Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

Air volume at the dash vents...

I noticed that when turning the fan up, I can hear the fan motor increase in speed, however I’m not feeling the increase in air coming from the vents.

I have made sure the vent roller was in the open position, and all of the buttons for the dash, upper, and lower vents were lit. I cycled through each individual vent while also changing the speed.

I thought i had read, that the ignition switch could be a culprit, but I have already replaced it. I’m not sure if its the resistor, because as i said previously, I can hear the motor change speed.

So the easy question is:

What’s next?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I forgot to add info on vehicle: 1998 Base Conv.

Last edited by jazzman_q; 08-17-2020 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Forgot vehicle info
jazzman_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #2
A Porsche Guy

When was the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

You can test the air flow on the driver side by removing the accordion plastic ductwork right underneath the footwell past the booklet tray. You just push and yank it out. I removed the booklet tray for more legroom.

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-17-2020 at 09:42 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
When was the last time you changed the cabin air filter?

You can test the air flow on the driver side by removing the accordian plastic ductwork right underneath the footwell past the booklet tray. You just push and yank it out. I removed the booklet tray for more legroom.
I replaced the cabin air filter as soon as I go the vehicle. (Two weeks ago)
Old 08-17-2020, 09:41 AM   #4
A Porsche Guy

How is the airflow when changing fan speeds with the accordion ductwork removed as I suggested? This ductwork connects the air flow from the center console to your driver side vent.

I would remove the cabin air filter to see if that's the cause if you didn't have this issue before.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/378688d1250375962-sprint-booster-install-on-a-986-air-duct-removal.jpg
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/378696d1250376146-sprint-booster-install-on-a-986-approximate-location-copy.jpg

Last edited by 1PorscheBoxster986; 08-17-2020 at 09:45 AM.
1PorscheBoxster986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:23 PM   #5

I removed the ductwork, and did not feel any air coming out of the center console opening, no matter what speed or vent selection. I also did not feel any air coming out of the windshield vents either.

Thanks for your assistance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PorscheBoxster986 View Post
How is the airflow when changing fan speeds with the accordion ductwork removed as I suggested? This ductwork connects the air flow from the center console to your driver side vent.

I would remove the cabin air filter to see if that's the cause if you didn't have this issue before.

https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/378688d1250375962-sprint-booster-install-on-a-986-air-duct-removal.jpg
https://rennlist.com/forums/attachments/boxster-and-boxster-s-986-forum/378696d1250376146-sprint-booster-install-on-a-986-approximate-location-copy.jpg
Old 08-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

[QUOTE=1PorscheBoxster986;622755]How is the airflow when changing fan speeds with the accordion ductwork removed as I suggested? This ductwork connects the air flow from the center console to your driver side vent.

I tried to post a response, not sure where it went.

But I pulled the ductwork you mentioned, and there was no change in the lack of airflow. The motor still increased as i went from low to high, but there was no change.

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-19-2020, 03:54 PM   #7

Problem Update with link to video

I have checked both fuses (D6) and Relay #18, and both seem to be working as intended.

I shot a video to better demonstrate the issue, and since I wasn’t sure if I could post it here, Here’s a link.

https://youtu.be/LWXblqoGy4Y

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

(FYI, I pm’d one of the moderators, as my posts seem to require approval, im just trying to get help.)

Thanks again
Old 08-20-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

Additional info

I was trying to trouble shoot (or at least looking at things) I noticed that this “pink” armed actuator doesn’t move at all, and I think it may the cause of my problems. Can anyone identify this part? I cant upload pics from my iPhone or i would share the pic!

I did note that the faint amount of air i can feel moving does change temperature as i move from low temps to High, Which leads me to believe that the temperature control flap is working.

Is there anyone who can provide some assistance, I have searched high and low, and i doubt that this could be a problem that hasn’t been encountered before.

Thanks
Old 08-21-2020, 04:50 AM   #9
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman_q View Post
I was trying to trouble shoot (or at least looking at things) I noticed that this “pink” armed actuator doesn’t move at all, and I think it may the cause of my problems. Can anyone identify this part? I cant upload pics from my iPhone or i would share the pic!

I did note that the faint amount of air i can feel moving does change temperature as i move from low temps to High, Which leads me to believe that the temperature control flap is working.

Is there anyone who can provide some assistance, I have searched high and low, and i doubt that this could be a problem that hasn’t been encountered before.

Thanks
Sounds like a challenge. Is that pink actuator supposed to move? Under what conditions? What might cause it to not move? What might be done to cause it to move. Maybe it just needs to be replaced. You might have some more research and reading ahead of you.

If you do upload a pic please make certain it fits the page. None of those ****************ing extraordinary oversized pictures. You're new. Please, don't be the guy that is incapable of posting a reasonably sized pic that requires hours of scrolling. Maybe do some reading on sizing pics.

Other than that... welcome to the club. See ya around. Have a nice day.
Old 08-22-2020, 04:57 AM   #10

I have tried to upload a pic, however, I am at a loss.

The upload page says pics no larger that 2mb, and that the page will re-size, so when i attempt to upload a picture smaller that 2mb i get an error message saying the 1.5mb pic is to big...

anyway around this issue, so that i can get to my regularly programed issue?
Old 08-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #11

test upload #6
Old 08-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #12
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
The servo with the purple linkage handles the temperature adjustments, and the servo with the green linkage handles air direction between dash and footwell/windshield.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:29 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
The servo with the purple linkage handles the temperature adjustments, and the servo with the green linkage handles air direction between dash and footwell/windshield.
Thanks, im leaning towards replacing the purple servo, as it never moves, the green does, but I can’t find anywhere (even other forums) where anyone has had this problem.

Frustration is becoming my constant companion on this issue.

Thanks