncomforable. Just remember the sunscreen.

Mine is a 2000 S.

I stopped in the Porsche dealership during my running around Saturday and checked out the 987. It is quite nicely refined inside and out, I don't know if it is quieter or smoother on the highway, but it certainly was nice. I guess I will just have to try mine out on a road trip sometime.... I am sure it would be a blast given good weather conditions and having enough time to take a few back roads rather than interstate.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM   #11

"What type of protectant are you referring to? Suggestions?"

Jeff, it only sqeaked a tiny bit -- only on dirt roads and only with the both the top and the windows up (hence the conclusion that it came from the contact between them). I just applied some Armor All on the contact area. Just to give something slick for the glass to rub against without sqeaking. It stopped after that.

Hope this helps.

Z.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #12

Cool

[QUOTE=Perfectlap]I agree its very easy to do a long trip in a drop top. Very hard in a tight sports coupe. I'm thinking that a 911 Cab would be even better.

p.s.
You think the Boxster is more fun than 87 911? That's interesting I have the opposite feeling. I find the Boxster to be sooooo predictable and over refined/responsive that's its kind of dull in some respects. A loud, raspy, tail busy, air cooled 911 is the closest thing to a go kart since...well uh my Miata?

QUOTE]
Its just that the 911 was so goofy as far as control layout, long throw shifting and the way it would initially understeer and then suddenly oversteer..... harder to drive and unpredictable at the limits. It was a cool looking car though. I think it was only rated at 214 hp. Come to think of it, it was probably did feel more like a go cart than the boxster.... the ride was brutally rough.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:34 PM   #13

Im still looking to see you driving around town. If see some nut waving at you its probably me.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:43 PM   #14

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioboxster
Im still looking to see you driving around town. If see some nut waving at you its probably me.
I do check out other Porsches out on the road, so maybe so. I am up around Akron.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak
I do check out other Porsches out on the road, so maybe so. I am up around Akron.
Me too, thats why I look for you.